Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need wheel advice

I'm looking for an upgrade from my mavic aksium they weigh in about 2400 I have about £300 I can push to about £350 if needed

I'm running 10 speed 105 boardman pro carbon with ultegra bb and compact and am currently waiting on a Columbus Grammy fork

Ideally I want clinchers with sealed bearings and the weight around 1800 or under
Just need some advice there is too much choice thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would go for Zondas, shimano hub or the equivalent Fulcrum, great bearings, and low weight, around 1550g

daddyELVIS | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for RS81's from me

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Planet-X AL-30's - around just over 1600g for £150 or Superstarcomponents have a lot of choice between £150 and £300, mostly sub 1700g too.

Fulcrums and Mavics aren't the lightest for their particular price point.

manoirdelourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of 2008 Aksiums, they weigh 1825g. You need to remember that all quoted weights are without tyres, tubes, cassette and skewers.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for RS80's or RS81's if i were in your position. 1500g for around £350.

Not sure the bearings match your criteria though.

Campagno Zonda's with shimano hub are probably worth a look in also.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum Quattro's.

mudshark | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just bought some Easton EA90 RTs from Chain Reaction for £330 (RRP £680) - they were doing 10% off that too but that's finished now I think. Not seen them yet but I think they're meant to be 1550g though reviews say maybe they're more like 1600g - no rim tape needed though.

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

For that sort of money, i'd seriously consider some hand-builts, e.g. Miche Primato hubs, H Plus Son rims and Alpina spokes. Plenty of folk to choose from, i've found this very useful (no affliation), had some Alpina elliptical spokes in recently and has quite a few happy customers on BR by the sound of it

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/

There are many others though - Wheelsmith, CycleClinic, Just Riding Along, DCR, Strada and so on and so on. Be surprised if there weren't quite a few people on here who couldn't comment on choices. Just me 2p worth anyway.

rnarito | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shimano Dura Ace C24...1454 g (with skewers)...my go to climbing wheels...also heard the Schwalbe One's are incredible tires!

Charles_Hunter | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think your wheels will be advertised at a lot less than the weight you are quoting - a google says aksium wheels are about 1800g so you already have what you want it seems.

Charliegr555 replied to Charles_Hunter | 9 years ago
0 likes

Weighing them when I built the bike puts them about 2200 no tyres

giobox replied to Charliegr555 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Charliegr555 wrote:

Weighing them when I built the bike puts them about 2200 no tyres

Was the cassette attached to the rear wheel when you weighed? Mavic's quoted weights have always been a little misleading, but 2200 sounds to me like you haven't done an apples to apples comparison.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ksyriums or Fulcrum racing 3 ??

Charliegr555 replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it worth the extra money for fulcrum?
Also I need a tapered black full carbon fork around the 200 mark any idea?

Latest Comments