Team Sky....Discuss

by Gkam84   April 27, 2014  

In recent races, They have been shuffling Boswell from race to race and never starting him anywhere.

Today, the "started" with 6 riders, one finished and one didn't even start...

What is going on with them?

70 Nathan Earle
DNF Danny Pate
DNF David Lopez
DNF Josh Edmondson
DNF Ian Boswell
DNF Richie Porte
DNS Chris Froome

Thoughts.....

22 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Man United?

posted by Bokonon [20 posts]
27th April 2014 - 16:52

like this
Like (2)

This isn't going to end well Nerd

posted by Super Domestique [1592 posts]
27th April 2014 - 17:39

like this
Like (2)

Dont know why Froome did not start as for Porte he's been unwell for a while and perhaps its just a leg warmer for him ?

Problem is with Sky is that they have been so succesfull since they launched that when they dont perform everyone assumes that somethings up. Like all teams they will have rough patches as well as smooth and i dont think i can ever recall them doing well in the classics.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2677 posts]
27th April 2014 - 17:39

like this
Like (2)

They are going to win fuck all of any significance this year.
Cant see where any victories (esp GC) are going to come from.

In my opinion.

posted by Some Fella [722 posts]
27th April 2014 - 18:42

like this
Like (3)

Sky was the only team in Liege Bastogne Liege with only a single rider finishing - since they were not in the running it just became a training ride. A bit more respect for the 100th edition of LBL is certainly deserved. Same happened in Flèche Wallonne and Amstel Gold - only two Sky riders finished the race.

posted by Metjas [274 posts]
27th April 2014 - 19:31

like this
Like (4)

The past few weeks you can file under terribly bad luck. Bigger picture they seem a team in transition. To my mind they should have offered Rigoberto Uran whatever he wanted (unto half of Dave Brailsford's kingdom) to sign an extension. For his part, Rigo might just be wondering if he made the right move.

Him Up North's picture

posted by Him Up North [146 posts]
27th April 2014 - 21:04

like this
Like (5)

Him Up North wrote:
The past few weeks you can file under terribly bad luck. Bigger picture they seem a team in transition. To my mind they should have offered Rigoberto Uran whatever he wanted (unto half of Dave Brailsford's kingdom) to sign an extension. For his part, Rigo might just be wondering if he made the right move.

I have to disagree with this. Uran is a man with grand tour GC ambitions, and its clear that Sky have a pecking order where GCs are concerned. Previously it was Wiggins before Froome, now its Froome before Porte. Uran was realistically never going to get a team lead role unless the 'A' rider suffered a miss fortune, much as we saw with Wiggins at the Giro last year. At Omega Pharma Uran gets to be the 'A' rider in grand tours.

posted by giobox [241 posts]
28th April 2014 - 7:28

like this
Like (5)

Perhaps they need more pain killers!

posted by daddyELVIS [384 posts]
28th April 2014 - 8:49

like this
Like (4)

If you hit the deck and take a while to get back on your bike or a replacement then it is worth flogging your guts out to finish a one day event? Team Sky riders must have a more ruthless attitude and drop out when cons outweigh the pros of finishing.

Team Sky have been a grand tour GC team since inception. So the riders have a tight training plan to get them to peak at specific times. Small injuries or over working can throw that training plan out.

Chris Froome has a mild chest infection. So again, getting him fit to stay on training plan and defend TdF is the priority.

posted by Martyn_K [27 posts]
28th April 2014 - 10:54

like this
Like (4)

Has Dombrowski had a look-in on anything this year? Or has he been shelved? Same for Kiryenka.

And has there been any follow-up on Henao / JTL's suspensions...

posted by s_lim [94 posts]
28th April 2014 - 13:31

like this
Like (3)

The only thing Dombrowski has been in this year was the Coppi e Bartali

Sky kinda dominated it, but it was only a four stage plus a TTT race.

Swift won stage 1
Sky won the TTT
Kennaugh won stage 2
Swift was 2nd in stage 3
Cataldo won the ITT

Kennaugh took overall and Swift took the points

But then again, the only other pro level teams were Lampre and Cannondale.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:03

like this
Like (2)

s_lim wrote:
Has Dombrowski had a look-in on anything this year? Or has he been shelved? Same for Kiryenka.

And has there been any follow-up on Henao / JTL's suspensions...

