Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2014 Boardman CX Team... Does it do what it says on the tin?

Okay... Having decided pretty much within minutes of the launch of the 2014 range of Boardmans that the CX team was the next Cycle2Work commuter bike for me, the time has come to put the thought into action... Nearly.

So... for those that have bought one, what do you think?
Is it the great all-rounder it promised to be?
Is it the perfect fast commuter?
Are there any parts that need swapped out immediately?
Are those wheels truly crap?

and... most importantly...how did you get round the mudguard issue at the front? I think I have a couple of viable solutions, but these, like my assessment of the bike itself, are purely on paper at the moment.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

49 comments

Malc Wiffin | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, that's a typo. Should be Nearside looks good  22

Malc Wiffin | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes. Thanks for that. Seems to be the way to go short of spending twice as much for complete wheel. Even if replaced the freehub still got a dodgy nondescript hub and drive side looks sad even tho nearsighted is good.
Cheers Jack.

Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
0 likes

If the bearings were rusted out, the bearing races are probably toast too. These hubs are disposable items and although "serviceable" will probably be shagged way in advance of your first "I'm going to check and service that hub tomorrow" thought... The reason being that the seals seem to be purely cosmetic.

The good news is that you can swap in a Shimano xt hub and reuse the rim and spokes. Either diy it or get a wheelbuilder to put it together. Total cost of doing this will be 50-60 quid and give you a better wheel than the one you started with.

newtonuk replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

The good news is that you can swap in a Shimano xt hub and reuse the rim and spokes. Either diy it or get a wheelbuilder to put it together. Total cost of doing this will be 50-60 quid and give you a better wheel than the one you started with.

This sounds like a good solution, as I understand it the rims aren't "bad", but the hubs are disposable, just like the BB5s as I've recently discovered.

Is the XT hub directly replaceable? Does it have the same measurements and whatever as the Formula hub?

newtonuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

When I bought mine it was advertised as being fully mudguard compatible, but neither Boardman nor Halfords were able to supply a mudguard that fit. I stayed in touch with both since October 2013 about it and eventually they released an updated fork.

The solution I used until now was the bolt on Elite bottle cage mounts wrapped around the fork leg. It got me through two winters with SKS Chromoplastics.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

@ Newtonuk...

How did you go about getting the forks upgraded and how much did they charge you?

GrahamF | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Boardman Team Cx 2014 since it first came out. First thing I did was to remove the extra brake levers. I solved the front mudguard problem by using a set of race blade mounts rubber banded to the forks. The guards themselves are sks things with stainless stays. I had issues with paint in the threads which I had to remove with a tap. The BB is poor, maybe something to do with the bike being used as a commuter and CX racer. The freehub is rubbish (bearing surface is cheap and soft in the body), I ended up rebuilding the wheel with a shimano mtb hub instead. BB5s are adequate for what I need, may upgrade in the future when they need repadding. Plan to replace the BB with a Rotor BB30 to 24 converter. Overall happy with the bike for a commuter/racer/winter trainer.

Malc Wiffin replied to GrahamF | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi.
I have free hub that needs replacing or servicing as rear cassette rocks badly and throws chain off front mech. Bearings on drive side were rusted out after 1500 miles and replaced with loads of grease. When stripped wheel for free hub problem the grease on drive side was dirty brown , but near side was fresh. Can only assume water was coming out of free hub??
Anyway my problem is I cannot undo the free hub bolt as cannot find a tool to fit it. It is not an Allen key, but it is splined.
Tried workshop at work wit loads of tools, also Halfords, waste of time.
Am now at point of buying new wheel but am reluctant to do so.
Any ideas on removal please as am getting desperate.
HELP.
CHEERS.

