Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which road bike for budget of 640

B) Hi ya after some advice I have a Giant MTB, and have recently sold a Dawes Discovery 201, the main reason for disposing of the Dawes is that I found it not fast enough, .Only problem now is deciding which road bike to opt for with funs of around 630, I have seen, and not able to test ride due to weather conditions the following: Giant Defy 3.5 & 3 ,Trek 1.2,Specialized Allez Sport and Orbea (not sure on model top end of budjet at 650.00

I await any advise that can be given, also gears 18or 27 as both prev owned bikes have had 3 rings on front dereallieur? and there are a few hills around here?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

_foxie_ | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm selling a Trek 2.3 on eBay. It's 2.3 frame/forks with 1.2 groupset and wheels. It'll probably finish at about your budget. Worth a punt maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-Trek-2-3-with-custom-spec-56cm_W0QQitemZ220529408506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item335893b9fa

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

and the Trek 1.2 2010 model (£750)appears to have pretty much the same frame as the Trek 1.5 2010 model (£650 ish).

although that info was gleaned from a quick google shopping search..  26

thehairs1970 replied to Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

One of the bike magazines, can't remember which, had a £600 bike test this summer and the B'Twin Sport came out way on top. There are several models of this with new range due out soon, I think.

Martyn

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

my main road bike of the moment is a trek 1.5: although there's very little left of the original spec (erm, the frame and fork and seatpost. and headset) i can vouch for mid range Aluminium Treks as having good frames worthy of upgraded kit. mine's been the testbed for kit a bit higher up the pecking order than the bontrager/tiagra mix it came with and it's now down to 18.5lb, but the frame doesn't feel outclassed by the componentry

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

if you can stretch to £750 the Kona Honky Tonk and/or Zing both look like a good deal.

although kit wise the Boardman wins hands down...

MavicNut | 14 years ago
0 likes
Bretagne | 14 years ago
0 likes

Have a look in classifieds on here - someone is selling a Kuota Kharma for sensible money.
Geoff  39

canyonsi | 14 years ago
0 likes

having been looking recently, (ok at the £999.00 mark) check the Boardman bikes in Halfords, they do seam to offer value.

si

(someone told me also to have a look at Decathlon?)

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

if you think you need the gears then i'd get a bike specced with a triple every time. no harm in having it and not needing it, that's not true of the reverse situation  19  19

the giant defy and spec allez are both great entry level bikes, they're a world apart from a dawes discovery. the boardman road comp is incredibly good value, you can have one for about your budget. getting it set up properly at a decent bike shop might push you over though  1

Ricardo replied to cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

B) Hi thanks for that I had forgot about the Boardman Bikes, nead to find a decent sized Halfords, then as you say about getting it set up could be the problem, maybe specialized, what do you ride??

Latest Comments