Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Womens World Cup-Tour of Chongming Island

39 Hmmmm Gkam, how's the start list looking for this one geezer?  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

138 comments

jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm rather miffed about this. I selected my team in time and had a pretty good result, and now appear to have been penalised a) because there was an admin cock-up and b) because some people who weren't properly prepared missed the cut-off as a result. Tough, some you win some you loose.

I know that the management's decision is final etc, but it seems that the decision to nullify the stage scores has been taken by Gkam and not road.cc management.

Perhaps a compromise might be to calculate the scores as usual and then for those who missed out to have an average of all the counting scores. Then people who selected a team in time will get the points they worked and everyone else will get something.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

An average score cannot be given out as there is no system of doing that in the game, scores can only be given to riders picked in teams, not just handed out to any player.

I don't know what every one is moaning about. You have not lost anything, you have not dropped behind anyone else. You all scored the same and the positions stay the same.

I've given Dave a shout, he can come along and have his say, because now you do not seem happy to listen to me. Fair enough.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

No, because I can do all the official emails aswell, so no point, as people are already not listening.

johnny2names | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice! Just spotted my Luxembourg-like null point- now I understand. Oh, and I missed the ToC deadline, can that be annuled too?

Too much?

Everyone gets the odd think wrong, let's relax. Just a game and all that. Right thing to do in this instance, IMO.

Let's move on...

northstar | 9 years ago
0 likes

You are the one not listening, could you be any more arrogant?

This service is turning into a complete joke.

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Id have preferred the the points, 7 in the top 11 would have been decent (didn't see what I actually scored, but think it would have been 189) but im not gonna moan. Had I actually paid more attention I may have queried the mistake. But I never saw one player query the mistake, when the start time has been there for weeks, yet one person is expected to get everything spot on  39

Yes I left DVP off by accident, but again had people trusted official startlists they could have put him in for stage one.

All it seems to be is moan moan moan, every single mistake and i gets brought about it being a payed service. would I have made that mistake had i been payed, yes i probably still would. I also think a lot of people expect an awful lot for 10 quid. It will barley get you three pints these days, yet people want a service with no mistakes, yet humans are doing it, so mistakes will happen. Seem to think I may as well not bother anymore, can't win no matter what happens. Stay up till 1.30/2am every night this week getting the scores done (not that im after praise or anything), but in context will get hounded down for any minor mistake in the grand scheme of things. and whether people should be expected to or not, mistakes that could have been raised beforehand by others and thus corrected, and also that people good have ignored off there own back (ie DVP) and trusted other sources.

cranky | 9 years ago
0 likes

Surely after the previous deadline error where people cheated by picking their team after they knew the breakaway was left to stand you can't nullify a stage when nobody has cheated!

If you pay for the game then it is a service and would expect better than a volunteer making up the rules as they go along.  14

Tom Amos | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the mistake that has been made here is that the scores were published, then neutralized. I was excited to see I had several badges and then BOOM nul points.

As others have said above, it's not terribly important. The game will continue. I think it's unfortunate that this race was ever proposed to be scored in the middle of the Giro, arguably the greatest grand tour of the year. And, just to complicate matters, the Tour of California. I made a mental note all week to make sure I selected a team for Saturday because I didn't want to fall behind in the league table.

I see that the next race isn't for 77 days. Thank God for that huh?  4

Don't get too stressed Gkam. Forums are designed for venting and on the whole I think the roadcc forums are very civilised. I would be prepared to pay more for the competition to ensure that the scorers are paid a fee for their time. I think others have suggested this before.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Volunteers don't make up the rules....I got Dave to change the deadline and also got an OK from him to neutralise the stage  103

Aapje | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suggest sending a mail to all participants so those who don't check the forum know what happened.

