Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro 2014

does anyone know when the Giro 2014 will 'open' on Road.cc ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

91 comments

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The budget isn't going to make it easier , if anything I think it will make it harder as you will have so much choice

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The budget isn't going to make it easier , if anything I think it will make it harder as you will have so much choice

arsene | 9 years ago
0 likes

To me the only reason for such a high budget is to attract more players, the casual followers. They only know the best riders so a low budget scares them away because they don't know the lesser known riders.

But that's the point, it kind of dumbs the game down. And furthermore I don't even think it would help expand the game because there are a lot of high budget games already existing. So it takes away of the unique nature of our game. And this sucks.  31

arsene | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not exactly the same players doing well. I'm one of the best purist players and I suck with high budgets. It just makes the game more random imo. Plus it takes excitement away anyway.  2

enrique replied to arsene | 9 years ago
0 likes
arsene wrote:

It's not exactly the same players doing well. I'm one of the best purist players and I suck with high budgets. It just makes the game more random imo. Plus it takes excitement away anyway.  2

Honestly, I think (and hope!  4 ) you'll do much better than you think at the Giro. If you're good at a restricted Purist, just make a team to fit a 145 budget and then throw in a very popular 'big gun' for measure... On the other hand, I really understand your dilemma and if you want, and you miss it that (!) much, I'll be happy to set up a Forum Competition to play with a restricted budget of 145, 150 or whatever you think would be a challenge. I know it won't be as pretty as the game interface and you won't get daily updates, but if you like the idea I'll even post the results in color  4 And I'll join play to keep you company  36

arsene replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
arsene wrote:

Honestly, I think (and hope!  4 ) you'll do much better than you think at the Giro. If you're good at a restricted Purist, just make a team to fit a 145 budget and then throw in a very popular 'big gun' for measure... On the other hand, I really understand your dilemma and if you want, and you miss it that (!) much, I'll be happy to set up a Forum Competition to play with a restricted budget of 145, 150 or whatever you think would be a challenge. I know it won't be as pretty as the game interface and you won't get daily updates, but if you like the idea I'll even post the results in color  4 And I'll join play to keep you company  36

Yeah let's see how I go. I'm just worried because the Giro is my favorite race but I have to accept it as it is I guess.  17
And thank you for your endeavors enrique but I don't want a forum game. I'm accepting the challenge of playing the Giro with a high budget.  16

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think 180 is too much too

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

41  41  41  41

You can quote for all different threads to make it sound like I mean anything, congratulations, now you can **** ***

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

... now you can **** ***

Aw, c'mon... No need to be rude... We're still friends aren't we?... What's a little joke amongst friends?  39

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Where can I find the preliminary start list used by the game for the Giro?

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just think Gkam doesn't like it coz Dave gave Enrique what he wanted  24

I'n all honesty I can't see the increased budget making a huge difference

simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. I've found some of these low budget early season races tough - not that I'm complaining, I've done OK by the standards I set myself (keeping TER's wheel in sight in the W. Mids and scoring a few FSUCI points) but I like the idea of a bit looser game now and again.

I'm strongly of the opinion that even if we had unlimited budget and unlimited transfers it would still mostly be the same familiar faces at the top - the people who have the knowledge of who's in form, who's targeting what and the patience to track down all the team page, preview site and twitter rumours about which rider seems to be having problems with injury or illness and which one is faking it for a big surprise the next day.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not saying that everyone picks the same teams, but just watch for a couple of the HIGH mountains, the scores on the stages will not be much different for the top say 400. They will all have similar riders and the only difference between those and the stage winner will be a point or two for having someone that everyone else didn't think would make 5th in the youth jersey.

I've decided, I'm going with two fully Italian teams, the most expensive I can fit in and then the 9 cheapest Italians

0 likes

I don't know, G. First you put in a team in Gent Wevelgem with 5 of the breakaway riders and explain it away by saying:

Gkam84 wrote:

I just did it to see how it compares to others scores

Then you're rude to people saying things like:

Gkam84 wrote:

... if you are not happy, you know what you can do. I couldn't care less about your small minded views.

and...

Gkam84 wrote:

... if you are not happy... F*** OFF

Then Dave puts up a budget of 180 for the Giro and you say:

Gkam84 wrote:

... 180 is ridiculous and I've decided that I will enter two teams of 5.0 or under because its got stupid now

Then you say:

Gkam84 wrote:

I'm not playing for places or prizes, I just put in a team because I can. I couldn't care if I score big or 0....

Then you change your mind and say:

Gkam84 wrote:

I've decided, I'm going with two fully Italian teams...

After having said:

Gkam84 wrote:

I'm sick of bitching and moaning about this, that and the other.... Lately [the game] is just taking up time that I could be doing better things with... my time is money. ....

I don't know...  39

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's good fun to mix it up a bit. i look forward to seeing exactly the same people doing well, and it making precisely no difference to my mid-table performance.

the difference between 150 and 180 is one major rider. you'll still have to take some chances with the lower order even if you stick in the big names. as usual, the people that are good at picking those riders will do well. it won't be any more or less skilful. just a bit different. even if the budget was 500, i still wouldn't win, because i won't have thought it all through and i won't have the right riders, or enough transfers.

to say it's all about budget is to massively miss the point. the logical extension of that argument is that if i raise the budget to the point where you can literally pick whoever you want (and i'll reiterate: a budget of 180 does *not* let you do that) then we'd have a 7,000-way tie for first place. hands up who thinks that would happen?

