Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cervelo s3 2014 di2

Never fancied an aero ish type bike, but I could change my training routes and give it a go, anybody own this bike and have any feedback on it? Yes I was recently looking at a climbing specific bike but I've done a wheel upgrade to my current bike. I've not found many in depth reviews of the s3.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

bailey19 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Haven't heard any creaks, although the only thing I can really hear when i'm up to speed is the cosmic carbones!

No issues with the chainset. How do you mean OK? I live in the flatlands so haven't needed to really drop out of the big ring very often. If my understanding of ratio's is correct it's only 1 gear different to running a full compact so I don't think there is that much difference in either chainring.

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers thanks for that, how are you finding the 52/36 semi compact? Are the granny ring type gears small ring at the front bigger cogs at the back ok?

Also any creaking from the bb to report?

giobox replied to tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes
tonyhogg wrote:

Cheers thanks for that, how are you finding the 52/36 semi compact? Are the granny ring type gears small ring at the front bigger cogs at the back ok?

Also any creaking from the bb to report?

Worst case scenario fit a 28 tooth cassette onto the bike if you have issues with the semi-compact/semi-race (they need to come up with a decent name for these new fangled 52/36 chainsets). I wouldn't worry about it!

bailey19 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the s3 without the Di2. Like SamShaw says, at about 7kg total weight it climbs brillantly. I think once you get to that weight of a bike the only real thing to worry about is the power/legs of the rider. It's a quick bike, handles well and I love it. Although I've not ridden at lot of nice bikes so can't give you a detailed brief on how stiff it is compared to a canyon. Also if the Garmin team are using it more than the R5 for all but the really brutal stages it must be quite tidy.

SamShaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

Aero bike... climbing bike... real world: what's the big difference? I have an S2 that weighs in at 7.48kg with pedals, cages, light bracket, gel pads on the drops (they're heavy things, you know!  4 ) with a 2nd tier groupset and aluminium cockpit. It climbs better than I ever could, 25% gradients are no better or worse than other bikes I've had. The in-depth reviews of the new Cervélo offerings are due out soon (according to my Cervélo-dealing LBS) but if they're good enough for Garmin to ride in Pro-Tour races, then they're probably ok for you & I!

spongebob | 9 years ago
0 likes

Round wheels, pedals, gears, handlebars and all that other good stuff I heard.

tonyhogg | 9 years ago
0 likes

Heard some interesting things about mounting the battery internally and firmware updates to avoid chain rub in the big ring, smallest two sprockets...

Latest Comments