Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Better Than A Ribble?

Hey All,

Been cycling for a year on a tesco express bike, finally looking for an upgrade.

Seem to have settled on a Ribble 7046 Sportive, has really good reviews, price seems competitive, and well specced, with 105.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-7046-sportive-c...

Don't really want to spend over £900, but are there any other bikes that people would recommend around that price range with 105s.
I know there is the road.cc bike guide, but wondered if there were any more.

Cheers for any help guys!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

So at 3:24pm today when I clicked the checkout button on the Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra, to my horror the price shot up by £200.
Apparently at 3pm they had a price change! Hey Why not!
Nothing they can do about it apparently! No good will gesture, nothing! Heart broken!
Until I realised they are doing a SRAM Rival version for £999 now.
I've only been looking at Shimano, how does the Rival compare to the Ultegra, or 105, and in general what are peoples thoughts regarding Shimano vs SRAM.
trying to find the positives!

patreeko replied to backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I noticed the price rise too. I ordered a Pro Carbon SL in late May and then got an email saying the shimano parts were not in stock and wouldn't be in until mid-June, perhaps even later. I rang them up and this was confirmed, realistically wouldn't get the bike until mid July, so I cancelled the order and got a refund. Pretty prompt customer service, in all fairness.

Salkeldi | 9 years ago
0 likes

At the end of a long internal debate I just took delivery of a Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra 11 speed last week.

Been for three rides so far 49, 75 & 38.5ks and it is great. Very light (sub 8kg)compared to the 10kg Vitus Alios aluminium frame, carbon fork bike previously in the stable. For the money it is a vast improvement, picks up speed great and sustains it, flatters my weak climbing legs and looks the part. What's not to like?

I have noticed some slight flex in the bottom bracket when "powering" read stomping, it up short steep hills but I am a short, 85kg rider built for rugby not climbing.

The frame is not the latest design out there and cables are routed externally but for the money the group set is fantastic and the frame is more than good enough for my riding level. Doing about 100k per week at 30kph.

Going out for first group ride tomorrow without being ashamed of my tatty old bike.

Happy hunting. Any £1000 bike will be a great up grade.

Salkeldi | 9 years ago
0 likes

At the end of a long internal debate I just took delivery of a Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra 11 speed last week.

Been for three rides so far 49, 75 & 38.5ks and it is great. Very light (sub 8kg)compared to the 10kg Vitus Alios aluminium frame, carbon fork bike previously in the stable. For the money it is a vast improvement, picks up speed great and sustains it, flatters my weak climbing legs and looks the part. What's not to like?

I have noticed some slight flex in the bottom bracket when "powering" read stomping, it up short steep hills but I am a short, 85kg rider built for rugby not climbing.

The frame is not the latest design out there and cables are routed externally but for the money the group set is fantastic and the frame is more than good enough for my riding level. Doing about 100k per week at 30kph.

Going out for first group ride tomorrow without being ashamed of my tatty old bike.

Happy hunting. Any £1000 bike will be a great up grade.

0 likes

ok just looked at the Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra, same price, looks pretty decent and u get Ultegra!!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-...

wat to do!!

0 likes

After lots of looking around, finally stumbled across the Boardman Team Carbon,a penny under a grand and looks really well specced, can hardly fault it. Carbon fibre looks to be really good quality, and has loads of great reviews.
I figured better to get a really good frame, and then I should only have to upgrade the peripherals later on.
Also be able to try before I buy, unlike the Ribble.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_...

BigAl68 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the rt58 in carbon and it's a lovely bike. Remember with planet X they ask for 100 on top of the 1000 cycle scheme voucher. I do like the new campag version but the ultegra is a great bike

Gareth W-R | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet x rt 58 alloy? Seems good on paper. If you can stretch your budget carbon rt 58 ( you then get the choice of Campagnolo or Shimano gearing )

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fair play!

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would say Planet X is close to Ribble, in value and quality. You would do well with either. I would personally stump for the Planet X

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

The problem with £900 is that you're really hitting a middle ground, top end Aluminium, bottom end carbon. I am terrible at budgeting, but as I don't have kids or a massive mortgage I don't have to balance things off.

All I would say is that if you can push yourself a little more (£1,200-1,600) you'll get yourself a solid carbon bike which you'll not think of replacing for a long time - though you'll be looking at a lot more options.

I'm terrible though - I started off looking at bikes around £1,000, and bought one that cost £2,300…..but I that was 5 years ago, and I think I made the right choice.

I'm thinking of getting another now….only my budget has swollen. Makes me worried about what I'll come home with (magic beans anyone?!)

But I would go for bottom end carbon Rose, Planet X, or Giant. The Roses are particularly underrated, but you have to order them from Germany so it's not like you try before you buy. But they are a solid bike.

Harryb2996 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet X Pro Carbon. £1000 get's you better wheels and Ultegra 6800.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does a Tesco Express bike go faster than a plain Tesco bike?

backflipbedlem replied to chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Does a Tesco Express bike go faster than a plain Tesco bike?

Yeap much faster!
http://www.tesco.com/direct/vertigo-piccadilly-21-road-bike-unisex/211-7...

Been really impressed with it, survived 1,800km over the past year with no problems. Hoping dragging the 14kg up n down plenty of hills would have strengthened me up for a lighter bike.
But anyways

JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Canyon do a 105 equipped aluminium framed bike that looks pretty decent!
http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3191

backflipbedlem replied to JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes
JackBuxton wrote:

Canyon do a 105 equipped aluminium framed bike that looks pretty decent!
http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3191

Yea saw the roadlite AL the other day, really nice, but I', getting my bike with the CycleScheme, so pretty sure the company has to be UK based, and Canyon are based in germany.
Unless anyone knows a UK supplier?

Roberj4 replied to backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Canyon Bikes  8 I emailed them last year on behalf of my brother who also wanted a new bike on the CycleScheme. Their UK office replied that they weren't part of the scheme...shame

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet X pro-carbon? With Ultegra for £1K?

Not sure which if any is 'best'.

Latest Comments