Home

just looking on MCC and there's much talk of exotic foreign sportives, but what's your fave UK ride? doesn't have to be a 'proper' sportive, well mine isn't anyway: www.exmouthexodus.co.uk

4 comments

thebikeboy [131 posts] 8 years ago
0 likes

Haven't done that many, but I did like the Dragon that was … hard. And I've heard tell of some pretty good smaller Welsh ones too – The Tour of Pembroke?
Oh, and I'd also like to do the Etape Caledonia, a few mates did that and while they said it wasn't especially hard they reckoned it was a great ride and doing it on closed roads made it all the more special.

ourmaninthenorth [81 posts] 8 years ago
0 likes

The hardest I have done is the Tour of Pembrokeshire this year. Three 25% climbs in the first 35 miles had me wondering if I could actually finish it.

And the sun shone all day, too, which kinda made it for me.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Tom

Tony Farrelly [2871 posts] 8 years ago
0 likes

A couple of mates of mine did the Pembrokshire and the Dragon and reckoned the former was really hard not that the Dragon wasn't - one of them had some pics of people pushing up the first of the reallly steep hills - 25 per cent and it didn't look short either. There were also some vid on Cyclosport I think - some poor fella who was well over-geared toppling off as he lost momentum on one of the steeper climbs.

ourmaninthenorth [81 posts] 8 years ago
0 likes

That first 25% climb is approached not with a run up, but around a hairpin bend, meaning that it's a slow grind up to the first turn, and then on towards the top.

The others were in and out of Fishguard. Sooo steep.