Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pilates for flexibility?

I never thought I'd be asking this question but can anyone recommend a good Pilates DVD? Although I cycle everyday (200 miles a week), as a road rider by flexibility is terrible. As I want to possibly do some time trialing in the near future I think improving my flexibility will be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance for your help  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

robdaykin (not verified) | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not sure how you'd measure. Not great around lower back and hips in my estimation, but not bad. Not prone to aches and pains off the bike. The difference for me is less about increased flexibility as the muscle strength to actually support and use that flexibility. All very well being able to get into a tuck, but if you seize up after 10 seconds (which I used to) and have to go back to the tops, it's not much good.
I'd say my range has increased on some flexes over time, but couldn't quantify it usefully.
Is that any help?

SB76 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do some yoga moves 3/4 times a week. I have done classes but could only do one a week and that's not enough to use it as stretching.

Effectively, I do continuous rounds of sun salutation for 20 minutes, mixed in with a few other lower back/ hip yoga moves.
Whichever route, active stretching is great for body and core

craig749 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all for the feedback. From what you are all saying DVD's are a waste of time and classes are the way to go. Time to start looking for classes in that case!

@robdaykin how flexible we're you before you started the classes?

Thanks

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is great feedback, anybody from the South East?

0 likes

I'll admit to over 40. We have some errr... mature ... ladies in the class, who are improving week by week. So I suspect you can improve at any age. Though turnaround probably varies a lot.

First about 3 sessions made a huge difference. Came out pretty energised from the classes, and with core switched on, so it changed my posture riding home. Recreating that feeling every time I remember to on a ride has helped between classes. I cycle to work, and don't drive so that's at least 12 rides per week on average. Typical week is about 12-15 hours on the bike.

Since then got a pre ride upper body workout that I use before planned long rides to make sure core is working from start, and using some of the leg stretches post ride to counter muscle shortening.

So 6 months is quite a long time if you think I do 1 class and a dozen or more mini sessions per week. And I still do get some discomfort after long rides, though the time before getting uncomfortable is getting longer. Plus I have barely dipped in mileage over winter, I'm over 3000 miles this calendar year as of today.

1 thing to watch out for is cramp. I get foot cramp from the exercises quite often, which I think is related to riding. Bananas and milk before the class seem to offset that.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Classes are much better than DVD's I'm yet to get round to it, but I lad I ride with has had similar success to those mentioned.

0 likes

+1 for a class. I have a couple of DVDs and a real instructor who comes and prods you when you get it wrong makes all the difference. Plus it's a good laugh. Or at least the class I go to is.
From someone who could not get on the drops, I now ride on the drops mainly, I've dropped my stack height, and I get so flat on tri bars my knees are coming right up to my chest. Riding on the drops, I'm not putting my weight through my arms, so I have them bent, and loose, so no more ulna paralysis, and being able to drop my shoulders in, I don't get neck ache any more. All after 6 months of classes. 3 years of using the DVDs did nothing.
One other benefit, my musclature is rather different to the girls, none of whom cycle as much as I do, and we've had to tailor some of the exercises a little. Which my instructor has been brilliant at doing.

Miles253 replied to robdaykin | 9 years ago
0 likes
robdaykin wrote:

+1 for a class. I have a couple of DVDs and a real instructor who comes and prods you when you get it wrong makes all the difference. Plus it's a good laugh. Or at least the class I go to is.
From someone who could not get on the drops, I now ride on the drops mainly, I've dropped my stack height, and I get so flat on tri bars my knees are coming right up to my chest. Riding on the drops, I'm not putting my weight through my arms, so I have them bent, and loose, so no more ulna paralysis, and being able to drop my shoulders in, I don't get neck ache any more. All after 6 months of classes. 3 years of using the DVDs did nothing.
One other benefit, my musclature is rather different to the girls, none of whom cycle as much as I do, and we've had to tailor some of the exercises a little. Which my instructor has been brilliant at doing.

You describe many of the issues I have! *google searches local PIlates classes*

6 months is a great turn around

TheHatter replied to robdaykin | 9 years ago
0 likes

robdaykin - Can I ask how old you are? I'm wondering I can realistically expect this type of improvement or how much of the damage done over the years of inflexibilty is permanent!

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Pilates not just for flexibility but for core strength which will improve your power.
It is something that at the very beginning you'd be best going to classes because some of the moves are quite subtle and an instructor would undoubtedly help, especially if you are inflexible at the moment.

BikeBud | 9 years ago
0 likes

I go to a Pilates class - it means I get an hour's quality exercise once a week and ensures I do the exercises properly. I'd recommend a class.

Pilates is great - i suffer much less from a sore back than i used to, so longer rides on the bike are now much more pleasant! Pilates works your muscles quite hard though, so you'll probably need to do additional stretching!

Latest Comments