Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Will a Shimano 105 5701 Bicycle Rear Derailleur fit a 9 speed cassette

Im looking for a new Rear Derailleur and can only seem to find a 10 speed 105 and Ultergra.

Help please!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

dixfourtoes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all advice guys, I have decided to go with the Ultegra RD5600 short cage after all your advice. ProBikeKit has advised the same with the limit screws. Hopefully I can live with until I can upgrade my STI's to 10 Speed.  41

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

OK, haven't tried a 5700 series mech on 9 speed (i have one in a box so I might try it out and check) but I'm surprised it's so different from 10 spd 5600. The difference in width between a 9 and 10spd cassette is no more than 2mm.

ch | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shimano Tiagra HG50 9 Speed Road Cassette is now available for $16 at chainreactioncycles.com. I'm sure there is a similar price in the Brit Isles somewhere

robdaykin (not verified) | 9 years ago
0 likes

The 5701 10 speed will not work with a 9 speed cassette. The limit screws don't actually go far enough to let you get all 9 gears. The 10 speed is a narrower cassette surprisingly. I found this out the hard way. Even removing the limit screws doesn't give you more than 8 cogs and a rattle against the 9th. Fortunately for me I built a 10 speed drive train not long after, but no the 5701 won't work.

Tiagra or Sora should be fine though. The current TIagra derailleur is basically the old 9 speed 105.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It will work, but you'll have fun with the limiting screws to get it to stick to a 9 speed.

joemmo replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

It will work, but you'll have fun with the limiting screws to get it to stick to a 9 speed.

how's that? I've been running a RD-5600 on a 9 speed cassette for about 3 years, it's never been a problem.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

tiagra 4600 or sora 3500 will work just as well  1

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

yes it will. 9 & 10 speed derailleurs have the same pull ratio, 11 speed is different.

Latest Comments