Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Womens World Cup-Tour of Chongming Island

39 Hmmmm Gkam, how's the start list looking for this one geezer?  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

138 comments

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes
jova54 wrote:

I'm rather miffed about this. I selected my team in time and had a pretty good result, and now appear to have been penalised a) because there was an admin cock-up and b) because some people who weren't properly prepared missed the cut-off as a result. Tough, some you win some you loose.

I know that the management's decision is final etc, but it seems that the decision to nullify the stage scores has been taken by Gkam and not road.cc management.

Perhaps a compromise might be to calculate the scores as usual and then for those who missed out to have an average of all the counting scores. Then people who selected a team in time will get the points they worked and everyone else will get something.

Nice idea but unlikely to happen on past experience.

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

An average score cannot be given out as there is no system of doing that in the game, scores can only be given to riders picked in teams, not just handed out to any player.

I don't know what every one is moaning about. You have not lost anything, you have not dropped behind anyone else. You all scored the same and the positions stay the same.

I've given Dave a shout, he can come along and have his say, because now you do not seem happy to listen to me. Fair enough.

Can I suggest an official email is sent to all players explaining what's happened?
Ppl may be a bit more willing to listen to that  7

0 likes

Gkam84 wrote:

No, because I can do all the official emails aswell, so no point, as people are already not listening.

Fair enough but was only trying to help calm the situation because you have done exactly what should have been done on another occasion

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to cranky | 9 years ago
0 likes
cranky wrote:

Surely after the previous deadline error where people cheated by picking their team after they knew the breakaway was left to stand you can't nullify a stage when nobody has cheated!

If you pay for the game then it is a service and would expect better than a volunteer making up the rules as they go along.  14

First paragraph...point well made
Second paragraph ....bit of a personal dig but I can understand ur concern on the changing of the game rules but at least this time everyone has been treated as an equal and nobody is any worse off unless within the top 5 of the league they were within 100 points of each other and 1 out of the 5 picked a team and scored highly.

Playing devils advocate it would be interesting to see who entered a team and who didn't .....  39

simon F replied to Armchair Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Armchair Cyclist wrote:

So people don't lose out for being stupid enough to think that they can wait until Sunday evening UK time to enter a team for an event that takes place on Sunday afternoon Chinese time?

Participants should have enough interest in the event to have some notion of when it takes place, and if they lack that degree of interest, they can't expect to reap points from it. That was certainly my attitude when I noticed the discrepancy between the deadline and the schedule for the event.

(177 pts for regular team, 195 for the premium, and I would have got my first full house badge)

Maybe if you understood the difference between 11am and 11pm you'd be on safer ground in calling people stupid. And maybe if you had enough interest in the sport you'd have more than no full house badges

Armchair Cyclist replied to TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

We are told that there were about half the transfers there would normally be. That means that half the players saw what was going on, so why am I suddenly being blamed for this? I know nothing of who the organisers are.

cgipryan replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

The winning score was 207 if I remember right, I don't know what will happen with the stage prize.

Looks like I might have won this stage, alone or not, 'cause I've got 207 points (I really should read all the posts before replying, shouldn't I?)... my score is only due to the fact that I was expecting some friends to come over for the weekend, so I took a few minutes minutes on Saturday morning to quickly put a team together, knowing that the rest of the weekend would be occupied with more enjoyable activities than research  4

Joelsim replied to simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:
rcorbin wrote:

Awful decision!!

Since Dave passed over to the forum members, the game has been shambolic ever since.

Because I did some research and knew the start times, I'm penalised because others are moaning they missed the deadline!!

There have been 2 or 3 mistakes in deadlines every year since the game started. None of this is anything new or anything to do with the volunteer assistants.
Gkam is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't here. I didn't get the chance to pick a team so I prefer the neutralisation option. You did, and want to keep the points. There is no way to keep everyone happy over this. Someone will consider whatever decision is made "awful".

Agree. Give the guys a break.

Gkam84 replied to NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes
NeilG83 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

You view the game as a service....wow

Of course it's a service, which a lot of people pay to use.

Pretty sure it is NOT a service, we do not need to provide this game. Infact, if you want to class it as a service.

A service can quite easily be removed at any point in time with a decent amount of notice, just like Sky TV, Broadband.....etc.

Off to see how long Dave wants to give you all and remove the WHOLE game, maybe the end of the Giro...they see you all moaning like f*ck that there is NO game to play....

Armchair Cyclist replied to simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

Has it occurred to you that there is a difference between interest in the sport and interest in this poorly administered game?

NeilG83 replied to cgipryan | 9 years ago
0 likes
cgipryan wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

The winning score was 207 if I remember right, I don't know what will happen with the stage prize.

Looks like I might have won this stage, alone or not, 'cause I've got 207 points (I really should read all the posts before replying, shouldn't I?)... my score is only due to the fact that I was expecting some friends to come over for the weekend, so I took a few minutes minutes on Saturday morning to quickly put a team together, knowing that the rest of the weekend would be occupied with more enjoyable activities than research  4

It would be good if cgipryan got the stage winners prize. 207 is a very good score for a one-day race, which would have been close to winning anyway.

VVV73 replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
NeilG83 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Pretty sure it is NOT a service, we do not need to provide this game. Infact, if you want to class it as a service.

A service can quite easily be removed at any point in time with a decent amount of notice, just like Sky TV, Broadband.....etc.

Off to see how long Dave wants to give you all and remove the WHOLE game, maybe the end of the Giro...they see you all moaning like f*ck that there is NO game to play....

OMG!  29 ummm yes u do when people pay their hard earned to play it !
We paid for PREMIUM Isn't THAT A SERVICE.
Provides extra races.

