Hey, I had an idea
As I understand it, most european nations have their national championships within the week 21-29 June. How about a game for the forum where we pick 9 riders of various nationalities and bet on who will get the national jerseys. Some Jerseys are a lucky dip, some are whether that nation's star rider turns up or not.
My thoughts were:
1. at least 5 riders must be from the top 10 european nations (per PCS - apologies to Gkam) - Spain, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Great Britain, Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Norway. The other 4 can be from anywhere else within the EU and can pick more than 5 from the top 10 nations.
2. No budget as frankly irrelevant in this circumstance
3. One rider per nation (though unsure why this should be enforced)
4. 10 points for a win, 5 for 2nd and 2 for 3rd, outside of the podium is irrelevant. All nations are equal
5. Road race only, no TT's (Bad luck Jungels fans)
6. Result must be reported by PCS or cycling fever by Monday 30 June. If you took the time to study the parcours and riders of the Cypriot national championships but then they don't report until the following week, nul points.
There is unlikely to be any significant advance data on these races, a lot of the time the first we will hear is the result. Chances of finding out which riders are entering their championships may also be slim. Accordingly I would suggest deadline would be 7pm Wednesday 18th June, just in case any races are run Thursday or Friday.
Any ideas to augment this game would be gratefully received. I'm happy to run and will post my team nearer to the deadline. If you want to play post a team below: