Dual Eyewear glasses

by jova54   May 11, 2014  

Been reading the cycling sunglasses Road Test in Cycling Plus and interested in the Dual Eyewear glasses with the in-built bifocal lens.

I use vari-focals all the time and need to wear them when cycling so I can see my phone and cycling computer, so these might be a solution.

They get a good review but the bifocal section is a fixed diopter.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on these?

3 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I too need varifocal due to be old and broken ... Smile

I use Rudy Project with an optical insert on the inside. this means when my
prescription changes all I need change is the lenses in the inserts - far cheaper Smile

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [709 posts]
12th May 2014 - 8:03

1 Like

Also very interested in these.

I find the glasses that use optical inserts, which tend to sit very close to the eye uncomfortable. I don't fancy paying stupid amounts of money for prescription cycling glasses as I know I'll either break them or I'll lose them.

Instead, I've been wearing bifocal safety glasses, which you can pickup for as little as £10 online, and they look OK if a bit basic. They will also sometimes steam up quite easily, which is a problem.

These basically look like a proper version of the same thing, and I may well pick up a pair. If the only thing wrong with your eyes is that they've reached 40, you should be able to pick a pair which are a good enough match for your prescription.

posted by bikebot [528 posts]
12th May 2014 - 14:33

1 Like

Just got a copy of the prescription for my current varifocals from the optician. It's +2.5 for each eye so pushing the probable limit of these glasses but they sound a better option to inserts.

Be interested to know if anyone has any practical experience. Wiggle only carry +1.5 lenses. I had read somewhere, but can't remember where, that these don't need to be as strong as prescription glasses.

Did Nightrider 2013 and 2014 for Parkinson's UK. Might just have one last go in 2015.

jova54's picture

posted by jova54 [618 posts]
12th May 2014 - 15:50

1 Like