Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Forum game idea - Eurovision National Championships

Hey, I had an idea

As I understand it, most european nations have their national championships within the week 21-29 June. How about a game for the forum where we pick 9 riders of various nationalities and bet on who will get the national jerseys. Some Jerseys are a lucky dip, some are whether that nation's star rider turns up or not.

My thoughts were:

1. at least 5 riders must be from the top 10 european nations (per PCS - apologies to Gkam) - Spain, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Great Britain, Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Norway. The other 4 can be from anywhere else within the EU and can pick more than 5 from the top 10 nations.

2. No budget as frankly irrelevant in this circumstance

3. One rider per nation (though unsure why this should be enforced)

4. 10 points for a win, 5 for 2nd and 2 for 3rd, outside of the podium is irrelevant. All nations are equal

5. Road race only, no TT's (Bad luck Jungels fans)

6. Result must be reported by PCS or cycling fever by Monday 30 June. If you took the time to study the parcours and riders of the Cypriot national championships but then they don't report until the following week, nul points.

There is unlikely to be any significant advance data on these races, a lot of the time the first we will hear is the result. Chances of finding out which riders are entering their championships may also be slim. Accordingly I would suggest deadline would be 7pm Wednesday 18th June, just in case any races are run Thursday or Friday.

Any ideas to augment this game would be gratefully received. I'm happy to run and will post my team nearer to the deadline. If you want to play post a team below:

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

RESULTS ARE IN

Belgium - (Debusschere, Jans, Boonen)
DJB & I had Boonen, 2pts each

France - (Demare, Bouhanni, Reza)
Ghed, Djb and I had Demare, 5pts. Joel and TERadcliffe had Bouhanni, 3pts.

Germany (Greipel, Degenkolb, Bauhaus)
TERadcliffe had Greipel, 5pts, Joel, Ghed and I had Degenkolb

GB (Kennaugh, Swift, S Yates)
Everyone had Ben Swift - 3points all round

Holland (Langeveld, Terpstra, W. Kreder)
Only TER scored with Terpstra, 3pts

Italy (Nibbles, Formolo, Rabottini)
Only DJB scored with Formolo, 3pts

Norway (Jacobsen, Eidsheim, Eiking)
Irrelevant. If any of us had even heard of any of these riders it would be a miracle. Kristoff was 16th and Enger 17th btw.

Spain (I.Izaguirre, Valverde, Barbero)
DJB and I picked Izaguirre, 5pts; Ghed had Valverde 3pts.

Switzerland (Elminger, Albasini, Morabito)
No-one picked anyone who scored.

Final scores:
=1 Djb123 (18)
=1 Twybaydos (18)
=3 TERadcliffe26 (14)
=3 Ghedebrav (14)
5 Joelsim (9)

Thanks for playing everyone. That was a lot easier to score than expected.

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

deadline is this evening at 11pm

djb123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Belgium: Boonen
France: Demare
Germany: Ciolek
GB: Swift
Holland: Dumoulin
Italy: Formolo
Norway: Sondre Holst Enger
Switzerland: Cancellara
Spain: Ion Izagirre

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

My new team, following Cav's withdrawal

Belgium: Gilbert
France: Bouhanni
Germany: Degenkolb
Holland: Bos
Italy: Colbrelli
Norway: Kristoff
Spain: Herrada
Switzerland: Frank

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

NEW TEAM!!!

Belgium: GVA
Italy: Nizzolo <-- NEW
Norway: Kristoff <-- NEW
Switzerland: Wyss (Danilo)
Spain: Valverde

Ta.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think Ulissi will be winning the Italian National.

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

Italy: Ulissi
Norway: EBH

TERatcliffe26 replied to Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:

Italy: Ulissi
Norway: EBH

I wouldn't go EBH, I believe he is injured well he is out of the tour

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Italy: Bongiorno
Belgium: Meersman
Spain: Rojas
Holland: Terpstra
Germany: Greipel
Switzerland: Kohler

Swapped out Ulissi

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Belgium: Gilbert
GB: Cav
Holland: Hofland
Italy: Colbrelli
Spain: Herrada
Switzerland: Frank

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'll have a look today

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hey - anyone wanting to enter? Deadline is Friday.

