Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling in Derby

Will be moving up to Derby come June, and was wondering what the riding was like up there?

Any recommendations on clubs or routes or LBS much appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

tomawest | 9 years ago
0 likes

I used to work near derby before I started riding. A lot of people used to cycle to work and used to comment on how good it was. For reference it was near Belper at a town called Hazelwood. It was really common to see cyclists round the amber valley and I know the people that cycled there did so from the south end of the city so I reckon the cycling aint that bad.

To be fair, Derby is a pretty good city and I would go back again if I could.

divingrob | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you know where abouts in Derby you are moving too?

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

For context, where are you moving from? You'll find some awesome countryside for riding.

rabeynon replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Coming up from Bath, so pretty hard to beat riding wise!

rabeynon | 9 years ago
0 likes

and is there much of a race scene?

Steveal | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 on shops above from my experience. There are also a few other established ones and a couple of new ones popped up relatively recently... One on London Road near the old hospital, and another at the Asda island at Spondon. Not used these though.
Mercury are the big club.
Rides... there are plenty of hills heading out of derby, especially north and plenty of country lanes.
Cycle Derby website has some pointers on it. The velodrome is due to open towards the end of the year. There is a sportive setting off from it in September. Quite a few peak district sportives too. Hope this helps and welcome in advance!

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Peak District is on our door step...Nuff said.

Cadence sport: Barton-under-Needwood, run by Adrian Timmis former tour rider and all round good egg

Buzz cycles Belper.

Both proper LBS

Samways is shite unless you are buying the Xmas bike or mamil related articles.

Drop me a line when you move.

isbfan | 9 years ago
0 likes

lbs - Mercian - good enough? Samways isn't bad but the staff are not helpful IMHO. There's an independent -The Bike Shop on (I think) Monk Street which I use the most. All a matter of personal preference of course.

Derby Mercury are the long established club in town. I'm not a member (wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member).

If I can be of more help, just ask

Latest Comments