Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Tyres?

So as a newbie roadie, which winter tyres do you all recommend?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

adrianoconnor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got Conti GP 4 Seasons on Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels and they've been great -- perfect for my daily commute in all weather. I'd definitely recommend them. Very easy to get on too -- I can easily change them without needing to use levers.

Current set is 5 months old and, touch wood, no punctures yet...

Gordy748 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I find Contis pretty easy to get on and off, but it does depend on your wheel too. Some OEMs, like Campagnolo, have slightly taller sidewalls on their rims. Combine these with tires that have slightly narrower fit, like Challenge, and you can spend an entire evening trying to put your tires on.

Just remember that the looser the fit, the more easily the tire will come off the rim if you flat at speed.

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

Any thoughts on tyre fit? I find Michelins a 'bother' to get on and off, which is definite negative in the cold and wet. Vittorias seem ok, coming off without too much effort. How are the Contis?

Streamliner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Continental GP 4 Seasons here. I have gp 4000S for summer use and they are a bit scary in the cold and wet. I switched to the 4 seasons and suddenly I didn't feel like I was about to crash the whole time! They have very good feel and genuine grip in the wet and lower temperatures. I've had no punctures, and they are reasonably light and fast too.

But now it's summer I'm back on the GP 4000S.

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tyres; the debate goes on forever. I went for some Continental GP 4 Seasons (25) as an 'all year' tyre. I was in the LBS and one of the staff remarked that they were the best tyre for UK conditions.

timbola | 9 years ago
0 likes

Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons - I have used them for years now and they have great grip in the wet, last a long time and extremely puncture-resistant. Bonus is that they are quite fast as well ! I ride them all year round, partly because I cannot be bothered to change them for the summer. All of our bikes have them, 23mm and 25mm.

alimaysports | 9 years ago
0 likes

Either the Conti Gatorskin if it's not too wet where you are. If not the Grand Prix 4 Season are probably your best bet.

PaulBox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm also a newbie, a friend recently recommended Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres and I've found them to be very good. I don't tend to ride much in wet conditions, but in the dry the grip fantastically and roll very well.

SPAM Naval | 9 years ago
0 likes

its May....

turboprannet | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been pleasantly surprised by Hutchinson Intensive's - 25mm and loads of puncture protection. Had one puncture in about 2000 miles (will get one on the way home now I've said that)

Only got them because they were cheap!

Latest Comments