CXR94Di2 replied to Malc Wiffin | 8 years ago
0 likes
Malc Wiffin wrote:

Hi.
I have free hub that needs replacing or servicing as rear cassette rocks badly and throws chain off front mech. Bearings on drive side were rusted out after 1500 miles and replaced with loads of grease. When stripped wheel for free hub problem the grease on drive side was dirty brown , but near side was fresh. Can only assume water was coming out of free hub??
Anyway my problem is I cannot undo the free hub bolt as cannot find a tool to fit it. It is not an Allen key, but it is splined.
Tried workshop at work wit loads of tools, also Halfords, waste of time.
Am now at point of buying new wheel but am reluctant to do so.
Any ideas on removal please as am getting desperate.
HELP.
CHEERS.

Generally Boardman use Formula hubs
see here http://www.formulahubs.com/products.php?sid=22
then research how to dismantle. Some require the end caps removing to get access to the nuts, but check first

Malc Wiffin replied to Malc Wiffin | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have now been to LBS and they removed freehub without much bother. It's an 11 mm Allen key thread which is unusual.
Next problem is to locate another similar freehub. No makings on hub or freehub making the whole. Ensemble very non descript

Puglet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers,
I didn't know they had produced a new fork, i'll see if I can get it changed  1

newtonuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just had my forks upgraded to the new version which has mudguard eyelets halfway up the fork legs.

If you haven't used it I'd look to take it back and get them to order you one from the warehouse, which should have the new forks on.

Puglet | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've just got a CX Team on a bike to work scheme, has anyone resolved the front mudguard issue, finding which one fits the best, I like the idea of the Elite bottle cage clips only which guards did you use with them?
I chose this bike so as I can use it for occasional cross rides too, without mudguards, you've got to get grubby sometimes only not on the way to work!

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do any of you actually look after your bikes?

jollygoodvelo replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

I do, but the BB click, infinitely adjustable brakes and somewhat vague front mech are 'they all do that sir' items.

BrokenBootneck replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I normally clean my cx twice a week in winter, I have on it my stand and check everything all the time. If I was to draw one positive from all the issue I've had, it's that I am a much better bike mechanic than I was.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

Yes. I do.

Do you ride a bike every day regardless of the weather or road conditions?

My CX is in use 5 days a week and is my normal mode of transport. The issues I have with mine are down to poor component quality or inferior setup at the manufacturer/retailer.

At 2100 miles, all I should be replacing is a chain (which I did at 1800)

glynr36 replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:
glynr36 wrote:

Yes. I do.

Do you ride a bike every day regardless of the weather or road conditions

My CX is in use 5 days a week and is my normal mode of transport. The issues I have with mine are down to poor component quality or inferior setup at the manufacturer/retailer.

I do as well, 5 day a week commute.
Poor component quality, you get what you pay it's a £1k bike, that you're riding day in day out. Stuff will fail. Especially if you're not giving it the attention it needs.
My commuter gets more attention than my race bike, because it's the one I depend upon on a daily basis.

0 likes

Very true words bollandinho!

My CX got a new front mech after two days (more of a preventative measure), the Interrupters came off and the bar tape replaced. The BB bearings were removed and greased to stop the infernal click that started after one week.

Things were fine for about 6 months, until last week...

Back brake froze solid due to water ingress
Front brake adjuster bolt disintegrated
Big chainring sharktoothed after 2100 miles

To be fair these are component issues that are not entirely un expected as I have found FSA chainrings to be very soft and have seen many complaints about BB5 brakes.

They brakes are going in the bin now.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My Boardman has been great, I didn't get it from Halfords though. I can't think if any type of bike which matches a cyclocross for versatility, large tyre options, mudguard mount capable road or sportive bike.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My Boardman has been great, I didn't get it from Halfords though. I can't think if any type of bike which matches a cyclocross for versatility, large tyre options, mudguard mount capable road or sportive bike.

shay cycles replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe a touring bike, especially a modern one with discs, essentially does everything a CX can do but has the extras such as racks and guards better catered for. Take those off and stick CX tyres on and essentially you have a CX bike. (Touring does not necessarily equal heavy and CX does not necessarily equal light).

It might be the case that a CX is set up with a more aggressive riding position than most tourers but that's generally just a matter of frame size and adjustments.

