Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sea Sucker.

Looks like this could be the solution to my problem.
http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

I have lease cars which change with alarming regularity and it's not worth buying either tow bar or roof bars.
Does anyone have any experience of these things? Any horror stories? Any long term issues?

Any alternative systems that I could look at?

Muchas gracias.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

don simon fbpe | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

@don simon - Did you get one in the end, and how did you find it? Did you go for the Talon or the Hornet?

In the end I bought a second car for biking and other duties... Sorry.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm wondering whether this could be a solution to my glass roof Honda civic issue. The official Honda rack costs an arm and a leg and I've always disliked the faff of putting them on and taking them off. I assume it would stick well to glass but I'm not sure whether the roof is designed to take any weight.

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bumped thread. Just seen an ad for this vacuum cup bike rack product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBK8pUPWu2A

@don simon - Did you get one in the end, and how did you find it? Did you go for the Talon or the Hornet?

Seems like the ideal solution for when you don't want roof bars permanently mounted or faff around with dozens of straps each time you want to sling the bike on the back of the car.

Downside (apart from the obvious catastrophic failure scenario) would appear to be the (lack of) security aspect - you couldn't feel safe leaving a bike on a car unattended, so only useful for shorter journeys where the bike comes down and the rack gets thrown inside the car,

don simon fbpe | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Craig749, Thanks for that. DemonTweeks are just around the corner from me so I'll go and have a look if they have them in stock.

@wellcoordinated, Ideal solution would be inside the car, but that's not always possible. I wouldn't be happy leaving my pride and joy on display, and out of sight for any length of time, on any external mounting.

@roberj4, it's the glass lifting that has given me the confidence to think that this is a good solution, but I have seen cup failures when trying to lift glass...

Cheers all.

wellcoordinated | 9 years ago
0 likes

My concern with these would be with security. Most bike rack solutions offer a modicum of security in that you can lock your bike to the rack and the rack to your car. With these though a thief would only need a knife or screw driver to break the suction and hey presto he has your nice bike and £150 of fancy bike rack.

Roberj4 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm wait for them to be distributed in the UK but (thanks) I'll take a look at the above link. I've no hesitation in ordering as I only need for one bike. If suction pads successfully lift heavy glass in housing construction this seems such a good idea for bikes. Bike box manufacturers should incorporate the design so when you arrive abroad to collect you hire car just 'stick' the box on the car roof!

craig749 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought one of these the other month as a friend recommended them and so far I cant fault it. When I first looked at them the designs seemed a bit bonkers but after using one I can assure you that they do work.

As far as long term issues go I cant comment as I've not had it long enough but based on all the reviews I read before buying and the feedback from my friend SeaSucker is a great product!  3

Hope this helps.

I bought mine from Tweeks and was more than happy with the price/service: http://www.tweekscycles.com/bike-accessories/car-bike-racks

Latest Comments