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

I look forward to seeing exactly the same people doing well...

I've been hitting the 'Like' button at your post for half an hour already and your post should have about 1400 'Likes' by now, unfortunately, something is wrong with the system and it's only registering 1 'Like' from me  39

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

... i look forward to seeing exactly the same people doing well...

enrique replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

... i look forward to seeing exactly the same people doing well...

You're still looking good, js...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not playing for places or prizes, I just put in a team because I can. I couldn't care if I score big or 0.

but 180 is FAR to much, 150 would have been about right.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just looked 180 is ridiculous and I've decided that I will enter two teams of 5.0 or under because its got stupid now

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Just looked 180 is ridiculous... its got stupid now

If it's ridiculous why don't you just play it to win and prove it's 'ridiculously easy' by winning it, placing in the Top 10 overall or placing Top 10 in every stage?..

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

180 credits and I still haven't got Quintana in purist......just don't think he'll do that well fantasy wise even though he may well win the Giro itself but taking the lead late in the race.

EBH and Matthews are the interesting ridersfor me....and I'm predicting one or perhaps both of them will be in pink at some stage in the opening skirmishes.

My preliminary team

Chicchi
Kittel
K.Fernandez
Malori
J-Rod
Evans
Roche
EBH
Hoogerland

may swap EBH and Hoogerland for Matthews and Cunego?

enrique replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

I still haven't got Quintana in purist...

I hope you're right for your own sake, but for the life of me, I can't see any Purist team winning this thing without Evans and Quintana on their Purist teams... It will be a damn exciting Giro if I'm wrong though!  1 To start off with, don't you think Movistar will come in Top 3 in the TTT?  39

ray silvester wrote:

EBH and Matthews are the interesting riders for me....

Matthews is another rider I can't see anyone leaving out of their Purist squad...
What I worry about with Boassen Hagen is I don't know if he'll end up riding in support of Swift  39

I'm worried about Kittel being dropped on any (!) kind of a hill and, crap, Fernandez? Well, I've been hoping he'd return to old glory and place on a Top 20 anywhere and anyhow, but he may good for the points in the TTT and maybe he'll place Top 20 in a sprint or maybe he'll go on a break... J Rod on your first day team? Do you expect Katusha to do a really good TTT?  39 Now you've got me thinking...

I will say this, I am very happy to see the competition open so early. It gives us a lot of time to plan and play with our squads. Thank you!  1

ray silvester replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

I still haven't got Quintana in purist...

I hope you're right for your own sake, but for the life of me, I can't see any Purist team winning this thing without Evans and Quintana on their Purist teams... It will be a damn exciting Giro if I'm wrong though!  1 To start off with, don't you think Movistar will come in Top 3 in the TTT?  39

ray silvester wrote:

EBH and Matthews are the interesting riders for me....

Matthews is another rider I can't see anyone leaving out of their Purist squad...
What I worry about with Boassen Hagen is I don't know if he'll end up riding in support of Swift  39

I'm worried about Kittel being dropped on any (!) kind of a hill and, crap, Fernandez? Well, I've been hoping he'd return to old glory and place on a Top 20 anywhere and anyhow, but he may good for the points in the TTT and maybe he'll place Top 20 in a sprint or maybe he'll go on a break... J Rod on your first day team? Do you expect Katusha to do a really good TTT?  39 Now you've got me thinking...

I will say this, I am very happy to see the competition open so early. It gives us a lot of time to plan and play with our squads. Thank you!  1

(Chiichi,J-Rod,Kittel,Fernandez,Malori,Evans,Roche,Hoogerland,EBH)That's my purist team!!

My prelim standard team looks like this at the moment;

Matthews,Hepburn,Lastras,Malori,Swift,K.Fernandez,Farrar,Viviani,Kittel....with Bouhanni coming in for Malori or Hepburn depending on TTT results.

ray silvester replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

180 credits and I still haven't got Quintana in purist......just don't think he'll do that well fantasy wise even though he may well win the Giro itself but taking the lead late in the race.

EBH and Matthews are the interesting ridersfor me....and I'm predicting one or perhaps both of them will be in pink at some stage in the opening skirmishes.

I thought so!!

arsene | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not trying to come off egotistical or something but my honest opinion is that you should lower the budget just for the good of this unique game you have created. If we wanted a competition where we can pick all of the favorites, there are plenty of other sites already.  2

arsene | 9 years ago
0 likes

Let me explain why I think the budget is too high. Btw I'm talking from a purist point of view.
Imo a lower budget makes the race more tactical and benefits the more 'skilled' players. You have to make a lot more decisions. The teams are more diverse and this makes the competition more exciting because you have a unique set of riders.
With a higher budget everyone picks Quintana, Evans, Rodriguez, so it's not really important who of these riders wins because everyone has them anyway.
I honestly can't think of a way such a high budget can benefit the game.  2

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

the big launch is on tuesday but yeah, it's open now

chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's open! With a budget of 180, should hopefully attract the more casual follower.

arsene replied to chrisdstripes | 9 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

It's open! With a budget of 180, should hopefully attract the more casual follower.

That's too high!  20

Pages

Latest Comments