Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

London Calling . . .

Music lovers take note :

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the release of 'London Calling' by The Clash, a milestone in rock music.

Play It Loud!

IMAGE(http://frameforum.org/lc2b4.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic.

Wonder if they'll do one for All wrapped up by the Undertones?

http://www.iwillfollow.com/ttwo/20071214_TheUndertones.jpg

Possibly not classic enough…

neilwheel | 14 years ago
0 likes

You've played the album, bought the t-shirt, now lick the stamp :

http://bit.ly/7Thldq

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

Sorry the Razorbacks sound like a lot of other bands out there and to me don't stand out from the crowd.

clubborntobike | 14 years ago
0 likes

If you like the Clash try these http://www.myspace.com/therazorbacks or type this in on You tube....Shooting Stars - By Leigh Bucknall..... he is the singer I was lucky enough to see the Clash Live when I was a kid and these are the best band Ive seen since......Albums out in Feb

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

'White Man at Hammersmith Palais' was always one of my favourite Clash songs.

Never a big Jam fan but did like 'down at the tube station at midnight' Living in the Midlands never really 'lived' it. Nearest for me was wandering around Willesden to/from seeing The Men They Couldn't Hang on one of there last gigs. (Reformed later)

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

spotify has been distracting me from all the other things i should be doing for some time now..  4

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just found Your Ready Now by Slaughter and the Dogs, the tune me and my mates used to have to play before we hit the town...good times

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Spotify has been serving me up some gems this morning, Smash It Up and Love Song followed by The Wait and Requiem and finished off with The Subs Tomorrows Girls.

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

Great album - one of my all time favourites - I have it on vinyl and CD. When I saw the Clash in Edinburgh in the early 80s, I got to the mosh pit and then when they reached the end of their set Joe Strummer leaned forward and asked, "What do you want us to play?"

I shouted out, "Guns of Brixton," and you can guess what they played.

I play the song to my kids and we sing along and do the actions. They're Brixton born and bred.

Simon_MacMichael replied to OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes
OldRidgeback wrote:

I play the song to my kids and we sing along and do the actions. They're Brixton born and bred.

That immediately made me think of Mickey Gallagher's daughter doing a version of Guns of Brixton on Sandanista  1

Talking of Guns of Brixton, I can still remember the disappointment I felt the first time I ever heard that bass intro on the Radio 1 breakfast show back in the day, big grin on my face as I prepared to sing along, and it turned out to be Dub Be Good To Me.

Still catches me out.

0 likes

Down in the Tube Station was my favourite too… had quite a few close encounters down there

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Guns of Brixton and Clash City Rockers will always be my favourite tracks of the Clash.

Tube Station at Midnight by The Jam always summed up the feeling of the time, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time for me.

I found myself similar situations quite often back in those days - I remember a major shoeing by a crew of Millwall skinheads who got on my bus, I was the only local skinhead on there! I did alright considering, but me against about 40 was tough going!

0 likes

I'll have a dig around Blackhound - should still be in my loft, got a mighty crate of vinyl up there and I don't play London Calling often. Though it might be sacrilege to say it here I thought it would have made a really great single album… possibly they'd stretched themselves a bit thin over two discs… mind you, it was a big return to form after their second album… got that on vinyl too, and the first one, stopped after London Calling though.

For me none of their albums match up to the single White Man in Hammersmith Palais (not selling that btw) a real slice of the sense of danger that accompanied a night out in London in the late 70s particularly the sudden realisation that you were somewhere where your face didn't fit and that if you didn't get out pronto various other vital parts of your body were going to stop fitting too.

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I remember seing them at the Fridge in Brixton in the eighties. Not a great time for a lone skinhead on the Railton Rd!

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

Wonderful album, saw them not long after the release at the Assembly Rooms in Derby.

Never got it on vinyl for some reason but have the CD.

If you track down that vinyl copy Tony and you want to sell I would be interested - still listen to a lot of vinyl....

LondonCalling | 14 years ago
0 likes

Excellent pic! B)

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

that'll be side three tony, and its great..got Koka Kola on it "goooing up"

some reason i have two copies..

0 likes

Me too. Still got it at home on vinyl somewhere…

I thought there were a couple of duff tracks though. One side didn't get much of an airing the one with the Card Cheat on it. Think it was called that anyway.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

One side didn't get much of an airing the one with the Card Cheat on it. Think it was called that anyway.

Ok, so of the four tracks on side 3, Koka Kola's never been my favourite Clash song, but the other three, Wrong 'Em Boyo, Death or Glory and The Card Cheat are all classics. IMHO, of course, but still not tired of listening to them after 30 years...

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

I remember it coming out.

Its a fabulous album with not a duff track to be found, so diverse.

Latest Comments