Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help pls

Hi all,

Only been biking since May last yr. I'm currently riding a second hand GT Aggressor Mtb on the road and commuting 85 miles a week.

What I'm looking to do is get a road bike for speed and hopefully more enjoyment out of cycling on the road.

Thinking of getting a road bike through the ride2work scheme which we can do through Evans cycles.

would I really notice any difference between something like;
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/tarmac-sl4-2014-road-bik...

as opposed to something like either a carrera at £300 ish out my own pocket from halfords or a cannondale from Evans at £649, having never riding a road bike before?

Need some help as I have to say I do fancy the specialized but would I actually need to spend that much? The roads I bike on aren't the best but not bad.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Steveal | 9 years ago
0 likes

Meant to add... You should be able to get the above plus much better kit (105 instead of Sora) for £1k if you go for an aluminium frame over carbon.

Steveal | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd look around and maybe get some advice from a lbs instead of just Evans. If its just commuting then rack and mud guard mounts will probably be useful. Also think of gearing if your routes are hilly... the cassette looks ok, but the big and little chain rings are maybe a little racy if your route is hilly and you are used to a mtb.

Latest Comments