Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Specialized S-Works Allez - how much?

Can someone please explain to me why the S-Works Allez (made of "E5" Aluminium) is worth £1500? Although this is bargainalicious compared with the other S-Works framesets (£2.6k+).

What can possibly make it worth almost twice as much as a Cannondale CAAD10 (£800)?

It seems to my jaded eye that a lot of the claims made by Specialized are, in fact, gimmicks. I'd have fallen for these some years back, but not now. (Anyone else remember the Metal Matrix Composite frame?)

I'm lucky enough to work, occasionally, near a Specialized Concept Store (another bit of marketing/gimmickry - it's just a mainly-own-brand shop) and was thinking of getting a Body Geometry fit done there, but there's a certain level of guilt involved if I don't intend to buy a Specialized frameset.

So, defenders of the Specialized faith, tell me what would make me stump up for an S-Works Allez (which is for my talents, overpriced)? Other people who've ridden it & comparable frames, your thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, no complaints from me with regards to my S-Works Tarmac SL4; it's very comfortable over long rides, it weighs close to 6kg fully built, looks great, rides great, feels solid and compares very well to other carbon bikes I've owned.

I don't own an S-Works Allez but I do own an Allez e5 SL and the ride is of the same standard of the tarmac, it just weighs a bit more.

Perhaps people see lots of Specialized's because they're good all rounders. If you want exclusivity then look elsewhere! 

gizgaz | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just bought one of these with full Ultegra really cheap on ebay. Have to say it's thoroughly excellent. Comfortable and extremely light. Regardless of 'S-works' tags and being over priced, this is still a good looking extremely light frame (1kg) for £1500.
I've ridden an S-Works Tarmac, and currently own a Pinarello F8, and I have to say, even in that company, it's a really great bike. The fact it's 'only' £1500 (compared to the tarmac), with the vast majority of the performance makes it a steal (in my opinion). I've also seen a review that show's the BB deflection to be the same as the Tarmac. 

russyparkin | 9 years ago
1 like

normal specialneedz are over priced

but add an s-works paint job and your the latest member of the smoke and mirrors club

redmeat | 9 years ago
1 like

It's not worth £1500, but it costs £1500 because of things like 'Concept Stores'. Something has to pay for all those fancy tiles and wood effect paneling.

Shep73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

A large portion of carbon S Works are made by Merida as well. I like Specialized but the S Works range is silly money, especially when De Rosa, Colnago and Cervelo do some nicer looking bikes with a good level of equipment on for a lot less money. Looking at the Cervelo S5 myself, far better looking than the S works in my opinion.

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

It has "S-Works" written on it. For those that buy them, this is all that matters.*

*I say this as someone who is equally guilty of falling for this kind of nonsense on an all too regular basis.  105 Surprisingly though, I've never really found the S-Works range all that exciting. Relatively heavy compared to other exotic frames, lacking in design flair, brand with little emotive connotations, lots of hyperbolic marketing (Maclaren Venge anyone?). Where I stay it also seems like every second bike I see has "S-Works" plastered on it.

These flagship super frames are practically fashion choices, there's no rational appeal in any of them, which is probably why opinions vary so widely!

Latest Comments