Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Single Speed riders - how many of you are out there?!

Hello there!

I've been riding S.s for a couple of years now, and have never come across another S.s rider whilst out on the road! I live in Wiltshire, and was wondering if there is in fact anybody out there!
Maybe a Strava club could be made if there is enough of us, so we could meet up and ride every now and again!

If anyone is interested, let me know  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

sneakerfrfeak | 9 years ago
0 likes

I live in Wiltshire (Melksham to be exact) there's three of us that have been riding fixed together since last September.

Bought a Dolan FXE frameset last April and built it up with a mix new parts and bits i had lying around. Got fed up with replacing bits on my best bike every summer.

I've been riding it regularly now since last September and absolutely love it , so much so that i'm actually missing it now the weather has improved and the best bike is out again. I cant quite put my finger on exactly what it is, i think it's the simplicity of not changing gear and how smooth and quiet it runs plus the satisfaction you feel when you're on top the gear and spinning effortlessly, but it's really enjoyable to ride.

Currently running 48X19 which can be a bit spinny downhill (have got used to this and have maxed at 188 which was quite funny) but gives me around 20mph at a cad of 105.

JackBuxton replied to sneakerfrfeak | 9 years ago
0 likes

Mines a retro Reynolds 531 frame Raleigh with some average parts, can't beat it! I max out easy on descents, but its the same as going downhill with a bike made out of lead with me  3

Jimbonic | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would be riding my self-built fixed, pushing 46/17. However, due to a slight, erm, installer error, I am currently re-fixing the BB and chainset. So, I'm riding around on my SS MTB - I think that's a 44/16 (never checked TBH). It's been slicked tyre shod for better commuting and to save the rather weary outy knobblies. Love it - it's a total hack, but has the power to embarrass (me mostly, but also others on more geary and expensive machinery).

I'm a total fixed convert; love the total control.

Oh, and perhaps more importantly, I'm nowhere near Wiltshire. You might see me as far west as west Surrey or Berkshire, sorry, Royal Berkshire.

Chuck | 9 years ago
0 likes

SS commuter, but wouldn't even think about it for 'proper' road rides.

workhard | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fixed
SS

as the fancy takes me.

bfslxo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ride SS here in 'Norn Irel' on my 365 commuter & occassional weekend spin away from my usual club chaingang - I have never seen another SS or fixie person ever (if u don't incl 3 yr olds on their spiderman halford specials!!) I have the fixie option but in fact found it too dangerous for winter riding as I crashed and injured myself more on it in icy conditions than anything else & I feel with 20+yrs mtbing experience behind me I have at least some level of biking handling skills

adamtaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do some of my commuting (London) on a fixed gear bike. There's a load of fixed gear riders in Bristol, that's potentially not too far. Check out http://trackdropouts.com/ and http://www.dasradklub.com/

esayers | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride fixed, there seem to be a few people with fixies around here (Cardiff). My housemate has broken his mountain bike so now I'm on a mission to convert him using my fixie!

argotittilius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure there's a velominati rule about this kind of gallivanting without gears.
the positive effects of a 70 mile/week hilly commute on fixed wheel really does show in my "proper" riding though

dangoscomb | 9 years ago
0 likes

self-built single speed for my winter commutes. too many hills for fixed and I value my knees! I do ride fixed in town sometimes mind.

Old Cranky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Condor Tempo fixed wheel for me  26

djgorey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fixed - 47/17 (soon to be 16)

Love it - there is nothing like being in the right gear all the time and track stands are becoming easier for traffic lights (almost to the point where I'm learning without trying)

oldstrath | 9 years ago
0 likes

SS or fixed on the commute (depending how I feel, and whether I go off road or not), SS for more interesting offroad.

sincadena | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride a SS mtb... no shocks and v-brakes. great fun blasting past full sussers on the local trails  3

The Acai | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride ss for my commuter and seen as I live in Sheffield I'm often pondering; strong thighs or knackered knees?

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ride fixed when about town, though I have considered SS for the confidence going downhill, but I enjoy the sensation of fixed. Really helps my road cadence and pedal action. I push a 48-19

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride fixed in winter for anti skid, and obviously......on the track!

giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fixed. Though the question then is what ratio does one push.

farrell replied to giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

Though the question then is what ratio does one push.

52/16

djgorey replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

52/16

13 Bloody hell. I need to up my game a bit

JackBuxton replied to djgorey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm Running 48/18, i need to get on the weights! I'm blaming my gearing on the fact there are plenty of hills in my area... (I'm 6"5 and weigh 85 kg, i need all the help i can get!)

Miles253 replied to JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes
JackBuxton wrote:

I'm Running 48/18, i need to get on the weights! I'm blaming my gearing on the fact there are plenty of hills in my area... (I'm 6"5 and weigh 85 kg, i need all the help i can get!)

I'm a similar height and 75kg I was running 48/17 and it was always fast enough for me! Get me up most hills too.

farrell replied to djgorey | 9 years ago
0 likes
djgorey wrote:
farrell wrote:

52/16

13 Bloody hell. I need to up my game a bit

Aside from one slight lump going over the Fallowfield Loop (an old converted railway line), my commute is fairly flat and straight.

There is one particular hill in Stockport near my mates house that I am determined to make it up on that gearing but as yet not quite managed it and end up just track standing on a hill.

MKultra replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
giff77 wrote:

Though the question then is what ratio does one push.

52/16

Pushed up steep hills on foot mostly.

lolol | 9 years ago
0 likes

But they have invented gears now, that or ride fixed, single speed docks at least twelve cool points

James Warrener | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride SS instead of fix and still get plenty of benefit.

So there  1

JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nothing at allllll  3  3  3

JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I live in an area with some unavoidable descents, that broke my crank and chainring when it was fixed due to the length and gradient causing what felt like 700000 RPM, hence the SS

MKultra replied to JackBuxton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Whats wrong with caining it down hill at 36mph (speed mine spins out at) with a little voice whispering in your ear "I am going to kill you..." ?

farrell replied to MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes
MKultra wrote:

Whats wrong with caining it down hill at 36mph (speed mine spins out at) with a little voice whispering in your ear "I am going to kill you..." ?

I was rather unsettled by loss of foot retention recently, I was in the middle of an out of the saddle full gas effort whilst coming down the banking at the velodrome. There was a great sense of relief when pulled my right foot out and got the bike straightened up and then rode the bike round for a couple of laps with my legs hanging out the back in a semi Superman pose whilst it slowed down.

Acceptable on the track, not so much fun on your way home from the pub.

Pages

Latest Comments