Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 16

Looks like it may be cancelled on the Stelvio as it's snowing heavily. A shorter route planned with much less climbing and lower category mountains ie no Cima Coppi. Hope you haven't changed your team yet!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Purely badge collecting now. Want the podium badge but think tomorrow may be more chance of that  39

1 change(5 for tomorrow) today dropped kelderman for Rabottini

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Top of the Gavia earlier today

pic.twitter.com/HSILMtoVfk

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gone like this, could go horribly wrong though based on what you guys are saying. (having said that I had a decent first week, a terrible 2nd week, so how about a great 3rd week  39 )

Quintana
Pozzovivo
Kelderman
Uran
Majka
Aru
Arredondo
Wellens
Quintero

cgipryan replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

[/quote]

Yes I saw Festina looming on the table, and seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it. If it works great, if it doesn't then all I've lost is a few places. No prizes for 4th or below and I already have a pair of sunnies for the Giro.[/quote]

I missed podiums this year by risking too much at the back end of races trying to go all out for the win (had a flourish of non-podium top 10s as a consequence), so I'm trying a more conservative approach to see where that will take me... probably nowhere, I fear...

ray silvester replied to livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

Purely badge collecting now. Want the podium badge but think tomorrow may be more chance of that  39

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

Welcome to the Rabo-train........I was beginning to think I was mad picking him!!

JAndrewHill | 9 years ago
0 likes

Seems they might ride the Gavia as a group, well that's the rumor see how conditions are; so maybe no break

Joelsim replied to JAndrewHill | 9 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

Seems they might ride the Gavia as a group, well that's the rumor see how conditions are; so maybe no break

That wouldn't surprise me, no point in trying to get away on a downhill.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Ulissi, he is 2nd on the KOM classification and finished the last stage 16 mins down, obviously taking it easy. Or he has given up!

enrique replied to Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Mine could all go horribly wrong, and given the fact that I haven't made a break so far...and I'm 89 points behind the leader, in desperation I picked the following.

Julian David Arredondo (TFR)
Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Nairo Alexander Quintana (MOV)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)
Fabio Andres Duarte (COL)

Joelsim wrote:

...seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it.

I don't think that's quite the risk you seem to think it is... It actually seems extremely sensible to me... not (!) desperate at all (!). All the guys you picked for the break are the Top 4 in the KOM competition... so it makes sense they'd fight it out today... no real risk there... unless they stayed in the bunch and sent out teammates to nullify any gains made by the others, which doesn't sound right... but I don't think that's a desperate move at all (!)... I really can't imagaine any of the GC guys bothering to hit out from afar, so I think you're covered (!) Even the guy at the top of the rankings probably considered doing what you did as the most sensible thing to do today...  7 I think it will pay off for you handsomely you slick player you!  4

cgipryan wrote:

I'm just behind you in the GC...

You're playing well, too! Chapeau to you too!  41

0 likes

I believe Ulissi is 3rd on mountains, and doubt he will catch Arredondo, I see Wellens as Arredondo's only serious competitor for the comp now. Arredondo will score some points, and at already nearly double that of Ulissi I can't see Ulissi putting too much in to trying to catch him.

Staying together as group could the just see the likes of Wellens and Arredondo fighting for the points at the top of the Gavia

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Let's assume that Ulissi wins at the top of the Gavia, Wellens 2nd, Monsalve 3rd, Arredondo 4th (yea I know I am dreaming), but that would put the cat amongst the pigeons (32, 20, 14, 10 points on offer).

Then the Stelvio...40, 28, 21, 15.

If Ulissi was to take both of those he would have 111. Arredondo if 4th in both would have 100.

simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pictures in Italian http://www.hahabar.com/20140506/v-haha_sport_9_name-814507-536810cd7dc42...

Chalapud on the attack.

Helicopters seem to be grounded so live pics a bit intermittent.