A snippet here on Kiryenka:

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30569_9285765,00.html

posted by Super Domestique [1592 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:09

like this
Like (3)

Dombrowski's left knee has been buggered since the start of the season - that's why he hasnt been racing. They put him into Coppi e Bartali, but it didnt hold up so they had to pull him out halfway through the race.

posted by Sim1 [57 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:27

like this
Like (3)

JTL: his case has been in the hands of UKAD since Dec. UKAD head said at a conference a few weeks ago that a decision might be reached on his case by late May

Henao: he's back in Colombia, training, and being tested regularly at the Coldeportes lab. All the signs are that he's being well-supported by the team. Gave an interview that was published yday in which he said he hoped to be back racing TdS and the Tour

posted by Sim1 [57 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:33

like this
Like (6)

Sim1 thanks for the updates. Very useful.

posted by Super Domestique [1592 posts]
28th April 2014 - 14:39

like this
Like (3)

Sim1 wrote:
Henao: he's back in Colombia, training, and being tested regularly at the Coldeportes lab. All the signs are that he's being well-supported by the team. Gave an interview that was published yday in which he said he hoped to be back racing TdS and the Tour

Good to finally hear some news on the Henao situation. That said, if Sky want us to believe in their clean cycling ambitions they really need to more open. The Henao situation is completely unprecedented in cycling - if Henao hasn't failed a drug test why isn't he loudly complaining in public that the team won't let him race? If he's clean he would have every right to be outraged. Bizzare that a professional racer is happy to be benched when he hasn't broken, or been caught breaking, a single rule of the sport. The cycling press has been far too timid in approaching sky about this. If I was Henao and I was clean I would be going crazy, at the very least considering legal action against the team for preventing me from racing without due cause.

If we accept that Henao was happy to do this, the only plausible explanation is that he failed an internal Sky doping control, and sky are trying to privately deal with the failure without the negative press that comes from failing a real doping control. This whole 'research' thing feels to me a smokescreen for this.

posted by giobox [241 posts]
28th April 2014 - 16:44

like this
Like (2)

The way I see it, Henao is doing this for the benefit of cycling, not just Sky.

He is being monitored by the UCI while taking on different tests at both sea level and altitude to see how his levels compare to "normal" people. I think (not 100%) on this, that they have a test subject, also being tested, that was not born at altitude, so their system for doing things is different.

I don't think it has much to do with him failing any tests or doing any doping. It shows that the UCI are being pro-active.

I don't know if he was picked on purpose or just had more inconsistent levels as can be expected from someone born and raised at altitude.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
28th April 2014 - 17:34

like this
Like (3)

giobox wrote:
Him Up North wrote:
The past few weeks you can file under terribly bad luck. Bigger picture they seem a team in transition. To my mind they should have offered Rigoberto Uran whatever he wanted (unto half of Dave Brailsford's kingdom) to sign an extension. For his part, Rigo might just be wondering if he made the right move.

I have to disagree with this. Uran is a man with grand tour GC ambitions, and its clear that Sky have a pecking order where GCs are concerned. Previously it was Wiggins before Froome, now its Froome before Porte. Uran was realistically never going to get a team lead role unless the 'A' rider suffered a miss fortune, much as we saw with Wiggins at the Giro last year. At Omega Pharma Uran gets to be the 'A' rider in grand tours.

Having looked at the presumptive startlist for the Giro, perhaps I was harsh re. OPQS's Grand Tour ambitions. Re. Uran staying at Sky, I honestly think Porte doesn't have it in him to contend GC in Grand Tours whilst Uran does, and in that respect Sky got their pecking order wrong. No doubt Richie will prove me wrong in July when he's the one being told to slow down for his leader..!

Him Up North's picture

posted by Him Up North [146 posts]
28th April 2014 - 18:20

like this
Like (1)

Gkam84 wrote:
The way I see it, Henao is doing this for the benefit of cycling, not just Sky.

He is being monitored by the UCI while taking on different tests at both sea level and altitude to see how his levels compare to "normal" people. I think (not 100%) on this, that they have a test subject, also being tested, that was not born at altitude, so their system for doing things is different.

I don't think it has much to do with him failing any tests or doing any doping. It shows that the UCI are being pro-active.

I don't know if he was picked on purpose or just had more inconsistent levels as can be expected from someone born and raised at altitude.

The UCI have nothing to do with the decision. It's been entirely taken by Sky management. Yes, Sky have said they will make the findings available to UCI, WADA etc, but the fact remains this is a purely management decision. Again, if Henao is clean, he has every right to be annoyed, especially as Sky are robbing him of the ability to accumulate UCI Points, points that are vital to any kind of career progression should he ever change team.

posted by giobox [241 posts]
28th April 2014 - 19:18

like this
Like (2)

But he says its just part of his job, rather than fuming.

http://road.cc/content/news/117574-sergio-henao-currently-team-skys-acti...

posted by Super Domestique [1592 posts]
28th April 2014 - 19:22

like this
Like (0)

giobox, he's there with Cookson's son...I know he's part of Team Sky and has been for a long time. From what I've heard, Cookson's son is undergoing the same schedule as both the Henao's and is being tested along side them for the differences in values.

It is all being reported back to the UCI through Sky, yes, Sky took the decision to do it all, but it is also helping the UCI with their stuff.

[edit] Just seen the news story, it basically tells you what is happening - some of the other info I've heard from inside the team Wave

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8699 posts]
28th April 2014 - 19:30

like this
Like (1)

Insider news, cool Cool

posted by Super Domestique [1592 posts]
28th April 2014 - 19:32

like this
Like (0)