Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best vehicle you've ever drafted?

**This is all a bit of fun, I'm not exactly condoning it, as its not the brightest idea. We've all done it though!**

On a long descent the other day i managed to tuck in behind a pretty tidy Aston Martin, and this got me wondering what the best car you've ever drafted was? (Would have been an expensive crash if he slammed on his brakes!) The best tow I've got was off of a UPS van that looked to be going way over the speed limit.

Anyway, comment below!  103

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

a derny.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Picked up a draft off an HGV at a set of lights today, totally silent 30mph freewheel. The wind kicked in as soon as I pulled out to turn right.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Balloon tyred tractors. Best I had was on a 3 km stretch....but it was towing a slurry tank....It was a bit whiffy. Over 60 kph for the most part of the journey with very little effort....another time on a twistier road...I actually had to overtake a tractor as it was too slow...about 50 kph. ..lifted the rear wheel right off the ground as I pushed past it...running 53/11....

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had to draft a manic loaghtan sheep up a hill here a few months ago. Was in front for like 5 whole minutes......strong.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

Around where I live we still have a fleet of electric milk floats. They are great for drafting. Usually when they spot me they jump on my wheel. They usually get dropped when I'm pushing 15 mph though  24

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got this thread all wrong  26

I was going to say recently a Bentley and an Aston  24

Actually the cars mentioned above are true, just not as good as the dust cart last week, although the smell meant it was a short tow then overtake  31

chrisc | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tractor again for me, 28mph uphill for 5 miles till I was unable to hang on any longer as the gradient picked up. Turned off soon after so I could pretend I meant to be dropped.  1

russyparkin | 9 years ago
0 likes

little pissy 50cc scooters, dropped a few of them afterwards as well on the downhills.

best one ever had a woman in head to toe high viz, she must have been 16-17 stone,

got so many thumbs up from other road users ha ha ah a ha ha

vanmildert | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tractor and trailor on a narrow road - they don't stop quick and nothing is getting past them so you can sit in the middle of the road. Also they seem to indicate to turn off well in advance...  105

Grizzerly replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

For touring, a JCB is bliss, they do about 20 mph constant and decelerate slowly, nice high exhaust too and with a flashing orange light.

Absolutely agree. I used to commute from Handsworth to Wolverhampton Poly. Two or three times a week, I would catch a JCB travelling from a road construction site in Darlaston to a depot in Handsworth. It made life much easier!

SammitySam | 9 years ago
0 likes

Recently drafted a tractor at 23mph - rode 10ft behind it and still felt the pull, not that fast but my first drafting experience - loved it!

SammitySam | 9 years ago
0 likes

Recently drafted a tractor at 23mph - rode 10ft behind it and still felt the pull, not that fast but my first drafting experience - loved it!

Pages

Latest Comments