Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

STRAVA - - - - DELETED -- BYE BYE!

Last week I got that bloody awful crown logo on my phone from Strava! you know exactly the one that goes ‘Uh OH! You have lost your KOM’ ahh not yet another - oh f@@k off!

About 2/3 hours later after much deliberating I deleted my account & then just to be sure logged into my old (pre-Strava) mapmyride account & wiped it too – all trace of active bike history gone! El Teide rides, east coast Tenerife gone, Scottish trip gone, sportives & a reasonable handful of (remaining) KOM’s gone & most importantly to me a simple record of the number of miles several years cycling gone… why?

Ok so I’ve not been having a great year fitness wise, not been ill or injured enough to be off the bike but since the turn of the year I just am not as fit as I was last year & can’t seem to find the reason.

Losing the jewel in my crown of ‘KOM’s an 16:08 min tricky uphill with the next best placed time being 17:22 & having a good number of people tried it was too much for me to bear – I’m been on super form the day I got it, it had stood since July last year but this on the back of losing several in the last two months odd was too much for me to take, I probably acted irrationally, in fact I’m pretty sure I did but I considered my pending action for a few hours before I struck – I wanted to be sure & tbh do I miss little snippets of information like actually knowing how far I’ve gone, yes, what my average was or elevation, yes, am I really that bothered… NO I’m glad I have done it, ok I don’t regularly cycle with a good few of the people I followed & who followed me so I’ll not be able to ‘Kudos’ them on their antics but the whole thing was just getting to me.

I miss watching my ever increasing overall mileage, that in itself gave me a little sense of pride in myself but I don’t plan to go back, I intend to ride my bike, before I had any tracking my body knew when I was going fast or hard or far for long periods because err I couldn’t breathe, my legs hurt A LOT the bloody great big hill in front was well yeh..in front of me! I didn’t need anything to tell me these details my inbuilt monitor told me these things & that’s where I’m going back too, old school you may call it, out of touch others may call it, I don’t race so I don’t necessarily need to be aware of finite information but that’s where I am now, it’s taking a bit of getting used too again but so far I’m liking the effect, I just I can hold out when I see Mont Ventoux in front of me later this summer..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

jova54 replied to Wrongfoot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Wrongfoot wrote:
don simon wrote:

Strava has its uses, I find that mentioning to other cyclists that I'm on a Strava run gets me instant respect and people who get in my way frequently apologise for upsetting my rhythm.

Just another excuse for selfishness. You have no way of knowing how important the other cyclists rhythm and goal are... I can imagine many situations when an internet badge should fall far second. Not that there's anything wrong with actually trying to get the badge per-se.

Interesting concept that Strava Membership should generate respect. I'm on Strava too so when we meet who is more important? To break the tiebreak I'm also registered here and on facebook and on twittet and presumably those internet memberships will work in my favour. It there's still a tiebreak I suggest we count back aggregated years of membership on social sites to see who has right of way. If that's inconclusive then I suspect we'll have to go on differing values of bike. Anything is better than some tact and manners, a respect hierarchy is where it's at.

As for expecting slower cyclists to pull over for you, how many battles do we fight with motorists to dissuade them from expecting slower cyclists to pull over to suit them? You're putting yourself in some shabby company there. Wait and overtake if it's safe. If you need to shout to get right of way it usually isn't safe... (I know, I know, getting a bunch to let you through might take a call or two, but "Can I come through please?" is as effective as "I'm on Strava!" and better mannered).

Ooops. I think someone's Irony Alert App has been de-installed.  4

Wrongfoot replied to jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes
jova54 wrote:

Oh come on. I enjoyed that. Can't a guy have some fun?  4

jova54 replied to Wrongfoot | 9 years ago
0 likes
Wrongfoot wrote:
jova54 wrote:

Oh come on. I enjoyed that. Can't a guy have some fun?  4

crazy-legs | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's quite a flounce, deleting your entire ride history just cos someone took a KOM!