Or French if you prefer http://www.stream-foot.tv/channel1.html

simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gavia KoM :-
1 Chalapud
2 Arredondo
3 Pantano

livestrongnick replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:
livestrongnick wrote:

Monslave
Wellens
Arredondo
Evans
Uran
Aru
Pozzo
Majka

Welcome to the Rabo-train........I was beginning to think I was mad picking him!!

He's currently off the back with Basso 2mins back  24

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bugger. That's me done for the comp I think.

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
cyclingnews wrote:

14:13:44 CEST

Not confirmed yet but we think that Evans and Pozzovivo are currently a minute down on the Uran group.

and

cyclingnews wrote:

Crikey Cadel ‏@CrikeyCadel 3m

Just chatted with BMC soigneurs waiting for @CadelOfficial and @BMCProTeam on #Stelvio with cup of tea and new clothes #ThisAintPicnic

Basically, Evans and Pozzo having bad days, lots of attacking off the front, no idea whether the stage will be cancelled/shortened or what but lots of people complaining about the conditions.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Depends where you read it. Evans and Pozzo are either a minute up or a minute down.

Who knows!

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

89km remaining

Pelizzoti
Cataldo
Vuillermoz
Leading the stage

allezrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cataldo took Cimo Coppi on the Stelvio

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Crazy race, reports of the descent from the Stelvio being neutralised only for Cataldo to attack and put three minutes into the peloton on the way down and for Quintana/Rolland to put two minutes into Uran who got dropped along with Evans/Aru/Majka.

No sign of Pozzovivo at all.

chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep - position at the intermediate sprint (32km out) was I think...

Cataldo solo
Vuillermoz, Dupont, Pantano @1:02
Quintana, Rolland, Izagirre, Rabottini, Hesjedal @1:46
Maglia Rosa and most of the other contenders @3:20ish

Regardless of what on earth has gone on up to now, we're set for a great finale!

0 likes

Another terrible day for my team, gonna easily drop out of the top 100 tonight

0 likes

I think the Maglia Rosa group is...

Uran
Aru
Landa
Pozzovivo
Evans
Rogers
Majka
Kelderman
Lampre I think is Anacona
Kiserlovski
Seb Henao

About 1:45ish off Rolland, Quintana, Cataldo with Hesjedal close behind...

Thats with 17km of climbing still to go...

0 likes

8km to go, with Quintana/Rolland/Hesjedal in the lead. Stragglers have all been swallowed up, so Maglia Rosa group is second group on the road.

If telly time-gap is correct, Quintana group is 2:30 ahead, which would put Quintana 2nd and Rolland 5th. Surely some attacks soon from the Uran group...

0 likes

Rolland is cooked, hopefully he can find a rhythm and hang on for third. Another awesome ride on the Stelvio stage from Hesjedal, somehow hanging on to Quintana.

Kelderman, Majka, Uran, Pozzovivo, Aru and Henao have ditched Evans and Kiserlovski...

0 likes

Quintana
Hesjedal
Rolland @45 secs-ish
Kelderman great ride to pull away in the last 2km @3:30
Pozzovivo
Aru
Majka @4:07
Henao
Uran

0 likes

GC
1 Quintana
2 Uran @1:41
3 Evans @3:21

Hesjedal is 9th, with less than a minute separating 3rd-9th!

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well that was a mess dropping kelder and poz  31

simon F replied to chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

At least I only dropped wilco. Why do I keep thinking Duarte will do something  2 I would have had 1,4,5,6,7,8,9 otherwise. Oh well, it's only points.

chrisdstripes replied to chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

Ouch! Yeah me too - I didn't think either of them looked so good on the weekend.

I got 1,3,6,7,9 from my 5 GC guys, and maybe another 15 points from my other 4, so slight improvement for me.

chiv30 replied to chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

Ouch! Yeah me too - I didn't think either of them looked so good on the weekend.

I got 1,3,6,7,9 from my 5 GC guys, and maybe another 15 points from my other 4, so slight improvement for me.

Looking back on it I guess I only lost out on kelds points as I replaced poz with Rolland ....

Pages

Latest Comments