Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon wheels

Hello all,

I'm looking at upgrading to a set of carbon wheels for he first time. I mainly ride around the Yorkshire Dales and Merseyside, so flats with some hills. The wheel sets I've been looking at are below, any advice is much appreciated.

> Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS (1595g, 52mm)

> FFWD F4R DT 240 (1630g, 38mm)

> FFWD F6R DT 240 (1830g, 58mm)

> Reynolds Assault (1568g, 46mm)

> Fulcrum Red Wind H50 (1755g, 50mm)

> Vision Tri-Max (1420g, 50mm)

> Zipp 60 (1820g, 58mm)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Slide89 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I've narrowed it down to the Fulcrums or the Mavics (I think). Is there much to choose between the two for nearly £200 difference in cost?

Velo-smith | 9 years ago
0 likes

Of the wheels above the biggest consideration is alloy or carbon braking which as you can see affects the weight overall quite a lot. Have you considered a pair of UK hand-built carbon wheels which can be produced with very good quality hubs e.g Hope Mono RS for around £800.

CDK1962 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to appear like a tout, but would you consider a pair of Spin Cycle Works K2 CARBONE SLK50 Hand Built Wide Profile Carbon Clinchers? 24 x 50mm, 1520g, Sapim aero spokes 20F/24R Campag freehub (which can be easily exchanged via Spin). Bought in August last year and have less than 100 dry miles on them. Give me a shout if you're interested and I can sort pictures etc.

Rgds,

Colin

Jonny_Trousers replied to CDK1962 | 9 years ago
0 likes

How much are you looking for for the wheels, Colin?

CDK1962 replied to Jonny_Trousers | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jonny_Trousers wrote:

Hi,

They were £800 new, so around £600 inc post.

Rgds,

Colin

Jonny_Trousers replied to CDK1962 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CDK1962 wrote:
Jonny_Trousers wrote:

Hi,

They were £800 new, so around £600 inc post.

Rgds,

Colin

Thanks for getting back to me, Colin, and sorry for hijacking your thread, Slide.

£600 is over my budget, I'm afraid, Colin. I was looking for a pair of Campag fit
carbon clinchers second-hand for no more than £500, I'm afraid.

Best wishes

Jon

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would certainly consider adding the Reynolds Assault SLG 41mm wheels to that list - a step up from the previous 46mm version.

LawHul | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ride on the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS and highly recommend them, wheels which replace Ksyrium Elite S for the finer days. Also notable that Mavic wheel sets come fitted with tubes & tyres.

glynr36 replied to LawHul | 9 years ago
0 likes
LawHul wrote:

I ride on the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS and highly recommend them, wheels which replace Ksyrium Elite S for the finer days. Also notable that Mavic wheel sets come fitted with tubes & tyres.

Shame the tyres are terrible on them.

Back to the OP, I rate my SLR's and a mate has SLS which he raves about and makes me wish I stumped up the extra cash.

Latest Comments