Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra di2 10sp nasty noise

My bike has gradually started making this rough sounding noise when in the big ring middle ish of the cassette, just recently changed from the standard chain to a kmc which was fine and quiet for the first few rides. Entire drivetrain has been cleaned and lubed, really can't think what it could be?

Seems to change gear fine, a little less noisy in the small ring but totally unbearable in the big ring, amazes me how di2 can be tuned in and working ok then go so bad, surely can't need a new cassette yet? Only got 2000ish miles on it.

http://youtu.be/IvxoUiRANQ0

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Turns out its the mech hangar alignment, second time I've had this issue, was hoping for something more substantial to be honest but never mind...

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Turns out its the mech hangar alignment, second time I've had this issue, was hoping for something more substantial to be honest but never mind...

srchar | 9 years ago
0 likes

Because you've stated that it happens in the "middle" of the cassette, I'd say that your most-used sprockets are worn. We've not had the driest past few months and it's quite feasible that your cassette has worn out in 2000 miles, particularly if you've not regularly cleaned and oiled the drivetrain.

So, it's time to replace that cassette. As you'll then have a new-ish chain and new cassette, time to invest in a couple more chains and run a chain rotation strategy, to get more life out of your cassette this time.

spongebob | 9 years ago
0 likes

You got a spare wheel you could test again with?

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm totally sick of LBS in general and just want a team car following me around with a spare bike, it's such a struggle explaining "noises" I'm having and not getting them sorted and new minor problems arising that I can't fix or even guess what they might be.

Thanks for the advice and guesswork so far, I'll be sure to post an update with the actual cause of the problem when it's sorted, hopefully  1

alexjones5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

new chain, old cassette is the problem I think.
would always recommend changing both together.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Points to a cassette issue for me.
New chain and then it starts playing up, 9 times out of 10 it's a cassette.
I always replace as a pair.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Was that the LBS that sold it to you? Because ultimately, under the sale of goods act, products have to be fit for purpose and perform as advised. This obviously gets a bit more complicated if a dodgy dealer just says "not my problem guv, you must have crashed it". What does the shop that sold it to you have to say? Are they just shrugging their shoulders?

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

No it's not taken a knock, I've had the mech hanger inspected on numerous visits to my LBS, I'm sure no amount of wet lube and grease could quieten this drivetrain down  2

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has it taken a knock? It seems quiet further up the cassette, is it possible the mech hanger is bent?

Given how new this stuff is, I'd just take it back to the shop where you bought it.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know that KMC make alot of Shimano's chains....I would stick to KMC anyway  3

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

I didn't install it, my lbs did, I would have changed the cassette at the time but its in good condition according to them as was the old chain( why did I change it) it was becoming noisy. All seemed fine for half a dozen rides. I'll probably change to a brand new cassette and shimano branded chain.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

So did you switch your old cassette onto the new wheels?

Personally, I would never do this because putting something worn on a new piece is pointless. Especially with them being expensive pieces you have.

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is your cassette lockring tight enough?

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wheels are brand new dura ace c24's doubt it could be them but you never know, I'll check that next...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you checked your wheel bearings?

It sounds more like that than the gearing or chain. I bet it makes the same noise when back pedalling?

Latest Comments