Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Simple Poll (where do you live)

I have set up a very simple poll, one answer, no mucking about.

http://poll.pollcode.com/76452983

In a recent news story, it seems that some commenters think that Road.cc should just stick to UK stories and not bother with the rest of the world.

The point in the poll, is to show users are from all over the world and are not just in the UK and interested in UK only stories.

So please be honest about where you live. No data is being taken from you, no sign up, no name or addresses, it is very simple, click on the applicable location and then click vote

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

workhard | 9 years ago
0 likes

I go to the home page and click the links I want to read. If there is a story, forum topic, or whatever, I don't want to read I don't click the link.

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry  26

Simple answers often require complicated questions. As the quote has it "Apologies for the length of this letter, I didn't have time to write a short one."

It's not hard - break down your regions a little more for a start.

Second, establish the reason for them being here:
Do you visit Road.cc mainly for (you could have multiple choices possible, or a ranking):
Cycling news and stories
Reviews and technical information
Forum and debate
Fantasy cycling
None of the above / other

Then (this would ideally only apply to people who had ticked Cycling news option).

"On Road.cc I like to see mainly:
News and stories about cycling in the UK
News and stories about cycling outside of the UK
News and stories about cycling in both the UK and outside the UK."

Or you could just ignore the stupid comments, as clearly the story about the woman suing the family was very much a water-cooler story for most cyclists and it would be utterly ridiculous not to report it here.  105

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

For what its worth, I like being able to read about stuff happening overseas, even if like this case the story is not particularly pleasant.

If on some days I don't feel in the mood to read about this kind of stuff, I don't click on the link.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

ARGH....I just tried to make this simple  102

I am not privy to IP addresses or stats for the site, It would be nice if Dave or Tony made up some sort of graph to so where the users/page views come from. It would then make my poll unnecessary  3

KirinChris | 9 years ago
0 likes

You've got Antarctica but not the Middle East?

Surely the servers in the nuclear bunker beneath Farelly-Atkinson Towers have statistics about the location of IP addresses for site visitors.

Website reporting software should be able to turn it into a pretty chart and everything.

And as someone who works in research I would also add that the question you are asking "Where do you live/stay?" is not the answer to the one you are trying to address "Should Road.cc stick primarily or totally to UK stories." You would be making such a huge assumption you might as well not bother with the poll.

Someone can be not living in the UK but be only or mainly interested in UK stories on Road.cc. For example I go to Cycling Tips but I don't expect to read mainly about French cycling.
Equally it may be that people living in the UK want to read international stories on Road.cc - for all you know it may be why they come here.

I'm not saying that is the case but I am saying that you can't draw a conclusion from a question you didn't ask.

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

I saw UK law doesn't apply here - it's basically the same (we get told what to do a lot, coz we get to borrow your queen), we're just independent from UK parliament. But that's a whole other non cycling blah blah blah blah.  4

mooleur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Done  1 might be worth noting that while some of us might be classed as GB - UK law doesn't apply here, so some articles would be as much use to us as something from Oz.

Personally I think it's good road.cc covers stories worldwide, it's nice to hear things from the global community. That said there is a lot of doom and gloom, maybe counter some of the sad stories with some global articles on happy things too! One good one I've been following with another site recently is the story of the Afghan cycling team, and their newly set up women's team - totally heartwarming. Things like that are lovely to read.  1

Latest Comments