STEVESPRO 79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

We play this game for differing reasons.... I started playing while recovering from serious leg surgery and it made my listening to Carlton Kirbys repetitive drivel on Eurosport a little more bearable and it really has got me hooked on Pro Cycling....
This forum is a tool on which players can air their views, nothing more and some people need to take it less to heart... Whats the saying.....
"You cannot please everyone all of the time but you should try and please most of the people for most of the time."
I just think that people would like to see a little more consistency on decision making at times.

That said I would rather have the game with its occasional glitches, than not to have it...

So the game for me has turned me into an avid cycling fan who gets out to watch races and sportives whenever I can.... I am sure that there are many more like me who have had their eyes opened to the joys of cycling by the road.cc game and that said, I shall be eternally grateful to the people who run it...  3

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It do feel that FAR to many people take this game way to seriously, I'd hate to sit down with them and play monopoly.

At the end of the day, it is a game, but you can win actual real life prizes....Some worth quite a lump of cash, everyone has the same chance.

Pick 9 riders and see what comes up....Some research more than others and this does pay off on certain races.

But the womens cycling is here for a couple of reasons.

1, I wanted to run it, see how it went down and how easy it was to come by the information, looking to the future and running different races. i.e. The womens tour.
2, I wanted to highlight womens racing in general, there is a serious lack of it anywhere on the internet, not least in the British media, who only cover it if there is a British win.

I think you'll ALL agree (those of you who've been around since the start) that quite a few races had their difficulties in the first season of the game, then new ones in the second season.

So like other races, the womens has had little difficulties. The fairest thing for today was to give everyone 0 and that way, no-one wins and loses and the overall competition for the prize is still fair. The total of the womens world cup prizes comes to £1314.92. It needs to be kept fair for ALL.

Competition winner A dhb kit prize bundle of new range dhb Road cycling Kit £500.00
Competition runner up A dhb kit prize bundle of new range dhb Road cycling Kit £250.00
Competition third place A selection of Lifeline products £125.00
Stage winner A set of dhb triple lens sunglasses £29.99
Raffle winner A dhb kit prize bundle £200.00

0 likes

Out of curiosity Gkam, do you know what the winning score was? Not necessarily who, just the score?

rcorbin | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thing is, it's not fair for the people who put a team in though is it? Why should they be penalised?

I know the decision has been made but there is no consistency, when it happened in the classics, it wasn't nulled.

Also, you can see when transfers were made so why not remove those after the cut off from the scores.

Out if interest, who would have won the stage? Will they be getting a prize?

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The winning score was 207 if I remember right, I don't know what will happen with the stage prize.

The classics was a different issue.

There were no transfers made after 4.50am with the deadline being changed to 5.00am, but that cut 6 hours of that people were expecting to put teams in by, so it is totally different from the classics. That deadline over ran the race. People were able to put in riders after the race had started.

LEARNING from that and knowing the deadline of 11am would have meant that everyone could have waited until the race was finished and entered the top 9 riders. I contacted Dave to have him change the deadline so that it did not over run the race.

So we learnt from the classics, I made a mistake when entering the deadlines, instead of putting it at 11pm, I had it set to 11am the next day. I only noticed at 11.09pm when I contacted Dave to try and sort it.

This is a genuine mistake and will be learnt from, just like the classics has been.

I'm going to say no more on it. I think I have pretty much covered everything.

I have asked Dave to have a say, because some of you want to hear from the management. So I'm sure he'll post something whenever he has time to do it.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just sent out this email to all users but i'll repeat it here:

We had a problem with the Women’s World Cup stage for the Tour of Chongming Island. The deadline was set 12 hours too late; this was down to human error and we apologise for this. We’re currently looking at implementing extra safeguards to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

The deadline issue meant that many players didn’t get to make transfers; there were about half the number of transfers we’d normally expect. As this issue affected such a large number of players, we decided to neutralise this stage. We’ll still award a high score stage prize for the Tour of Chongming Island but the points won’t count towards the competition.

Since transfers are unlimited between stages of the Women’s World Cup this shouldn’t affect forthcoming stages.

