Summer Cycling Madness

by Shades   April 14, 2014  

The weather's picked up and the number of people out on their bikes has, naturally, increased. Good! When I see someone struggling along with under-inflated tyres and a squeeking chain I feel like stopping them to offer some tips, but then, hey, they're probably happy. The only thing I've noticed this year is the madness of some cycists! There's always the curb huggers, but then they usually stay pretty safe. I've seen some crazy red light jumping, zebra crossing pedestrian weaving, reckless cycle path overtaking and, when I was out in the car, saw a cyclist ahead who was starting to look around. I thought to myself, 'you want to shift lanes', and, sure enough, out came the hand and a Geronimo! style manoeuvre was initiated. The best one was 2 girls trying to take a short cut around a one way system. After a lot of hysterical laughing and nearly coming to grief with a taxi they hopped onto the pavement. In all these situations the Darwin Award was only kept in the drawer by an observant, and tolerant, motorist, although you could see the 'bloody cyclist' look in their eyes. Not helpful and not a lot you can do but, sadly, it will probably just up the number of cycle hating motorists who wind us all up.

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

"when I was out in the car, saw a cyclist ahead who was starting to look around. I thought to myself, 'you want to shift lanes', and, sure enough, out came the hand and a Geronimo! style manoeuvre was initiated."

I don't understand what he did wrong here? And whats a Geronimo! style manoeuvre?

I tend to agree with the gist of what your saying though, the nice spring weather brings many cyclists out of winter hibernation.

posted by Scoob_84 [258 posts]
14th April 2014 - 9:27

2 Likes

Imagine the point is - and you see this way too often - that the cyclist basically signalled at the same time he pulled out. Making the signal pretty redundant.

On my bike commute in, often observe the same thing. About to overtake a slower cyclist, then I see them slow a bit, and I think - you're about to turn right, aren't you? Sure enough, out comes a half-hearted wave of the right hand at the same time they pull out.

Message to cyclists - signal *before* you carry out the manoeuvre, not while you're doing it...

posted by T_Hawes [9 posts]
14th April 2014 - 9:44

3 Likes

I was out yesterday and was going past a group on the curb when suddenly the lead biker without any consideration to anything or anybody else (in a world of his own) just jumped the curb onto the road. Thankfully, i was prepared oh and not a car!

posted by SB76 [93 posts]
14th April 2014 - 12:03

1 Like

SB76 wrote:
I was out yesterday and was going past a group on the curb when suddenly the lead biker without any consideration to anything or anybody else (in a world of his own) just jumped the curb onto the road. Thankfully, i was prepared oh and not a car!

I saw that yesterday too - on Eurosport; were you in Paris Roubaix, your name's not Cancellara is it?

posted by Jonathan Knight [16 posts]
14th April 2014 - 12:08

0 Likes

I wish

posted by SB76 [93 posts]
14th April 2014 - 12:12

0 Likes