I don't Strava every ride by any means but my ride history on there includes LEJOG, various once-in-a-lifetime rides, a couple of foreign holidays, several Strava Challenges... In amongst it all are about 40-50 KOMs so I fairly regularly get the "uh-oh..." emails. There's always someone better than you out there and surely that's an incentive to try harder, ride further or faster?

A month or so ago, a local rider took a KOM off me. 2 weeks later, while out on an evening ride I thought I'd give it a crack and I got it back. He commented on the ride file to say well done which was nice. Both of us pushing each other to be better. No malice or jealousy, just encouraging comments.

Neither if us take it particularly seriously but it's a bit of fun finding new routes, new riders, using it to get better and to track your own progress. What a waste to go and delete everything just cos someone else went a bit quicker! KOMs aren't the be-all-and-end-all of Strava!

And to all those saying "go and do a race". I still race occasionally and I imagine there are a fair few regular racers on here. And just as on Strava, there's always someone better to inspire me to try harder. Different tools to get the same outcome.

ajmarshal1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just use it to track my miles and see what my mates are doing. I stopped caring about KOMs when people kept flagging my rides for beating them. It seems there are a lot of sore losers that take the thing way too seriously out there.

There is a guy who I ride with who is a very good Cat 2 rider who would probably bebetter if he bothered his arse to race more. he regularly sits down in 10-20th place on all the major segments around my way yet tears people apart in TTs and races. I sit a few places above him but he's waaaaaay better than me. Your Strava KOM means nothing.

SB76 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Of course you can't take KOM too seriously doesn't mean you can have banter with mates over it. Anyone who thinks it's really competitive is deluding themselves BUT if it drives a person on to push themselves a little harder, then it is adding a level of personal competition that isn't entirely a bad thing if that's what drives you on!

ilovemytinbred | 9 years ago
0 likes

It is interesting to me that so many people like the KOM aspect of Strava, and yet they do not seem to enter time trials, where for a couple of quid you can rock up and compare yourself to real people on the same night and get an accurate time.

To me a KOM is a bit silly. I have faster times on loads of sections than people who regularly beat me in races, they simply do not represent a persons ability compared to your peers. Look what happens to a the KOMs if you get a hill climb on a segment. A mega hilly race in our area certainly did interesting things to the leaderboard on a few hills.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Or why go through the trouble of entering a race when you can just go out and do it through strava?

Yes it's not racing but it still competitive

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

'Perhaps andyp thinks competitiveness in this format isn't legitimate'
correct. Woo, look, I just rode a segment faster than someone else. Who may have been riding it 200km later in a ride than me, into a headwind, and with one leg. We'll never know. Ergo, it's not competitiveness.

'that trying to get KoM on a segment is childish'
not childish, no. Fairly sad.

Why not just enter a race?

IngloriousLou replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

SB76 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Whatever floats your boats, lets not all knock others for viewing things differently. I like Strava, i like it for tracking my own data. Do i need the data? No not really but it provides motivation to see improvements. Is it good to see how you sit against mates/others? It doesnt hurt, shouldn't be taken seriously as plenty of factors determine their and your times.

The important thing here is use it sensibly, dont become a tool in behaving badly on the road just to rank higher up the charts!!

rainman onwheels | 9 years ago
0 likes

Strava made me faster, so I'm grateful it exists. I expect I'm not the only one. There is of course a whole load of bullshit that comes with it  102 - but like many things, it's a package deal.

kentos1978 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just turn on the privacy options and you don't appear on any leaderboards. Surely the best of all worlds?

kentos1978 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just turn on the privacy options and you don't appear on any leaderboards. Surely the best of all worlds?

kentos1978 | 9 years ago
0 likes

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

ridewithgps and track ..... me - totally stress free  1

having turned 50 I have defo found that I no can't do what the 25 y.o. on the
club run do  1

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're using Strava to compare yourself against others - seriously - then you need to take a good long look at yourself. Just go and pin a number on and actually race them. On the same day, in the same weather conditions, with the same number of km in your legs before the finish line.

