Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Who's braving the Arctic winds then?

metcheck tells me that we're unlikely to get much above 1°c round our way on saturday. should i be in the shed fitting wood screws to my tyres?  19

Seriously though, who's going to brave it? and what are your best survival tips? my feet always fare the worst, overshoes or no overshoes they're numb after about a hour  2 anyone tried those electrically heated socks you can get from certain rubbish mail-order catalogues?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

ourmaninthenorth | 15 years ago
0 likes

It was pretty damn cold, windy, wet and snow covered on the roads of Flanders this weekend.

Although, the racing at the Ghent Six was fantastic and the Super Prestige cross (won by Sven Nys of course) on sunday was a complete whiteout - didn't stop them racing in shorts and short sleeves though!

Now I see why the Belgians are the true hardmen of cycling.

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

That was a tad blustery out there!

Still I had a nice ride and the first time this year to roll out the Rapha winter hat again. I love that hat, so had nice warm ears and head, toes weren't quite the same though.

Another point for the century challenge, and looks like my 2 midweek interval sessions are paying off as the first 30 miles I did at TT pace and was up on previous times by a fair bit. Also rode some cheeky sort off my wheel when he jumped on uninvited as I passed him and proceeded to hang on the back with no word of gratitude or offer of taking the front. Chuffed with that as I was riding into a 20mph headwind at the time...

Denzil Dexter replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Well, my experiment was a failure because it was neither cold nor windy, just damp. So much for the "Arctic plunge"
Good ride though  1

Hammy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'm taking my wheel out for a blow - going to layer up big time and try out some thermal overshoes that I bought last year but were too warm whenever I used them.
Though actually it's my paws that suffer most  20

James Warrener replied to Hammy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I am going to brave the wind, snow, sleet and fens... But you are not enthusing me!

I see Metcheck has a cycling forecast now

Tony Farrelly replied to James Warrener | 15 years ago
0 likes

I had plans to try and get some metric century points on the board, there were supposed to be three of us, but now it's only me and I'm wavering… on the other hand we've just had a really nice looking Orbea in, that fits me,  and although it's going to be cold the forecast has suddenly changed to sun around here.

So how does the Metcheck cycling forecast differ from the normal one?

gandberg replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

heading out whatever the weather brings. Tried half hour in the gym mid week and it is was ruddy awful, mainly due to the incredibly uncomfy saddle. No nice ladies to look at either. A tortuous (is that a word?) 10miles.

Denzil Dexter replied to gandberg | 15 years ago
0 likes

I plan some extended experiments into the thermal dynamics involved in riding a bicycle in a freezing gale.

Looking forward to it  4

James Warrener replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

So how does the Metcheck cycling forecast differ from the normal one?

not much from what I can see, it is more compact focusing on the wind direction and speed.

If you want longer range information though, it requires you to upgrade to premium at £3.95 per month.

purplecup replied to James Warrener | 15 years ago
0 likes

the 'sweat index' of zero presumably means a 'freezing my ass off' index of at least eight then  19  19

Latest Comments