Home

Looks like it may be cancelled on the Stelvio as it's snowing heavily. A shorter route planned with much less climbing and lower category mountains ie no Cima Coppi. Hope you haven't changed your team yet!

73 comments

Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Boo! Had cleared the afternoon tomorrow especially to watch the queen stage.

Joelsim [1975 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Looks like it still has a cat 2 and 2 cat 1's so will still have plenty of mountain points on offer.

THE SILENT ASSASSIN [550 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Nooooo.....The Stelvio is what the Giro is all about...... This just about tops off my disastrous Giro 2014..... Gutted....  2 20 102

enrique [2383 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/vegni_current_conditions_are_ideal_for...

'Even though the Giro d’Italia organizers, RCS sport, are reluctant to make any official announcements as the weather in the mountains tends to change very rapidly, race director Mauro Vegni unofficially revealed Italian media that current conditions on Gavia and Stelvio passes are perfect to play the queen stage on its original route tomorrow.'

Philip Unwin [991 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

La Gazzetta has a tweet on its site saying that the stage is confirmed.
As of 12 minutes ago.

0 likes

Excellent.

0 likes

Slightly off topic, but either I can't find the 'real' official site for the Giro, or the Gazzetta official site isn't very good, particularly in that it doesn't offer anything like the Tour website which had that live graphic showing the time gaps, who's in the break, where the various jerseys are and so on.

Or is it just me?

dave atkinson [6299 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2014/it/

it does have a live ticker, the 'live' link comes up on the stage listing along the bottom. it's not as good as the tdf one though

0 likes

134 points available for the breakaway tomorrow, not counting the fuga pinarello or finish line points if they manage to stay out. who's break hunting?  3

giff77 [1262 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

As Enrique says. The original route is still on. Though if weather closes in that could change things.

Dave, thanks for the offer of a possible 134 points for a breakaway. I'll refuse. My picking is that diabolical that I'm not even going to attempt it  20

rcorbin [212 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

4 for the break, 5 GC guys!

0 likes

5 for the break, 4 GC for me.  13

Need to gamble as too many points behind first place.

0 likes

Yeah, it's a biggie for the break, and I've got an idea of who might go for it... but I've 'had an idea' many times before, and my track record is not good. Best of all would be one of the GC guys going for it, but that won't happen. They should give a bonus four minutes to the first guy over the Stelvio, that'd get 'em moving.

No, I had a plan and I'm going to stick to it. Probably.

The one guy I don't have who I think I might regret not having is Rolland. Looks like he's decided to get involved. Also perhaps Pirazzi will make his move.

0 likes

I have had several plans, this time it's shit or bust. Pirazzi and Rolland are good shouts

JAndrewHill [1212 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

My plan, GC all the way and one for the sprint. Full House here I come.

cgipryan [207 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Just took my guys for the break... I regretted my choices as soon as I hit the green button... long day coming up...

0 likes
cgipryan wrote:

Just took my guys for the break... I regretted my choices as soon as I hit the green button... long day coming up...

If it makes you feel any better Quintana has an ear infection and Pozzo has bronchitis.

We'll soon see.

Stelvio looks very cold indeed on the webcam.

http://www.passostelvio.com/ita-webcam.php

0 likes

4 in the break for me*

*they won't be in the break

ray silvester [1836 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

1 change today as targetting the sprint tomorow with 7 transfers....was going to save 8 but read that Scinto was talking up Rabottini's chances on the Stelvio a couple of days before the Depart in Belfast.

Rabottini in for Ulissi

Evans
Pozzovivo
Aru
Majka
Kelderman
Rabottini
Arredondo
Kiserlovski
Romero

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
cgipryan wrote:

If it makes you feel any better Quintana has an ear infection and Pozzo has bronchitis.

I have some mild doubts on both the ear infection and the bronchitis, so I kept Quintana and Pozzo... I was just saying that I regretted not picking other breakaway guys...

TERatcliffe26 [4698 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Ive got Quintana ad Pozz, I did fancy Rolland, but in order to have Rolland I couldn't have my guy for the break (1 of them), well I have three for the break, but 1 is a 3 credit rider.

0 likes

Mine could all go horribly wrong, and given the fact that I haven't made a break so far...and I'm 89 points behind the leader, in desperation I picked the following.

Julian David Arredondo (TFR)
Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Nairo Alexander Quintana (MOV)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)
Fabio Andres Duarte (COL)

drheaton [3318 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Quintana
Uran
Majka
Kelderman
Aru
Arredondo*
Zardini*
Wellens*
Monsalve*

* are for the break, rest for GC. I dropped Pozzo (illness), Landa, Duarte and Bandiera so hoping none of them does much (Duarte is my main worry, I believe the stories of illness re Pozzovivo).

adholman [75 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, I've taken a risk and dumped Pirazzi and Pozzovivo and brought in Quintana, Rolland, Wellens and Monsalve, hoping to make up for a few disastrous transition stages last week  16

0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Mine could all go horribly wrong, and given the fact that I haven't made a break so far...and I'm 89 points behind the leader, in desperation I picked the following.

Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)

I'm just behind you in the GC (3 points behind, I think), but chapeau for the bravery!

chrisdstripes [1738 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I was fairly conservative as I wasn't sure what was happening with the weather. Was always thinking De Gendt for today if Uran was out of the running, and Pirazzi if not, but thought Wellens was too obvious to miss, so couldn't quite afford Pirazzi. Ditched Pozz. Have a feeling Rolland might be the guy who really takes off this week.

Quintana, Uran, Aru, Majka
Arredondo, Wellens, Pellizotti, Rolland, Armee

cherrypicked [168 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Duarte and wellens in for kelderman and Godoy. Banking on Quintana and pozzovivo being better than they are trying to portray.

I picture the two of them with a two minute lead on the final climb
'No, I'm sicker than you, you take the lead'

ray silvester [1836 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

EBH withdraws.......

0 likes
cgipryan wrote:
Joelsim wrote:

Rafal Majka (TSB)
Diego Ulissi (LAM)
Yonathan Monsalve (NRI)
Wilco Kelderman (BLK)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Tim Wellens (LTB)

I'm just behind you in the GC (3 points behind, I think), but chapeau for the bravery!

Yes I saw Festina looming on the table, and seeing as though I'm 10th and I may as well be 100th, I decided to take a risk and go for it. If it works great, if it doesn't then all I've lost is a few places. No prizes for 4th or below and I already have a pair of sunnies for the Giro.

backflipbedlem [1200 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Duarte
Arredondo
Majka
Aru
Quintana
Monsalve
Pellizotti
Rolland
Kelderman

Pages