Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

London cycling culture and bicycle theft

Hi everyone
I’m researching London cycling culture for an post-graduate anthropology project and hoping that Road.cc members could take two minutes to fill in a short online survey. The project focusses on urban cyclist’s relationships with their bicycles and I’m particularly interested in hearing from those who have been victims of bike theft – an issue that I assume will have effected many members who live in London. The research is being carried out in compliance with Association of Social Anthropologists ethical guidelines and I will not be sharing the information with any third parties.

As a small token of thanks, anyone who submits a form by 30 June will be put into a draw to win a £20 Cycle Surgery voucher (don’t forget to enter an email address so that I can contact you if you have won).

The survey can be found here: http://bit.ly/1ntTOvD

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Regards

Ryan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

md6 | 9 years ago
0 likes

filled in best I could. also a few comments left - tried to be constructive but I think its good overall, like OldRidgeback said, I only applied it to one bike not all of them

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorted - didn't quite fit into some of the categories put before me but then I suppose it's difficult to produce a catch all set of survey questions.

One thing important I think missing was that it didn't ask how many bicycles someone has. I've three now and had four not so long ago and may get a fourth again. My answers refer to the most valuable ride, but my two other bikes are different types. If I get the fourth, it'll be a different type again.

Ryan Dunn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stands with integrated chains were tested a few years ago in Camden by the Design Against Crime Research Centre (www.designagainstcrime.com) but the design didn't progress beyond prototype stage. You can see a photo of the design here: http://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/newsitems/ccc/newsitems-2007/design-aga...

bikebot replied to Ryan Dunn | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ryan Dunn wrote:

Stands with integrated chains were tested a few years ago in Camden by the Design Against Crime Research Centre (www.designagainstcrime.com) but the design didn't progress beyond prototype stage. You can see a photo of the design here: http://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/newsitems/ccc/newsitems-2007/design-aga...

Cheers, interesting read. I wonder if anywhere else in the world has implemented something like that, something to do a little research on later. "Two good locks" may be worthwhile security advice, but that would be almost 3kg in weight!

bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is a little off topic from the survey itself, but I've just had a thought of something and this seems like a good place to ask.

One of the basic reasons why so many bikes are stolen is because of low quality locks. With councils seemingly installing sheffield stands everywhere, would it make sense to adapt them so that a strong chain is a part of the stand?

The weight of a good lock can be a problem and I'm sure like many people here, when I've used a bike to commute to work I used to leave the lock on the stand rather than carry it backwards and forward. My idea is that if all the public stands already had a heavy (think motorbike size) chain attached to the stand by a bracket, all you would have to carry is a good quality padlock.

Am I mad, or does this make sense to anyone?

MarcMyWords replied to bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hey Bikebot - I do see a lot of people leaving locks on the bike stands near my office. However, I read that you shouldn't do that as it gives thieves something to try new picking techniques / cutting tools on!

andyp replied to MarcMyWords | 9 years ago
0 likes
MarcMyWords wrote:

Hey Bikebot - I do see a lot of people leaving locks on the bike stands near my office. However, I read that you shouldn't do that as it gives thieves something to try new picking techniques / cutting tools on!

That, and it's really bloody annoying when you want to use a stand and there's a bunch of locks on it.

bikebot replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:
MarcMyWords wrote:

That, and it's really bloody annoying when you want to use a stand and there's a bunch of locks on it.

It's also really annoying when someone comes along and uses your stand, even though you left a lock on it so everyone knows it's reserved! Next time I'll leave a towel as well  21

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Would be worth posting this on LFGSS forum, if you haven't already.

Ryan Dunn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies everyone. The survey has had a great response so far.
Regards

Ryan

Bob's Bikes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good survey wish you well with your project.

Ryan Dunn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your comments, they're much appreciated.

levermonkey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well done Ryan,
A good survey with intelligent questions. Hope you get enough responses to make your data valid. I wish you the best of luck.

Ryan Dunn | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Now this is interesting.

It makes a refreshing change from the usual "design" projects trying to re-invent stuff that has already been invented.

Latest Comments