That said I used an old Dawes sports bike for everything TT, Road Race, converted for track, grass track, cyclo-cross, touring and commuting. I think most bikes are more versatile than many of us think. I even rode a couple of cross races on a Raleigh Pro (although I fell off a couple of times due to the 23mm road tyres, the side pull campag brakes were fine though!).

bollandinho | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had nightmares with my 2012 Boardman CX Team. The crank came off and after some light threats about head office and trading standards it was replaced with a brand new bike that the head of cycling at the branch built up personally.

It was still built up terribly, but at that point I gave up on Halfords entirely. I took it to a proper bike shop and got it fixed up (Billy Bilsland's in Glasgow) and it became an amazing bike.

Replacing the rubbish front mech with a SRAM Force one made it a much better bike, and I love it a winter road bike and all year commuter.

I also replaced the Avid BB5 brakes, but that was more frustration at adjusting them than true necessity.

tl;dr Great bike but don't let anyone in black & orange anywhere near it with a spanner.

jollygoodvelo replied to bollandinho | 9 years ago
0 likes
bollandinho wrote:

I also replaced the Avid BB5 brakes, but that was more frustration at adjusting them than true necessity.

What did you replace the brakes with? Thinking of doing some tinkering with mine because I'm sick of faffing with the BB5s (as I have been for the whole 18 months I've had it).

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like you're really unlucky or really hard on bikes!

BrokenBootneck | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok where do I start. 8 months in....................2 sets of cranks as they kept falling off, 3 Bottom brackets plus 2 sets of bearings, front mech bowed out and has been replaced with a Sram rival, front shifter broke, 2 free hubs only 4 weeks apart and the rear mech doesn't sit as straight as it should straight . I am now on first name terms with the staff at my local halfords. When it works its great, it just doesn't work that well very often.

antigee | 9 years ago
0 likes

VeleoPeo wrote "Point of order - the Spyres are fully cable actuated, it's the HyRd that are cable to hydraulic on the brake mount. Running the HyRd on my Crosslight Pro 6 and they're bloody excellent - well worth the extra outlay."

and is completely correct I had confused the spyres with the HyRd's  2

http://road.cc/content/review/85499-trp-hyrd-mechanical-interface-hydrau...

0 likes

Back to Halfords today to swap bike for non-cracked replacement.

Bike wasn't as built as much as I expected, having called them yesterday, but they had to swap rack, guards and pedals, so a few extra minutes wasn't an issue.

Noticed a little glob of rubber under the headset as they were finishing off and thought "here we go again"...

Gave the bike a thorough once over and noted a few small bubbles in the paint... then I checked the headset...

First I see a couple of small dings on the top surface of the headtube. Steering felt quite tight, so loosened topcap... it wasn't tight, so I tightened it back up to 5nm torque and turned the bars... chunks of ground up headset seal fell out of the bottom!!!

Turns out the dings in the headtube resulted in something like a grater on the inside. It was this that was destroying the headset.

Halfords very kindly paid for my taxi home. Their customer service has been excellent. Shame that Boardmans QC is so bad.

Prior to this I have highly recommended Boardman... this experience is changing that.

I now need to finish repairing my very bashed hybrid so that I have transport tomorrow.

0 likes

Even though it's going back, here are my first impressions following the ferry run and the first commute:

Harsh but responsive ride
Accelerates well
Brakes not so well
Bar tape crap
Wheels needed 2 minutes in the jig of truth
Front mech poor shifting
Strange front brake cable routing. Comes right to left BEHIND the fork?
Interrupter levers too close to centre line for comfortably safe use

This is however a very good bike for the money. Some of the issues above are build related and others are a function of me having not ridden for seven weeks and still being in recovery after crashing.

When I swap this one for the non-cracked replacement it will quickly lose the Interrupters and gain an Ultegra FD and probably acquire better brakes fairly soon after that.

newtonuk | 9 years ago
0 likes

Terrible! I must admit, I emailed them every week for several weeks before I got a response.

Pages

Latest Comments