Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon frame life cycle

Looking to get a towards the upper end of the price range carbon frame/bike as a summer weekend mile muncher.

One thing I'm having trouble quantifying is how long should you expect a cared for carbon frame to last.
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Adrien de la touche | 9 years ago
0 likes

Many of the comments here are based on made-up facts and urban cycling legends. As someone has already mentioned, many modern aircraft are made of CF because it is the lightest material that offers superlative levels of structural integrity.
Anyone suggesting that CF is more likely to fail is quite simply mistaken.

shay cycles replied to Adrien de la touche | 9 years ago
0 likes

Many aircraft structures are indeed made of carbon fibre because of its structural integrity but unlike bicycle frames there is no intention of using them again after a crash.

You can straighten a steel frame after a crash. I like the fact that my steel frame has at least this one particular characteristic that cannot be matched by carbon.

Not made up and not an urban myth.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gordy748 posted:

"Carbon has a fatigue life and, over time, flexes more and more every pedal stroke. Every time this happens, it absorbs (fractionally) more and more watts produced by the rider. For a pro, the point at which the frame is unacceptably flexible will happen a lot sooner than a sportive rider."

sorry, this goes against current technical understanding and material behaviour of composites (which is another reason they are now used in passenger aircraft)

one of the big bonuses of carbon fibre composites is that in normal use (in the design envelope) they do not fatigue (unlike aluminium alloy) and withstanding catastrophic impacts (crashes) or environmental degradation (exposure to UV, road salt, etc. which can be guarded against with good finishing) should easily outlast metallic alloy framesets

of course, this assumes good quality control during manufacturing and no in-built 'design flaws' to the composite design or galvanic corrosion from in-moulded metallic alloy hard points (this is why manufacturers are moving to all carbon frames with carbon dropouts, headset cups and bottom bracket tubes)

Neil753 | 9 years ago
0 likes

There's been some discussion, suggesting that if aircraft are made of carbon then carbon bike frames must be just as safe, so I thought I'd just quote what carbon-bike-check.com say on the subject, over in Germany.

"A plane consists of large, massive components which reinforce and support each other. Most are large machine-made components which help reduce inconsistencies. Each part is checked and tested after assembly as a whole. And that is for example the difference between an Airbus and a bicycle. An Airbus is tested and tested and tested. The aviation standards define exactly what, how and how often a component is to be tested. And for bikes, is there nothing? Actually, there are standards but these apply to Type Testing meaning the design is tested using samples before production but they do not apply to the production itself. They are also not mandatory. "

They also go on to say that "a defect-free frame, fork, stem, etc. does not exist", and that "many failures could have been prevented if testing had been carried out beforehand". Ok, CBC's business is the testing and analysis of composite materials, but it certainly makes sobering reading.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm fairly sure that no one said it would fail....just that it loses its stiffness.

As for aircraft, yes, it's used as an alternative to....aluminium.....which the thread seems to agree has a low stress life.

I'm not against carbon, I have carbon, I use carbon, but I still believe it has a limited life in use in the real world...just as that expensive re-enamel does on steel.

ilovemytinbred | 9 years ago
0 likes

I crashed my carbon TT bike at 25mph. It just sucked it up and Im still racing it 3 years later.

I have carbon forks that are donkeys years old too  1

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some bizarre comments on here - clearly a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

How long will a carbon frame last?

Indefinitely, as long as you don't crash it or leave it exposed to the elements on a permanent basis (this last part strangely, is true of most bike frame materials).

If you feel the urge to crash your bike regularly buy something else but but recognise than nothing can be fixed 'good as new'. What ever you buy don't leave it out in the sun, rain etc - but then if you're looking at high end carbon I'm guessing you weren't intending to?

I have carbon, steel and aluminium. The steel is 20+ years old and weirdly has rusted. The aluminium has unusually failed to snap yet (15 years old) and the carbon is still going strong despite only having paint to act as a sunscreen. I don't have a titanium bike yet, or a beard but who knows, both of those things may be in my future.

Gordy748 replied to hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

sorry, this goes against current technical understanding and material behaviour of composites (which is another reason they are now used in passenger aircraft)

one of the big bonuses of carbon fibre composites is that in normal use (in the design envelope) they do not fatigue (unlike aluminium alloy) and withstanding catastrophic impacts (crashes) or environmental degradation (exposure to UV, road salt, etc. which can be guarded against with good finishing) should easily outlast metallic alloy framesets

Nope, and I talked to the Boeing engineer who worked out how to bond the 787's wings to the fuselage to help me explain better.

The 787's wings are designed to flex within a certain limit (she said about 25 feet at the tips in normal flight, but can tolerate significantly more in rough weather). After that, they fail. A crash will also render the wings inoperable (this is not very surprising).

There's a difference, though, between something that is designed to flex and something that's designed to remain rigid, e.g. a bicycle frame or an oar for rowing. While carbon is a flexible material, the bonding agent (resin) isn't. When a frame flexes, it's because it's been built with less resin at certain points to facilitate movement (say, for vertical compliance to increase comfort). In hundreds or thousands of cycles (pedalling or rowing) the epoxy that keeps the structure rigid is subject to miniscule stresses that gradually break it apart and allows the structure to flex more and more.

So between a 787's wings and a Venge, it's the required stiffness in the bike that causes more stress on the resin and so fatigues the structure quicker. This doesn't make the frame unridable or liable to break at any minute, it just means you won't go as fast on an old bike than you would on a new one.

ilovemytinbred | 9 years ago
0 likes

talking about forks, but you get the idea...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

"I have tested a lot of steel (mostly True Temper brand tubes) and of course carbon (lots of brands) in fatigue tests and also load-to-fail tests. In high fatigue loading, the carbon forks would eventually lose some stiffness (as much as 5 percent) after many thousands of cycles to represent many years of actual riding conditions. So I would not say the forks would last forever at high loading. You don’t hit high loads on most of your rides though … You should get a lifetime of JRA riding (just riding along).

Steel forks did not lose any stiffness in the fatigue tests. They are typically kind of over built so they never got stressed past the endurance limit (about 50 percent of ultimate tensile strength). In load-to-fail tests, the steel forks bend until they crack, or we would stop when the fork had bent more than 10-20 percent (un-useable).”

So there you go. Sleep easier.
— Lennard"

7thGalaxy replied to ilovemytinbred | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think we can draw many conclusions from that, he doesn't give us any idea of what the 'high fatigue loading' was, or any idea what 'many thousands of cycles to represent many years' means - are we talking 20 years? 40?. How close to the limit was it pushed?

Nick T replied to Gordy748 | 9 years ago
0 likes

[quote=Gordy748
So between a 787's wings and a Venge, it's the required stiffness in the bike that causes more stress on the resin and so fatigues the structure quicker. This doesn't make the frame unridable or liable to break at any minute, it just means you won't go as fast on an old bike than you would on a new one.[/quote]

By that logic, the stiffer bicycle frame with more resin would be subject to less flexing of the resin and a longer lifespan than the more flexible, resin-light aeroplane wing.

jellysticks | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sooooooo booooooring  37 can't believe I read all of this.

I say this

Well I say this

But I say this

You're all wrong I say this

Yawn

Pages

Latest Comments