Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Bags

Does anyone have any advice on bike bags / boxes? I have previously hired bikes when overseas on holiday but I am travelling with my own, new steed for a couple of weeks in May. I could hire a solid bike box for c.£100+ for a local bike shop but wondered if it might be more economical in the longer-term to buy my own.

Any pearls of wisdom or suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated. Ideally something which isn't going to break the bank but not break my bike either...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

100 quid for two weeks rental might be on the high side. I have one from bikeboxalan.co.uk and they are borderline indestructible. If you don't want to buy rental from the site is only 70 quid for a fortnight.

AndreasHolden | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Sea Biscuit on this one. EVOC bag is a really good bit of kit that'll roll up out of the way in a couple of mins once you take out the brace bars (30 second job, honest). Used it for two trips now and really impressed.

However, if money is tight.... For years I used a Ground Effect 'body bag'

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/BAG/BOD/

Did as they said and lined with cardboard for long trips, flew my Stumpjumper to Spain, NZ, Australia, Tenerife, loads of places and when I had a job that saw me travelling around the country by train used it for that too. Bought it around 2000 I think. Still going strong. Only reason I bought the EVOC was to give more protection to my rather gorgeous Roubaix. With care packing though the Bodybag would have done, just can be a little more blase using the EVOC....

sea_biscuit | 9 years ago
0 likes

i bought a red EVOC - £180-250 quid or so and can recommend as far as the soft ones go. i could have hired one at £50 quid, but i know in the long run i'll use it for more 4-5 times. Well made, good protection, easy to use. whats not to like

davebinks | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have used a soft bag for years, but slipped some polycarbonate sheets down inside to effectively make it a sandwich with the bike as the filling. However, this did leave the ends a bit exposed, and I did have to take both wheels and lots of other stuff off to get it in.
I have now twice used one of the cardboard boxes that are used by the manufacturer to deliver the bike to the shop. Much easier and also give more protection.
I only have to take the front wheel out and unbolt pedals and bars and there is a bit of room for other small items. And it was FREE!

Used it twice and it's now getting a bit scuffed, so will get another new one the next time I fly.

Beware the weight of some boxes - they can double the weight and take you over the weight limit even for sporting goods! I see the Wiggle one mentioned by Martin Thomas weighs 11kg empty.

Martin Thomas | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hired one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/biknd-helium-bicycle-travel-case-2014/ when I flew to France for an Alps trip last year. Highly recommended, if a little pricey. Its biggest benefit was that it folded down when not in use so I could stick it in the back of a car alongside the bike when not in use (wouldn't have been possible with a solid bag). Overall, it did the job very well.

Latest Comments