Shimano 105 and BB86 - A newbie bike builders query

by Jimboakimbo   May 15, 2014  

Furtling in the shed the other day I realised that over the years, I've realised that numerous upgrades has left me many 'spare' bike parts laying around. So I've decided, as an exercise in self-education, to assemble a brand new bicycle using all the left-overs. I've got wheels, bars, stem, seat post and saddle. I've ordered a cheap frame but now I need to decide which group set to purchase.

As 2 of my bikes already have Shimano 105 I was planning on buying a complete group set, but the frame I've ordered has a BB86 bottom bracket. My questions are;

Can I use 105 with BB86?

What do I need to buy to allow me to use 105 with BB86?

Do I need specific BB tools?

Is there a group set that comes BB86 ready?

Apologies if this has been asked countless times, but my research so far has been inconclusive.

4 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Brilliant, thanks for the swift reply.

Jimbo-Akimbo

Jimboakimbo's picture

posted by Jimboakimbo [4 posts]
15th May 2014 - 13:33

like this
Like (0)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shimano+bb86&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB557GB5...

Shimano holowtech uses a 24mm axle so you just need the compatible bottom bracket as extra. Most complete groups come with a BSA threaded unit.

Fitting wise, wou'll need to press the cups into the frame which is probably best done by a shop with a proper press tool.

joemmo's picture

posted by joemmo [773 posts]
15th May 2014 - 13:34

like this
Like (0)

Jimboakimbo wrote:
Brilliant, thanks for the swift reply.

np - what frame is it, out of interest?

joemmo's picture

posted by joemmo [773 posts]
15th May 2014 - 13:35

like this
Like (0)

I ordered one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121249985030?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=...

No idea if it's any good. I figured that most carbon frames are made in the far-east so I'd cut out the middle man. I'll give it a thorough beasting on a turbo-trainer before riding it on the road to make sure it's not going to fall apart the second I put the hammer down.

Jimbo-Akimbo

Jimboakimbo's picture

posted by Jimboakimbo [4 posts]
15th May 2014 - 13:45

like this
Like (0)