Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Niterider - Who's doing it, who for and any special equipment?

A couple of weeks to go until I start a 100-km ride through London at midnight on open roads.
Riding for (pleasure) GOSH Great Ormond St Hospital.
I have some spoke lights, Two each front and rear standard lights, and am hoping to use soft tone LED's on the frame as well. New Wheels and chain / Cassette gong on this week to firm up the ride and give me greater options on the hills.
Training hasn't gone too well  17 but managed to do a 50k ride this weekend.
www.justgiving.com/wayneshaer -

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've done it three times, don't underestimate the cold, plenty of layers but no one piece too thick. Plenty of food too, though you get bananas and chocolate at the rest stops, and at Alexandra Palace, there is a food truck.

If you're using a garmin, consider playing with the settings to save power as I found mine dying with the backlight on consistently.

jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The route for this year has been uploaded in the Participants Area of the Nightrider website as a .gpx file.

Looking forward to seeing the Velodrome.

Feel a bit sorry for those starting at Ally Pally as you go through London in the dark and get the generally boring bits when the sun is coming up  3

jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did Nightrider last year. I had a Lezyne Micro Drive front and rear and a Topeak led bar light on the back. They were all still going when I finished after about 6 hours of riding but they were not really needed after about 4.30am as the sun was on it's way up.

Some people were lit up light Christmas trees, literally, with battery powered led lights all over the place.

I tended to ride with groups of other riders so there was plenty of red lights to show you were there and in general the street lighting was more than adequate for seeing where you were going.

I did the ride on a 40 year old steel Peugeot with only 10 gears so don't worry too much about replacing parts unless they are really worn. There was one bloke on an old Marin mountain bike that probably hadn't seen a spanner of sponge for 3 or 4 years. You could here him coming from 50m away and he made it to the finish OK.

On the Hi-Viz, which you must wear along with a helmet, you are given a very fetching orange tabard on the night. I've still got mine. It undoes all your layering efforts by trapping your sweat between your outer shell layer and the tabard.

On the training. I have to confess that the longest prep ride I did was about 23 miles. Unless you're looking to blitz it, which is not really the purpose, the breaks every 20K give you a chance to relax and recoup before the next stage. Above all have fun and take time out to stop and take pictures especially as were going to Buck House and the Velodrome this year.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you know how long your batteries last, and how long you are expecting the ride to take? Also how much time before and after will you need your lights? How much fluoro clothing have you got? Food and drink too, shops will probably be closed, so you'll need to allow for that.

jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi.
I'm doing Nightrider too. Where are you starting from?
Mine's CP at about 11.30pm.

stealfwayne replied to jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes
jova54 wrote:

Hi.
I'm doing Nightrider too. Where are you starting from?
Mine's CP at about 11.30pm.

Other end, I start at Alley Palley as it's close to home (Finchley)
Last year the batteries lasted the journey in all my lights, even the Lupine mtb lights that weigh in at more than my wheels was still burning bright in the morning.

Agree on the training, the route is via 200 traffic lights so stops aplenty. No need to bust a gut and be struggling at the end. It's no race (though tell that to the full on lycra crew who I stuck with early doors last year)

Good Luck all - my advice is to be fully aware - driver's, drunks, dancers everywhere including the road.

Latest Comments