Which road bike - from 3 (off shelf carbon or custom alloy?)

by Stringbean80   May 29, 2014  

Hi I have narrowed next bike purchase down to three but would like some advice to differentiate between the 3.

I am quite tall at 6 foot 5 which has limited my choice - the bikes in question are:-

Cervelo R3 105 2014 61cm frame
Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 (Ultegra)/9.0 Pro (Chorus) 2XL frame
Wyndy Milla Lightning Seed (Custom build - alloy) 105

Basically two are off the shelf so I would have to do the necessary adjustments to get position correct on bike whereas with the custom this would be taken care of in the build. The only downside with the custom is that it is alloy as opposed to carbon (but I have only ever ridden aluminium so wouldn't really know any different)

Cheers

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Why not Titanium?

posted by wellcoordinated [82 posts]
29th May 2014 - 7:38

3 Likes

No real reason other than size - only Ti frame I could find in right proportions and price bracket was the Kinesis Grandfondo Ti but this would end up being out of price range with 105 group set.

posted by Stringbean80 [3 posts]
29th May 2014 - 13:18

1 Like

It has to be one of the first two, can you take a frame builder seriously who names a frame something stupid like Wyndy Milla?

posted by Welsh boy [134 posts]
29th May 2014 - 21:22

2 Likes

Have you tried the OTS versions for fit?

Im 6'3" and ride a 62cm and that only just fits after having a bike fit, so personally Id go for the custom unless I knew I could definitely make the ots one fit

posted by keirik [30 posts]
30th May 2014 - 10:27

3 Likes

Go to a bike shop and try them out. Or at least, try something out, make a note of the geometry if it works, then try to match that. Buying without testing, or without a very clear idea of geometry, is a risk.

drmatthewhardy's picture

posted by drmatthewhardy [348 posts]
30th May 2014 - 12:35

2 Likes

Thanks for comments - I have had a retul bike fit and know the geometry I require. Downside with the Canyon is not being able to have a test ride but the components you get are a class above the other two...
The difficult thing is actually tracking down bikes that are in the right size to test - most shops only have the mid-sizes available in store to sit on etc. This is then compounded by the bike manufacturers making less of the large and small frame sizes.
Will try and locate some vendors nearer to home to go and try out some OTS options.

posted by Stringbean80 [3 posts]
30th May 2014 - 14:11

4 Likes

Wyndymilla really do make ugly bikes, don't they? What an awful, awful logo too.

posted by bashthebox [646 posts]
30th May 2014 - 14:34

1 Like

Welsh boy wrote:
It has to be one of the first two, can you take a frame builder seriously who names a frame something stupid like Wyndy Milla?

Wyndy Milla is a brand not a frame name.

The name comes from combining parts of the founders names
Henry Wynd(y)ham Furniss
and Nasima CaMilla Siddiqui

The frame names are:
Lightning Seed - Sportive
Big Geranium - Road Race
Massive Attack - Road Race
Beastie Boy - Road Race /Track
Foo Fighter - Aero / Road
Saw Doctor - TT Triathlon
Johnny Cake Touring
Puddle of Mud - Cyclo Cross
Bog Warrior - MTB

Their shop is about a mile from where I live. Their bikes are expensive. But I reckon they look pretty cool. I can afford one but I couldn't live up to it. I prefer to have a range of other bikes than just one of theirs.

I have been out on a few of their Saturday morning rides. Nice enough people but not much discipline like a proper club might have. Riders all over the road and quite a lot of people using racey tyres on a club run so a fair few punctures. I also have a psychological problem with people riding a £5k bike but not bothering to lube the chain.

Just a bit too hippy dippy for me. But nice people.

Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand.

posted by oozaveared [658 posts]
30th May 2014 - 15:42

2 Likes

I like the idea of a Wyndy Milla - custom fit, paintjob etc, but the aesthetics are seriously marmite - the look just isn't for me. I believe they're also stiff with a capital S.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3310 posts]
30th May 2014 - 15:49

2 Likes

I'd go for frame over components every time.

posted by whars1 [24 posts]
31st May 2014 - 0:17

2 Likes