People on reddit have been writing about their local championships at http://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/28wh5r/nationals_preview_write_... this may help

TERatcliffe26 replied to Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes
Twybaydos wrote:

Hey - anyone wanting to enter? Deadline is Friday.

People on reddit have been writing about their local championships at http://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/28wh5r/nationals_preview_write_... this may help

Nice piece there. Post mine shortly

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just road race. This could be a hassle

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Are we doing road race and TT?

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

My team:
Belgium: Tom Boonen
France: Arnaud Demare
Germany: John Degenkolb
GB: Ben Swift
Holland: Bauke Mollema
Italy: Sonny Colbrelli
Norway: Alexander Kristoff
Spain: Ion Izagirre
Switzerland: Matthias Frank

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Right - Let's Kick this off

1) Championships are pretty much all the weekend of 28/29 June. Deadline will be Friday 27th at 11pm
2) We will do the top 9 nations: Belgium, France, Germany, GB, Holland, Italy, Norway, Switzerland, Spain. Please put in that order for my excel.
3) Please note that, at the time of writing, only Spanish teams are likely to compete in Spain due to a row over expenses. No J-Rod, David Lopez
4) In the event that any nation holds their championships before Saturday 28th it will be replaced by Slovenia. Because I have a man crush on Mohoric.
5) Points are 5,3,2 for first, second and third
6) I can't be bothered to check parcours or riders so I'm picking randomly but may change at any time up to Friday 11pm. If you find information on a stage please let everyone else know, or keep it to yourself.
7) British information is very good http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nationalroadchampionships. German info is atrocious.

0 likes

Yup I am

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Everyone still up for this?

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd be up for this.  4

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

French, Belgium and British championships are all 29 June, Italy is 28th. I will aim to search the other federations' websites to confirm dates for the others (I tried looking at germany, that was not a happy time). If everything is 28/29 June then I'll push deadline back.

0 likes

Fair enough, id just maybe tweek the scoring, rather than 10,5,2, maybe go 5,3,2? Like you say the podium results should be easy to come by.

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice

I agree with the doctor to cut down on my loftier ambitions and limit to nine races. Personally I'll pick Holland over Russia. Everyone in Russia rides for Katusha or Rusvelo so the race can be controlled. The sheer randomness of most national championships is what will make the game.

TER - nice idea on the Omnium points but I'd only recommend doing that where we are sure of the riders. I don't think there will be much decent startlist information in advance of the race (especially if a championship is on 28/29 June rather than 21/22) and there is a risk that people will pick riders on reputation who don't turn up. Also, as a one-dayer, pro riders out of the mix will give up early whilst continental team riders will aim for ninth. I'm worried about getting decent information quickly and I would hope that at least the podium would be available on the night (PCS/twitter), with full results to trickle in later.

Accordingly I would stick with 3-2-1 unless the majority disagrees with me.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd be up for that.

0 likes

You could do omnium style scoring?

so you pick the winner you get 0 points, through to 9 for 10th and any rider outside of those positions automatically gets 10 points.

Just an idea to make it abit different, and encourage people not to just pick the potential podium guys, as would still get something out of the lower places. Also keeps others in the game if they pick 5th place in the first 4 races, against one that picked all winners as the gap would just be 16 points rather than 40 based on your scoring

Like I say just a idea

Also do you have the dates of those that week, as I'd suggest the 9 be Spain, Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, GB, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Norway

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's an interesting idea and one that you could run but I would suggest you narrow the field down a little bit so it's easier to manage. Giving a list of nine major championships that players must pick a rider for would mean you only need to score nine races and that makes it much easier to score at the end.

Latest Comments