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes
NeilG83 wrote:
cgipryan wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

It would be good if cgipryan got the stage winners prize. 207 is a very good score for a one-day race, which would have been close to winning anyway.

Tbh I don't think you would have any complaints from anyone if he did win which Gkam seems to think he did .

Gkam84 replied to Theinvisiblecyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Theinvisiblecyclist wrote:
NeilG83 wrote:
cgipryan wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Tbh I don't think you would have any complaints from anyone if he did win which Gkam seems to think he did .

We know the high scorer and as was said in the email that went out, the player will still get the prize

Armchair Cyclist replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

We know the high scorer and as was said in the email that went out, the player will still get the prize

There's a prize for the top score in a stage? Can I have mine for the Ronde van Drenthe?

cgipryan replied to Armchair Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Armchair Cyclist wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

There's a prize for the top score in a stage? Can I have mine for the Ronde van Drenthe?

From http://fantasy.road.cc/howto, about prizes:

In the event of a tie, the following criteria, where applicable, will be used to determine the winner:
Highest single stage score posted within the competition
Most scoring riders on the stage
Highest scoring individual rider on the stage
Coin toss

The second criterion applies to your case, I think... I know, its annoying, but I've already lost a stage win on coin toss, so it can be worse than in your case...

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
NeilG83 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Can u update the Giro scores first  3

VVV73 replied to Theinvisiblecyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Over 3,000 people in Giro. If a 1/3 were premium, That's 10,ooo pound for providing a what you call NOT A SERVICE...wish I had a Business like that  35

Gkam84 replied to Theinvisiblecyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Theinvisiblecyclist wrote:

Can u update the Giro scores first  3

Dave is running the Giro, not me. He'll update them when he see's fit and after the deadline for California.....

Gkam84 replied to Armchair Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Armchair Cyclist wrote:

So people don't lose out for being stupid enough to think that they can wait until Sunday evening UK time to enter a team for an event that takes place on Sunday afternoon Chinese time?

Participants should have enough interest in the event to have some notion of when it takes place, and if they lack that degree of interest, they can't expect to reap points from it. That was certainly my attitude when I noticed the discrepancy between the deadline and the schedule for the event.

(177 pts for regular team, 195 for the premium, and I would have got my first full house badge)

Thanks for the heads up eh......

So you had enough interest to see the time discrepancy, but not enough to inform someone from the game so this whole situation could have been avoided.....nice attitude to have.....

Where is the W*nker smiley when you need it.....

Armchair Cyclist replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can I confirm that you are one of the administrators of this? Do you really consider this an appropriate response to somebody who is disappointed at the blatant incompetence shown by those running this?

benji p replied to Armchair Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Armchair Cyclist wrote:

Can I confirm that you are one of the administrators of this? Do you really consider this an appropriate response to somebody who is disappointed at the blatant incompetence shown by those running this?

I think you deserve a more courteous response than the one you were given and I think it's fair to question whether Gkam truly is an administrator or not. I really think he's been rude and unprofessional, without wanting to take away from his efforts to keep this place running. That said, had you taken the time to speak up about the error you noticed it's kind of sad to think you could have helped out and possibly have made this mess non-existent.

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just done something.....Neutralised the stage.

Wait until you see the amount of complaints.....but it is done. It is MY mistake, I stand up and take that on board.

It is NOTHING to do with the womens racing, I put in the wrong information. Tried to correct it, but I know I left it a bit late and it affected alot of teams, After looking through the scoring. I think it was only fair to give everyone the same.

Sorry

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The information has been there for every single race apart from the first one. It was available, I just couldn't track it down.

Startlists and results are not a problem.

It was MY fault, the deadline was supposed to be set for 11pm and I had set it for 11am.....

simon F replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

It was MY fault, the deadline was supposed to be set for 11pm and I had set it for 11am.....

It doesn't really matter whose fault it was, I'm still 100-150 points down. I would have a rant about it but I just can't be bothered, quite apart from the risk of being ostracised from the forums. It's just the icing on the cake of a crap week all round.
I'm still pissed off about it though.

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

It doesn't really matter whose fault it was, I'm still 100-150 points down. I would have a rant about it but I just can't be bothered, quite apart from the risk of being ostracised from the forums. It's just the icing on the cake of a crap week all round.
I'm still pissed off about it though.

It does seem if you have vehement opinion and wish to air it in a constructive manner certain people inglved with these forums don't like it.....

I'n regards to Gkam owning up to the mistake and taking the decision to neutralize the stage .....I respect him for saying what happened and what he did but I also am slightly annoyed that because I don't leave picks till the last minute I have been penalised.

7 out of my 9 riders scored but Id rather the stage be fair to all than me gaining from people missing out due to an admin error .......perhaps this course of action should have been taken in the infamous spring classics  39

Either way Gkam  41  41

arcadiak replied to Theinvisiblecyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well said Sir.  41

chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ray, there was no issue with getting the correct info, someone just screwed up when they set the deadline. Could just as easily have happened in a men's race.

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Really GKam......It's not about sexism......it's about the quality of info available

I've mentioned that plenty of times.....for example:

Yeah I know....my reasonable head made me include it in the Forum's Scorum's league at least.....my unreasonable head is calling for the Under 12's local criteriums to be included!!
I appreciate that female cycling is a serious sport but even it's most fervent supoorters must admit that there has been a problem with either startlists or results in every race so far?

Lifted directly from Why Can't we have the women's Tour thread.

Anyway this particular 'sexist' Obstetric Anaesthetist is off to work and will probably miss out on watching the Giro/Cali stages

Pages

Latest Comments