Road rides in the Cairngorms

by Chuck   April 11, 2014  

I might find myself around the Cairngorms NP for a few days in late May, and was thinking of taking the bike along. Anyone recommend any good circular routes? Is it all A roads in the valleys or are there any nice passes?

I'm thinking of 100km at least, while 150km is probably about the top end. I don't mind long climbs but the steep ones not so much.

3 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Which part of the CNP? That is where I live, but its a MASSIVE place...both sides of the hill

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8681 posts]
11th April 2014 - 20:49

like this
Like (1)

I was thinking of basing myself in Braemar.

posted by Chuck [355 posts]
11th April 2014 - 21:03

like this
Like (1)

Just 15 miles up the road from me, plenty of cycling around here, do you like hills?

You can get easily to both Glenshee and The Lecht from there, its on your doorstep.

Other than that, you can head towards Aberdeen and use some of the main and back rounds to construct a round trip. Its pretty quite with traffic out here, so all the roads are ok to use.

If you are not a fan of hills, have a look at something called The Deeside Way. Its the old railway line that used to run from Aberdeen to Ballater. Its nice and flat in most places and it is all either hard compacted or tarred.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8681 posts]
11th April 2014 - 21:50

like this
Like (3)