Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Right Foot pain

Hi
I'm pretty new to road biking, after c.10 miles I get a aching pain in my right foot - is this to do with my cleat position & or seat position or is this normal and I my foot will become use to being in that position. 99% of the time I unclip my left foot (like most I assume) is this the reason why my left doesn't ache and only my right?

Any help would be greatly received

Chars

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Buggers85 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice

Think I will try loosening my shoe a little first and an insert in my shoe. If this doesn't solve it I will have a bike fitting - don't think this can hurt!!

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Remove your socks and sit on a high surface (kitchen worktop should do it). Dangle your feet naturally, just relax your legs and let your feet drop. Viewed from the front (get someone to take a picture of your feet if necessary), what does your stance look like? Personally, the outside of my feet are quite a bit lower than the inside. Viewed from the front, this would give my feet an inverted V shape. This means that when I do anything more than gentle spinning, my foot collapses inwards with the downward force. I use Specialized Body Geometry footbeds and cleat wedges to correct this, and they work well and allow me to crank up the power.

There are many variables at work here though, for example my feet don't sit parallel, so I pedal with my heels turned inwards. You could do with a bike fitting, as suggested above. Whereabouts are you? Someone might be able to suggest one.

BradleyNiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a very similar issue.

Pain on the outside of the right foot.

It's most likely your insoles and how tight you have the shoes.

First i went with superfeet insoles and wedges, it worked to an extent but the cleats would always come out of position. In the end i changed footbed. Got some cheap bontrager heat moudables and they are way better. Enabled me to get rid of the wedges also.

Try keeping the shoes as loose as possible, get the footbeds and make sure your cleat position isn't too extreme.

It might save you having to go the expensive route with new shoes, bike fit etc.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

My foot pains were on the outside edge of the right foot only just about on the
"tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal". The fix in the end was some +++ spesh bg
insoles and 2 cleat wedges for the right shoe - had to have a wedge in the left
too !!!!

Buggers85 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies

Yes I am using the yellow Shimano cleat with SPD pedals.

Ache is mainly on the outside of my foot I am right footed so maybe it is putting a but more power behind my 'favoured foot'

adrianoconnor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I get a mild ache in my right foot too. I tried adjusting the cleats by tiny amounts, but it hasn't made much difference so far. Last week I replaced the cleats, and when I did that I moved it again, so I'll have to see if that helps. Are you using the yellow cleats with plenty of float (or equivalent if you're not Shimano)?

I've also noticed that my right shoe feels slightly tighter around the side of my foot than the left (and you can see the velcro straps across the mid-foot are in different places), so I know one foot is slightly bigger than the other. I think you can heat these shoes and reshape them, but I haven't felt brave enough to try that yet... Have you tried shaping your shoes?

I also do a fair bit of running as well as cycling, and I used to think it might be down to that, but I don't think that's it. I did do a big run last week though, and I have noticed the aching a bit more this week, but it could just be all in the head.

I've also got a hunch that I put a bit more power through the right leg than the left, so maybe it's fatigue from poor form?

Too many variables  1

Have you considered getting a bike fitting? There are some really good websites out there too about bike fitting (like http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/). The LBS near the place I work used to do a fitting for £50, but they closed down recently. I didn't actually go for a fitting myself, because I'm really happy with my position on the bike generally, and I didn't want to mess things up.

Good luck sorting it. Maybe because you're new to this you're still going through an adjustment period? Maybe it'll start feeling better by itself...

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

most likely the cleat ... where abouts in the foot does the pain occur ?

Latest Comments