Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Look Keo Blade 2 Help?

After buying some Look Keo Blade 2 pedals I used them for the first time today. My 15 mile ride to work was all ok however my 30 mile hilly ride home was not so good. Whenever I was climbing both in and out the saddle the right pedal/cleat was really clicky. It was almost like a popping noise.

People riding with me thought it was the bike as it was so loud. Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone advise what might be causing it? Before I take them back and risk looking stupid I'd rather try and solve the problem.

As always thanks in advance for your advice

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

craig749 | 9 years ago
0 likes

After another ride I've given up on the pedals! Bought some Dura Ace pedals which are brilliant and more importantly don't squeak or click!

Thanks for all your feedback/advice  1

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Keo's always creak. Just have to live with it!

Miles253 replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

It was so annoying I couldn't live with it, plus when you buy something I kind of expected it to work. So I switched to Time  1

glynr36 replied to Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Miles253 wrote:
glynr36 wrote:

It was so annoying I couldn't live with it, plus when you buy something I kind of expected it to work. So I switched to Time  1

It's not that it doesn't work, I can't fault the sets I have.
Just creak and squeak, I found its worse then the pedal/cleat are dirty or the cleats are wearing too much.

Martin Rosén-Lidholm replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bought 16 Nm Blade 2 for me and 12 Nm for the Mrs.

The Mrs doesn't ride as much as me, but they squeak.

My pair squeak like h*ll! I've tried everything. Have even taken them apart and lubed them three times.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the cleats, as suggested all over the Internet.

Miles253 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a pair of Looks, from new they squeaked, annoying too as I liked them. Used both the rubber cleats and non rubber

Charliegr555 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar problem try increasing the force required to release just a bit (make sure you can still get out of them though)

surly_by_name replied to Charliegr555 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Charliegr555 wrote:

I had a similar problem try increasing the force required to release just a bit (make sure you can still get out of them though)

Are you sure? I didn't think you could change the release tension on a Keo blade without changing the carbon "blade", which is why they sell them in 12nm and 16nm versions?

My blades got very noisy a couple of months ago. (Through trial and error I narrowed noise down to pedla - initially I thought it was BB.) Removed cleat from shoe and then threw away the little rubber bumper in the middle of the cleat. No noise.

centurion48 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Same happened to me on the past two rides. Very annoying because it is quite loud and quite unlike normal squeaks and rattles. My cleats are also tightly secured. Will try Nick T's advice tomorrow.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

with speedplay you'll be cleaning and lubing
more often .... I know  1

Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lubricate the metal plate with your chain oil. It's the rubber cap in the middle of the cleat rubbing against the pedal as you float, happens on Looks all the time. Pedal and cleat cleaning should be part of your regular maintenance anyway, so drop a bit of lube on every time you do your chain.

craig749 replied to Nick T | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's great Nick, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Hopefully that will do the job. Maybe this is a sign that I should have bought Speedplays!

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Are you 100% sure the cleat is secure on the shoe?

craig749 replied to Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes the cleat is as tight as I can get it.

Latest Comments