Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al País Vasco Scores

You may log on today and notice that you have some extra points appearing in your team.

Before everyone starts to panic, I managed to track down the youth competition standing and have now put them into the scores.

Even after the update, the stage winners and their scores still stay exactly the same. None of you had any young riders in there, which is not surprising, because there are only 9 young riders in the race.  26

Stage 1 Twybaydos 165

Stage 2 Wildcard 156

Stage 3 Drantley Gicks 155

Stage 4 after_rain 165
Stage 4 Ben Phippen 165

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

Last year we had the following conversation:

Gkam84 wrote:

The points are purely for the finish line and as such will not be scored.

enrique wrote:

Why is that? If it has its own classification in the race I think you should honor it in the game scoring, too.

drheaton wrote:

We never score all the different classifications because some races have... a separate sprint comp for one sprint each day, it just gets silly with some races.

Well, just checked the scoring for Pais Vasco and was surprised to see both the Sprints jersey and the Points jersey will be scored. Nice!  1

Now, what about the Youth Competition? I see it's not in the scoring info and I can't see one announced in the PV site. And, I think neither cyclingnews nor PCS reported one for last year's race, but Gkam says above that he managed to track down the youth standings for this race...

Gkam84 wrote:

I managed to track down the youth competition standing and have now put them into the scores.

I'm not for or against having or not having the Youth Classification, unless we can absolutely confirm one exists, but, G, I'm wondering where those standings you reported you found last year came from? Do you remember where you got them from? The UCI?  39 Just wondering...

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You'll notice they are reporting the points competition only though, they are not doing the sprints. The competitions for Pais Vasco, as set out by the UCI are.

General
Sprint
Youth
Team time

I am scoring everything, bar the points which are just for finish line and team time, which we do not score in any competition, instead this is replaced by bonuses for the winning riders team.

I don't know if you 'get' this, but the fact that that 'they' are 'calling' the Points Competition the 'Points' Competition, is, in my mind compelling enough to use that classification as the one to award the points relevant to the game.

I also think that reporting the 'Points' Competition and not the 'Sprints' Competition, also makes me think that the the 'Points' competition is of more consequence than the 'Sprints' competition, therefore, my logic that the one the game award points for be the 'Points' Competition. For consistency's sake, that is why I point out we should be awarding the points from that classification to the game.

The points awarded to the Sprints are, in the actual race, less than the ones awarded to the Finish Line points, so it stands to reason that Finish Line points are more 'valued' than Sprint Points. The fact that the game also refers to the points to be awarded to be from the Points Classification should, in my mind, also lead anyone to believe that the competition that reflects the points and whose standings should be used to award the points should be, what else, but the 'Points' competition?

Be it is as it may, again, you have excercised your discretion. I understand that. I just think it makes more sense to do otherwise. Next year.

Gkam84 wrote:

I managed to track down the youth competition standing and have now put them into the scores.

As well as with this classification. Do it next year. If you started the competition without it, well, I agree with Twy:

Twybaydos wrote:

A bit late to make this change... I recommend youth scores are not counted for this competition

Be consistent and finish the competition without the points for that classification. People built their teams from the beginning with this consideration and I think it's unfair to basically make available a whole classification's points once teams have been set up with the premise that that classification's points were not going to be awarded, especially when you announce this more than midway through the race. Not that I think we shouldn't award the points for the Youth Classification. I'd be all for it if it had been so since the beginning, but I don't think it's fair to throw this wrinkle in with just one stage remaning.

If it's all the same, then I'd rather ignore those points than have someone indvertantly benefit from an oversight in the game rather than a planned srategy. I think it skews things now and the proper thing to do would be to ignore that classification, remove those points and continue the competition.

I'm pretty sure that had you posted that you found the classification and asked people if they think the classification should now be included, most players would opt to finish the competition without it, since the vast majority of the people set up their teams without taking that classification into account.

Oh, by the way

Gkam84 wrote:

NO....

you sound so manly when you respond so firmly!  3

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Here is the information, that is listed on the fantasy game, notice the inclusion of the young rider parts....It has been updated from stage 1, so it is not a new introduction and has been back dated to include all stages.

Information on scoring

This stage will be scored on the following criteria:
Finish line: Points awarded for the first 20 riders over the line in a race or stage
Points competition (stage): Points awarded for position in an intermediate sprint competiton. See scoring notes for details on scoring for this competition.
Mountains competition (stage): Points awarded for points accrued in the climber's classification. Does not include mountaintop stage finishes. See scoring notes for details on scoring for this competition.
GC (Tour): Points awarded for a top ten position in the GC of a Tour at the end of a stage. 10 points for first down to 1 point for 10th
Points competition (Tour): Points awarded for overall standing in the points competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th
Mountains competition (Tour): Points awarded for overall standing in the mountains competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th
Young rider competition (Tour): Points awarded for overall standing in the young rider competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th
Last rider home: 10 points awarded for the last rider home on a tour stage or one-day race
Most combative rider: 10 points awarded to the rider adjuged the most combative by the race commissaires
Team bonus: 5 points to every participating rider in the winning rider's team
Scoring notes for this competition

Finish line points
35, 30, 25, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
KOM points
The number of scoring riders on a KOM climb is the maximum number of points available. So if five riders score, the first rider will receive 5 points down to 1 point for the fifth rider
Sprint points
6, 4, 2 points for the first three riders on any intermediate sprint
Youth jersey
The young rider competition will be scored if information is available

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Intermediate sprints and the sprints classification are scored. Kwiat is not part of the young riders classification and if you set up your purist without thinking about young riders, that is down to you. The young riders was always going to be included in the scores, as was set out in the information on scoring .

The 9 riders look like this

1 Simon YATES GBR OGE 22 16:35:12
2 Daan OLIVIER NED GIA 22 +4:27
3 Sebastian HENAO GOMEZ COL SKY 21 +19:49
4 Carlos VERONA QUINTANILLA ESP OPQ 22 +30:53
5 Jan POLANC SLO LAM 22 +34:12
6 Bob JUNGELS LUX TFR 22 +35:13
7 Adam YATES GBR OGE 22 +39:48
8 Joshua EDMONDSON GBR SKY 22 +53:21
9 Alberto BETTIOL ITA CAN 21 +55:10

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

A bit late to make this change. A lot of people have either Kwiat or Valverde and that decision was be made on the merits of each rider not considering any youth points which Kwiat gets. Purist teams were set up on basis there was not a youth comptetition

You are not recognising the points competition, nor the classification of the intermediate sprints, both of which are shown on the official website. The youth competition is not shown on the website http://www.itzulia.net/en/2014/04/10/results

I recommend youth scores are not counted for this competition

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Who are the 9 riders and what are the current standings please?  1

Latest Comments