Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

STRAVA - - - - DELETED -- BYE BYE!

Last week I got that bloody awful crown logo on my phone from Strava! you know exactly the one that goes ‘Uh OH! You have lost your KOM’ ahh not yet another - oh f@@k off!

About 2/3 hours later after much deliberating I deleted my account & then just to be sure logged into my old (pre-Strava) mapmyride account & wiped it too – all trace of active bike history gone! El Teide rides, east coast Tenerife gone, Scottish trip gone, sportives & a reasonable handful of (remaining) KOM’s gone & most importantly to me a simple record of the number of miles several years cycling gone… why?

Ok so I’ve not been having a great year fitness wise, not been ill or injured enough to be off the bike but since the turn of the year I just am not as fit as I was last year & can’t seem to find the reason.

Losing the jewel in my crown of ‘KOM’s an 16:08 min tricky uphill with the next best placed time being 17:22 & having a good number of people tried it was too much for me to bear – I’m been on super form the day I got it, it had stood since July last year but this on the back of losing several in the last two months odd was too much for me to take, I probably acted irrationally, in fact I’m pretty sure I did but I considered my pending action for a few hours before I struck – I wanted to be sure & tbh do I miss little snippets of information like actually knowing how far I’ve gone, yes, what my average was or elevation, yes, am I really that bothered… NO I’m glad I have done it, ok I don’t regularly cycle with a good few of the people I followed & who followed me so I’ll not be able to ‘Kudos’ them on their antics but the whole thing was just getting to me.

I miss watching my ever increasing overall mileage, that in itself gave me a little sense of pride in myself but I don’t plan to go back, I intend to ride my bike, before I had any tracking my body knew when I was going fast or hard or far for long periods because err I couldn’t breathe, my legs hurt A LOT the bloody great big hill in front was well yeh..in front of me! I didn’t need anything to tell me these details my inbuilt monitor told me these things & that’s where I’m going back too, old school you may call it, out of touch others may call it, I don’t race so I don’t necessarily need to be aware of finite information but that’s where I am now, it’s taking a bit of getting used too again but so far I’m liking the effect, I just I can hold out when I see Mont Ventoux in front of me later this summer..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You'll be back on Strava within 2 months once you acknowledge two facts:

1) There's always someone bigger and stronger out there than you,
2) A ride not recorded on Strava is not a ride.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

redmeat replied to Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

Oh dear.

giff77 replied to Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

You sound like one of the brainwashed lemmings that follow the velomatia

levermonkey replied to Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

1) Yeah! So what? This is news? What you can do at 30 you can't do at 40, what you can do at 40 you can't do at 50.
2) What a load of bollocks! Do you really believe that? Tragically sad.

Not everyone lives and dies by Strava. The main difference between keeping a riding diary/Garmin and Strava is Strava is all about "Look at Me! Look at me!" where as a riding diary/Garmin is all about [Everyone sing along] "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike...."

Cycling is not about KoMs it's about FUN!  4

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wow.

spongebob | 9 years ago
0 likes

You care.

Pages

Latest Comments