Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM gear lever sensitivity issue

Hi,

I've been using SRAM apex on my winter bike for a couple years now. It's performed well so far, but recently I'm noticing that it's becoming easier and easier to shift 2 gears when you only want to shift one (only really affects down shifting into lower gears). Or, if you want to shift 2 the rear mech shifts 3. I know the anti-SRAM lobby will say that is just SRAM, but it doesn't happen with the force groupset on my good bike and it never used to happen in the first 12 months of using the apex.

I know you can adjust the reach of the levers, pretty sure you can't adjust the sensitivity though right? Is there anything that can cause this? Build up of dirt maybe? The cable tension is bang on, if I'm careful it shifts precisely and returns perfectly too. However, in a bunch ride in the pissing rain going up a snakey climb I find that precision doesn't come quite so easily.

It definitely used to be way better, so I'm convinced it's an issue that's become apparent over time. Hopefully there is a cure though!

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Mr Jono | 9 years ago
0 likes

Riding this morning the lever seemed to be much better, so maybe it was a bit gunked up? Will wait for a long ride at the weekend to see if it's really fixed.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

My Force did that for a while and found it to be too much cable tension !!!!

Mr Jono replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

My Force did that for a while and found it to be too much cable tension !!!!

Even with the cable tension backed off completely the lever still feels the same, so not sure this can be the cause

Mr Jono | 9 years ago
0 likes

The chain was only about 200 miles old when I noticed the problem. It's probably done about 1000 miles since then. I'll try a new chain once in a couple weeks as a last resort before I consider a new lever maybe

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think this might be a chain problem. Everyone knows that a chain stretches, but not so many recognise that over time the lateral (sideways) stiffness is reduced as particles of grit grind away inside the links. With a decline in stiffness the chain is freer to jump around in a less controlled way. I'd try a new chain especially if it hasn't been replaced in a while.

Mr Jono | 9 years ago
0 likes

Checked the spines, they're in perfect nick so that's one possibility eliminated.

I washed out the lever mechanism and then blasted through some TF4 lube and that seems to have improved the feel of the shifting a bit.

oddbydefault | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had zero issues with Apex (and it still works just as well as the day I bought it 2.5 years ago) but the right hand shifter on my Rival equipped bike recently died after struggling for a while.

This may not even be relative to your problem, and I have no idea if SRAM have fixed this issue for newer Apex stuff, but basically the splines got worn off the internal mechanism (see pic below) so it may be worth checking them out for wear as this obviously affects how it shifts.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoPDXq1IAAAJXlc.jpg:large

I did get a free replacement one from Fisher even though it's out of warranty though  16

Latest Comments