Once again, we apologise for the error and we’ll try to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it possible for your to repost the scores for maybe 24 hours? I would like to know what my score was and how I fared against other players.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I shall post the scores shortly so you can work out your own score just for interests sake

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kirsten Wild 50
Elena Cecchini 40
Giorgia Bronzini 30
Emilie Moberg 25
Melissa Hoskins 20
Shelley Olds 18
Charlotte Becker 16
Anna Trevisi 14
Annalisa Cucinotta 12
Cecilie Gotass Johnsen 11
Sara Mustonen 10
Simona Bortolotti 10
Rozane Fournier 10
Julie Leth 9
Oxana Kozonchauk 8
Fanny Riberot 7
Kim De Baat 6
Marijn De Vries 5
Willeke Knol 5
Julia Soek 5
Nina Kessler 5
Olga Zabelinskaya 4
Maria Giulia Confalonieri 3
Aurore Verhoeven 2
Lucy Garner 1

LowSalubrityThug | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had to happen on my best scoring stage ever...I think they call that sod's law.

Oh well, mustn't grumble. It is after all just a game. Back to the Giro.

0 likes

194 for me, 8 scorers out of 9 (6 of the top 7), so I can't have been far off a top 10

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

TER, you were down in the 20's

3cylinder | 9 years ago
0 likes

Podium and an OK score, but it makes sense to ditch the result to me.

I'm more disappointed that none of the small team / local riders made it into the scores that might have been

stevemarks | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am only moaning because on this occasion I got my team in well before the deadline and think that I probably did well, (I haven't bothered to check yet).

Whenever there has been a problem in the past and some players have been disadvantaged, we have been told that it is the players responsibility to check start times, riders actuallly taking part etc ourselves. I was rather miffed at not having Danny Van Poppel in California when I believed he was racing but was not sure who to believe, and left him out just in case. I would think that those sort of decisions should be consistent.

I love this game and do not care what happens here but it would seem to me that on the basis of the above you got this one wrong!

Armchair Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

So people don't lose out for being stupid enough to think that they can wait until Sunday evening UK time to enter a team for an event that takes place on Sunday afternoon Chinese time?

Participants should have enough interest in the event to have some notion of when it takes place, and if they lack that degree of interest, they can't expect to reap points from it. That was certainly my attitude when I noticed the discrepancy between the deadline and the schedule for the event.

(177 pts for regular team, 195 for the premium, and I would have got my first full house badge)

0 likes

Just a question Armchair, when did you notice it? and in noticing how come you didn't try letting someone know that could rectify it further in advance (if it was case you knew before 11pm last night)

VVV73 replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What a shambles....It didn't save one of my teams too..
I just love this, gets better every day , makes be look great .lol  21

simon F replied to rcorbin | 9 years ago
0 likes
rcorbin wrote:

Awful decision!!

Since Dave passed over to the forum members, the game has been shambolic ever since.

Because I did some research and knew the start times, I'm penalised because others are moaning they missed the deadline!!

There have been 2 or 3 mistakes in deadlines every year since the game started. None of this is anything new or anything to do with the volunteer assistants.
Gkam is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't here. I didn't get the chance to pick a team so I prefer the neutralisation option. You did, and want to keep the points. There is no way to keep everyone happy over this. Someone will consider whatever decision is made "awful".

NeilG83 replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You view the game as a service....wow

Of course it's a service, which a lot of people pay to use.

Theinvisiblecyclist replied to NeilG83 | 9 years ago
0 likes
NeilG83 wrote:

It's the lack of consistency that annoys me (and that I would have scored quite well). When there were problems with deadlines in the spring classics people with complaints were told to lump it and the race was scored as normal. Those who took advantage of the mistakes were even congratulated by some on the forum. Also a rider was left off the start list of the Tour of California and the stage was scored as normal.

Well said  41

Pages

Latest Comments