It's very good for tracking your *own* progress. But the whole KoM thing...those people who put their 'stats' in their signatures...is pretty pitiful.

IngloriousLou replied to andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes
andyp wrote:

It's very good for tracking your *own* progress. But the whole KoM thing...those people who put their 'stats' in their signatures...is pretty pitiful.

Whatever  1 It's just a bit of fun.

Different people like different things, some like football, some like rugby, some like lager, some like bitter. Just because it's not your thing doesn't make it pitiful.

I compare my progress against my local buddies and we use it as a bit of extra motivation and for the banter.

Feel free to berate me for my sins against cycling but I'm just out there enjoying myself.

Simon E replied to IngloriousLou | 9 years ago
0 likes
IngloriousLou wrote:
andyp wrote:

Whatever  1 It's just a bit of fun.

+1.

If people have fun or gain motivation to ride more thanks to Strava then that's great.

Equally if it becomes a chore or doesn't interest you that's fine too.

Perhaps andyp thinks competitiveness in this format isn't legitimate; that trying to get KoM on a segment is childish, even though we all like reading of the pro riders' times up famous climbs.

And is Strava really so inferior to having someone time your effort with a stopwatch?

@bfslxo - you could always keep an old fashioned training diary like Tom Southam and many others:
http://rouleur.cc/journal/racing/training-diaries

mrmo replied to Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

And is Strava really so inferior to having someone time your effort with a stopwatch?

Good point, TTers pick "fast courses", what they actually mean is flat busy dual carriageways where you get a tow off the passing trucks. Is this cheating?

If you win on the day you won, anything else, pb's etc. what are you proving? Does a pb mean you are fitter/stronger, or does it mean that on the day conditions were better.

IngloriousLou replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

Good point, TTers pick "fast courses", what they actually mean is flat busy dual carriageways where you get a tow off the passing trucks.

TTers are crazy  3

The idea of riding on fast DC clenching the buttcheeks every time you hear the rumble of a 40 ton truck coming past you at 60mph doesn't seem like fun, but whatever floats your boat...

(I should point out that one of my training buddies is a pretty decent TTer and he has my full respect for the speeds he can achieve and maintain)

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Strava's a game don't take it seriously. KOM i got yesterday involved sitting behind a tractor for c6miles*. Is that worse than using a chain gang or waiting for a gale?

*I wonder... what happened to the truck and bike Guy Martin used got to be good for a few segments.

timb27 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love Strava. I have 1 KOM (it's a descent). I ride with a bunch of guys and we compare our progress against each other's and poke fun in the comments. I love having a record of my rides, and enjoy pipping mates on a key local segment from time to time.

Thank god I'm not a super fit rider, it sounds like life isn't nearly as much fun.

Dapper Giles | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think we need a sarcasm alarm.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Guys I was joking  24
Too easy on here

themartincox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think I posted to Strava last year, possibly in spring.

Being the proud owner of 1 KOM now, I peaked at 3 of them, i find it a fun tool for memories, but day to day? not so much.

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Use map my ride or endomondo rather than garmin then?

bfslxo | 9 years ago
0 likes

SammyG, your right I do care but I intend not to go back & Scoob definitely always someone bigger better stronger & usually younger  20 but a ride is not a ride if not on Strava - ouch  29 & at the mo can't afford a Garmin
I'll let you all know back in 2 months, in the meantime the almost daily rides continue to go unrecorded

big mick replied to bfslxo | 9 years ago
0 likes

You don't have to have a Garmin computer.There is an app for a smart phone I think it's £1 or less and then you have a private Garmin connect account simple's!!!  1

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Damn.

If I could pinpoint my form on number of Strava QOMs I would be a happy girl right now. Why oh why won't BC notice me  20

Seriously though, why don't you just use Garmin connect instead? That way you can ignore those pesky spams and still track your progress!  1

Pages

Latest Comments