Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lightweight alloy wheels

Hello,

I was looking for a new set of lightweight wheels that will be strong enough for my 88-90kg build. My budget is c.£500 and so far I have found these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/black-series-by-tune-rac-27-clincher-wheelset/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-f2a-240s-aluminium-clincher-wheelset/

There seems to be little to choose between the two. The Black Series is lighter (by 20g!) and has a higher spoke count (24/28), but it's a newer name in he market. On the other hand, FFWD is more recognised and comes with DT240s hubs, which I have heard good things about, as well as wheelbase, skewers etc.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

s_lim | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you can find them, American Classics Victory 30's. I've had mine over a year now and they're robust, light & very fast. They're aimed at heavier riders, so no chance of flexing either

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the same weight range as the OP and can't fault the Braccianos.

Mine have at least 2000 miles on them and are still round, true and fast rolling. I can freewheel downhill faster than any of my mates lol.

They also climb nicely, although if you are a masher like me and have a Ti frame, you may find yourself pulling the wheel out of the dropouts occasionally - keeping the dropouts clean and investing in open cam skewers should sort it though.

I tried all that twiddly spinning up a hill nonsense... It wasn't for me.

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

One of the girls here uses Cero and they feel mega light, saw on cycling weekly they're going super cheap at the mo  1

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

One of the girls here uses Cero and they feel mega light, saw on cycling weekly they're going super cheap at the mo  1

thorolf | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree with Dave on the Bracciano A27s.

I'm 'only' 80kg in total when commuting.

That is about 72kg weight, plus a duffel bag of about 8kg (easier to bend around your back when windy) . Plus pies!

These wheels have taken a pounding over 18 months and still run smooth.

I've done minimal maintenance e.g. a bit of grease etc, and it is all good.

They go uphill very well (e.g. From personal experience (Mt Keira 400m uphill over 5.8km). A couple of locals (winners) in my club use them on racedays.

I can't afford carbon and budget wise these wheels aren't too bad at all.

Anyway, good luck with whatever wheels you choose.

Cheers.

Rod Worth.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Slide89 - you weren't looking for this lot to help you make a simple decision between just 2 products were you?!  21

I like the blingness of riding FFWD or Tune wheels (even if they are wiggle exclusive). Cero are indeed meant to be very good - these plus a new pair of cycling shoes perhaps?!

Slide89 replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Haha I was, but the suggestions have been useful indeed! Leaning towards the Braccianos or Ceros now...

Thanks for the all the input though  1

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Will also muddy the water here, Stans Notubes Alpha ztr 340's are about bang on £500 on Strada i think, somewhere around 1255g fully built.

I've a set with a powertap in and they're still light as. Most solid wheels I've ever ridden as well, they take a bashing, I race on them, they're beautiful. <3

chris75018 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another option to confuse you... Campag Neutron Ultras are lovely wheels - about the same weight as those you've listed and a bit cheaper.

Had mine about 18 months and love them. Very stiff, light and solidly built. (I'm upwards of 90kg and have hit numerous potholes with no adverse effects) . Although they are a bugger to get tyres on / off!

SPAM Naval | 9 years ago
0 likes

For a few dollars more, take a look at the Dura Ace C24s. Can't recommend these highly enough

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

and to make it even harder, you could consider a hand built wheel set like this one - top quality rim with wear indicator and Dura Ace 11 speed hubs with, I think, some of the nicest QR skewers around; slightly over budget though...

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/in-stock/dura-ace-hubs-laced-to-pa...

muddydwarf | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought some Cero AR30 wheels from Cycle Division for £350.
Stated weight is 1395grams, actual weight (as weighed by my luggage scales) is 1410grams so pretty close. No upper weight limit as far as i can see & got a 10/10 in a review by Cycling Weekly (i think)

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

just to muddy the waters a bit:

Novatec Sprints (http://extrauk.co.uk/product/detail/Novatec/Road_Wheels/3154/) are sub-1400g for less than £500

Pro-Lite Bracciano A27s are around 1,500g for just over £300, and they're hard to beat as all-round wheels

Latest Comments