Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Motorcyclist / cyclist collision near Buckingham Palace

The video was posted a couple of places online in early March before being taken down soon after. Did the cyclist see this video?

Short version (ogg) https://vidd.me/rkS
Longer version with police (mp4) https://anonfiles.com/file/999425e6c2f5c4ea68380efec2890887

Longer version at YouTube (thanks to Gkam84)
http://youtu.be/P5I2sJVkxUw

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

57 comments

OldRidgeback replied to bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikebot wrote:
Paul_C wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Since I uploaded the video, someone posted it on that Ducati forum and the motorbiker has deleted his whole channel.....something to hide there??

Mr. Ducati Rider is about to discover teh power of the internets...

he's obviously never heard of the "Streisand Effect"...

I just took a look over at the Ducati forum, and it's gone down pretty much how I thought it would (see the third page from the earlier link). For those bikers ->  41

I think this comment from one of the Ducati forum riders puts it rather succinctly:

"So hows that posting a video of yourself deliberately driving into someone doing absolutely nothing wrong then lying through your back teeth about going then?

You're a terrible driver and shouldn't be on the road"

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its a reportable rtc, as the cyclist received and injury but that seems to have been forgotten or was it mentioned later on in the video clip as i got bored and swiitched it off.

Also can a poster explain the traffic layout for around the Palace as i dont know it, so should the cyclist have been in the middle of the road ??????

Paul_C replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Its a reportable rtc, as the cyclist received and injury but that seems to have been forgotten or was it mentioned later on in the video clip as i got bored and swiitched it off.

Also can a poster explain the traffic layout for around the Palace as i dont know it, so should the cyclist have been in the middle of the road ??????

As far as I can tell it's NOT a cycle lane at all, just a wide median between the two traffic flows.

http://goo.gl/maps/Cld3w

Bikebikebike replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Does it make any difference where he was? The biker could clearly see him. I don't think being a bit out of lane entitles people to run you over. Does it?

Stumps replied to Bikebikebike | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bikebikebike wrote:
stumps wrote:

Does it make any difference where he was? The biker could clearly see him. I don't think being a bit out of lane entitles people to run you over. Does it?

Please dont put words into my mouth.

Like i said, i dont know the roads around the Palace so i was asking a simple straightforward question, should he have been in the middle of the road not whether he was asking to be hit from behind ?

After reading the multitude of posts on the forum complaining how busy and dangerous the roads are around london you find someone actually cycling in the middle of what appears to be a busy road whilst on their phone.

He then lies about it saying he had a hold of his phone, you can see it on the video at his ear ! so basically he doesn't know the law but panics thinking he has broken it.

As for the biker he is completely in the wrong and should be punished for it.

bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The bikers I know would disown this guy in an instant for that behaviour. It's part of the culture that whilst many are a little binary with the throttle, you ride within your limits and show respect to anyone who is more vulnerable than yourself.

The officer does give her shoulder number in the video, though it's really for the cyclist in the video to make a complaint, which he really should do if he ever comes across this.

And no, using a mobile phone whilst riding isn't a good idea, too many idiots to keep an eye on to be distracted.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stupid on several counts. The rider on the Ducati shouldn't have been in the cycle lane and could easily have slotted in behind the taxi until he was safely past the cyclist. I'm not 100% convinced it was a deliberate take down by the Ducati Hypermotard rider but at best, it was poor riding on his behalf as he should have left more of a margin and it wouldn't have delayed him more than a second or two to wait behind the taxi. Meanwhile any cyclist on the phone while riding along a busy London street needs his head examined.

That the Ducati rider saw fit to post this online says a lot about him and his lack of perception. I'd say he probably hasn't been riding that long and while he may be an older rider, like as not he did the direct access test, allowing him to have a high performance bike like the Hypermotard.

As well as cycling a great deal, I've also been riding motorbikes for several decades. And I've noticed that there are a lot of riders on high performance bikes they don't really have the skills for.

The Ducati rider didn't take proper care (due care and attention) and that should merit some penalty points. With this clip being posted online, it's probable he'll get his due. Even if cycling while talking on the phone is not be illegal as Gkam suggests, it seems crazy that the cyclist should escape a legal penalty for doing something so blatantly stupid.

Neither rider comes out of this smelling of roses. It was lucky it wasn't more serious.

boil-in-the-bag replied to OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

What is the funny-coloured lane the cyclist is on? I can't see any signs.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You cannot be fined for being on your phone on a pedal cycle, it is not illegal  3

fukawitribe replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You cannot be fined for being on your phone on a pedal cycle, it is not illegal  3

Doesn't the following apply ? (Can't see it being amended in the acts up and including 2010)

Quote:

Cycling without due care and attention.

Source: Road Traffic Act 1988 Section 29

Offence: It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.

farrell replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Doesn't the following apply ? (Can't see it being amended in the acts up and including 2010)

Quote:

Offence: It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.

No.

It doesn't.

fukawitribe replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Quote:

No.

It doesn't.

I didn't mean in this particular case, but as in the general case mentioned... or did you mean that it could never apply when using a phone on a bike ?

bikebot replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Quote:

The problem with catch all definitions is that they are difficult to prove for a specific circumstance unless a test case has established a precedent. Even then, someone could decide to challenge a conviction and establish a new precedent if they win their appeal.

Road law in the UK tends to prefer specific guidance on these matters rather than umbrella catch all laws.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Proper result?

Ban for the motorcyclist for deliberately taking the guy out, I don't know the legal term, but is wilful endangerment something ?

Fixed penalty for the cyclist for being on the phone in such heavy traffic.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://youtu.be/P5I2sJVkxUw

Save people downloading the 300mb file  3

shay cycles | 9 years ago
0 likes

Looks like the taxi driver is on the phone as well.

The idiot on the motorbike went for a space he should never have gone for and was lucky not too have caused a much more serious accident or injury.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do hope the Met take a look at the video and the comments that follow from the Ducati self fellation web site. Clear intent for me and a long stretch off the road should follow

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do hope the Met take a look at the video and the comments that follow from the Ducati self fellation web site. Clear intent for me and a long stretch off the road should follow

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It was deliberate, he knew the guy had his phone at his ear and used it as an excuse, there was plenty of room to go round him, but he choose to go straight through him.

I bet had the police officer seen the footage, it would be a different story.

Is there a way to contact that certain officer and give her the footage?

PhilRuss | 9 years ago
0 likes

[[[[[ Motorcyclist: "What the hell are you doing on the phone? What the hell are you doing on the phone? What the hell are you doing on the phone?"
Me: "What the hell are you doing riding a motorbike on the streets?"
I've looked at the vid four times and I think this was a deliberate shunt by the nasty-piece-of-work on the Ducatti.
P.R.

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

Humans are such... twats.  2

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

What a prize turd.

OldRidgeback | 9 years ago
0 likes

The video's been taken down.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

OMG what a prat. How has his video made it onto the Internet?

boil-in-the-bag replied to Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 replied to boil-in-the-bag | 9 years ago
0 likes
boil-in-the-bag wrote:

It's the motorcyclist's video: http://hyperstrada.com/ducati-hyperstrada/663-ducati-dragons-s-youtube-c...

Not only is he thick enough to pull off a dangerous manoeuvre like that, he's thick enough to post it online.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jesus, downloaded the full version.

It is not advisable to be on your mobile phone while cycling, I accept that from the police, but it is not illegal and the motorcyclist didn't even try to go round him, just went straight through his handlebars.

I wouldn't have been as calm as the cyclist, police or no police.

The motorcyclist took him out, end of.

Pages

Latest Comments