Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Casual cycling shorts

I'm planning on a cycling holiday to Italy in late June. I'll be touring around with my partner and don't want to be riding in a full on Castelli outfit. Basically I don't want to look like a Christmas tree when eating out in restaraunts etc. So can anyone recommend some casual (baggy) light weight cycling shorts with padded liner, that will be cool and comfortable in hot weather?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wear bibs/shorts for the padding and wear a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi pro stretch shorts...smart and not too casual looking, but very comfortable in use whilst cycling...the "not so well off man's" Rapha touring short alternative...and a bit more roomy without being too flappy.

http://www.craghoppers.com/men/trousers/kiwi-pro-long-shorts.html

Joselito | 9 years ago
0 likes

Rapha's touring shorts are a good bet for on and off the bike.
Not so baggy though.

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

Firstly, don't get some with built-in liners as you'll live to regret it; it's just uncomfortable. Make sure the liner is detachable so you can use a different padded liner or normal underwear. The padded cotton liners (aimed at commuters) are pretty good as a 'half-way' between normal underwear and padded lycra.
Endura Humvee shorts are really good. Lightweight, bit of extra material where you need it, zip up pockets, vents and they look normal. They've been my summer commuter shorts for 5 years and still going strong. That said, I've got different pair of Endura shorts that are rubbish.

Latest Comments