Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best Cycling kit?

hi,

i am looking to get some new kit just a short sleeve jersey and some bibbed shorts.

anyone got any good suggestions/past experience with kit.

i currently have some cheap (but very good) DHB kit i use for commenting and wanted to get something new and better comfort wise.

anyone have any suggestions - i know most kit is personal preference but i just wanted to get an idea of what people have found good.

cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

MrC | 9 years ago
0 likes

My favourites out of my gear:
Autumn/Spring (and quite a bit of summer..) SS jerseys- Torm
Hot weather SS Jersey - Endura/Sugoi
roubaix bib shorts - dhb (but then I only have dhb...)
Normal Bib shorts - Mavic
Bib Tights - dhb
Long sleeve jersey - Endura Roubaix
arm warmers - dhb
knee warmers - dhb
base layers - helly hansen
Cold weather gloves - gore soft shell
gilet - sportful
jacket - haven't really found a favourite. prefer a gilet, but that's just me...
sunglasses - salice

Swami Dave | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Torm jerseys, Sportful bibs and Nanoflex/No Rain. If you're not keen on screamy Castelli logos then Sportful is exactly the same gear at a lower price. That said, the Castelli Free Aero bibs are supremely comfy. Sugoi's bibs are also very comfy but size up on the large side.

Parkrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do try out Santini bib. Have 2 of them and ever since I bought those, I have never turned to my older bibs, F2P and some other China bibs. Jersey wise imo it's all the same for me

themartincox | 9 years ago
0 likes

If it fits and is affordable then it's generally a good bet.

There are very few 'bad' clothing firms these days, so its really down to fit and price.

good luck!

EvansYelhsa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Le Col make really comfortable shorts which I got at the end of last season. The new sport shorts look really good, with a slightly different design and I believe an upgraded chamois.

The pro jersey is really nice as well. Very well made and comfy. And the new sport jersey is a slightly odd design but I'm told is very comfy. Plus its a british brand

s_lim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Our club recently moved to Bioracer for kit - shorts are comfortable and look great

KOShea20 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have just recently purchased the below, they are great, comfy and such a great price.

These 2 together are such a great outfit and designed by the FDJ team.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/aerofit-ss-jersey-900-blk-red-id_8296118.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/aerofit-900-cyc-shorts-blk-red-id_8298208.html

PJ McNally | 9 years ago
0 likes

zipvit kit is 25% off now, use code ZVKIT at checkout!

(i just like their kit).

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you are only getting one top-of-the-line jersey, I would highly recommend a Merino wool cycling-specific jersey. I have 2 Icebreakers but I like the look (and price) of the Torm's mentioned in an earlier post.

I used to reserve mine for commuting but last year I made it my standard kit for all but the hottest (>30C) days. The comfort and thermal/moisture balance can't be beat by a synthetic. The newer knits fit like everyday cycling jerseys should.

And the best feature is you can wear them for multiple rides between washings...just hang them to air dry...which saves money and they last longer. I do mine once a month (> 20 hours of riding).

longtimejones | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Giordana bibs - Fusion or Silverline is great for sportive activities.
+1 for Castelli jersey.

chris75018 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sportful all the way for me - good quality, very good pads in the shorts / tights and not barmy at cost. I also have a Torm jersey which is great quality and as mentioned above sensibly priced compared to other "Sportwool" / Merino brands

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

try on different stuff from brands that you like on, find the best fit and stick to that brand forever, eventually you will find what items fit best from each brand.

TheHound | 9 years ago
0 likes

Castelli for me. Just size up from whatever DHB gear you have and remember Castelli are race fit so it will always be snug.

I got the Body Paint shorts in the end of season clearance recently for £105, down from £175.

The Gabba and Nanoflex stuff is awesome too.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Castelli, you can find bargains on Ebay, the fit is superb once you get your sizing right.

+1 for Giordana, their FR-C jersey is just amazing for cold days that might rain.

And don't forget Decathlon, they make good stuff for peanuts for city riding and touring.

Stratman | 9 years ago
0 likes

My wife and I have both become castelli fans. The Gabba has been fantastic, worn throughout winter with a merino baselayer, sorpasso bibs (the pad is excellent, the same as the body paint shorts that I wore for London to Paris 21 hours in the saddle over 2days)

Not cheap though, although end of season bargains can be found

NickK123 | 9 years ago
0 likes

For a cheaper take on Rapha, try Torm. Have a great, well made jersey, at a third of the price!

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

From my recent experience:

For bibs, both long and short, I love the higher end Giordana stuff. The cheaper end can be a bit thin. Castelli also make great shorts.

Jerseys-wise I like Torm and Castelli depending on where in the world or what time of year it is.

Some of my favourite stuff though is Campagnolo and a brand called Oneten neither of which are available any longer.

S13SFC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fan of Pearl Izumi. The sizing is spot on for me and the bib tights, 3/4s and bib shorts are comfy even after 6hrs in the saddle.

It's well priced as well, especially in the sales.

bollandinho | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love Castelli, and I'm becoming an even bigger fan of Sportful, which is the same company but cheaper and often a bit more subtle.

I also have a lot of DHB stuff that is really good.

OldnSlo | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could go fir Planet x's own brand for training and summat decent like endura/castelli - for those long days when a good set of padding and a decent fit help a great deal.

Saying that, go to a good LBS and try stuff on. You'll be surprised at the difference in sizing and fit. Personally for me louis garneau tights are the worst fit. Altura are the best.

Scoob_84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not impressed with castelli jerseys. Parted with a lot of money last summer for a fuga jersey only to find it ladders like cheap womens stockings every time I wear it. I swear i put a ladder in it as i took it out of the packaging.

I also own a rapha long sleeve brevet jersey which cost a bomb, even in the sales. With all their chat about the importance of fit, after a few washes i'm starting to find the forearms too tight and the torso to loose. I'm tempted to cut the lower arms off and ping it back to rapha to repair it into a short sleeve.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Also, Milltag are a UK company, run by just a couple of people. So support them!

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Milltag.cc are great for colourful, unusual jerseys. Sets you apart from the logo-plastered big brands like Castelli, or the minimal Rapha/Torm/Chapeau style ones.
Bibs - I'm happy with my Chapeau ones, and the Assos are obviously good too.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

If money is no object you cannot, in my opinion beat Castelli. If money is tight try Start Cycles. Its a Newcastle based company which do their own make and its very good and ridiculously cheap.

I use a lot of their gear, its comfortable, fits well and is not adourned with numerous names and badges.

EDIT: forgot to add their make is "More Mile"

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

Try CervoRosso for premium quality and fit. It may be a little more expensive, but certainly not in the Rapha/Assos price range...the fit is very good and the comfort (pads etc) is first rate....and the selection is excellent as is the customer service (...personal touches, handwritten notes, thank you's etc)...and they look terrific too....

Check out their Facebook page, there was a discount code/promo ongoing

SPAM Naval | 9 years ago
0 likes

Castelli make great gear, lasts really well!

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Assos Bibs. Have a look at Prenda's for jerseys

philtregear | 9 years ago
0 likes

i think getting the size right is rellay important. all the brands vary. i am medium in some, xl in others, large in most. confusing or what. why not buy some more expensive dhb gear if the sizes are good for you?

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Endura FS260 Pro bibs and bib 3/4s have proven to be hard wearing and comfy but these are also a great bargain if you don't mind advertising german tyres:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-logo-bib-shorts/rp-prod70225
they are bit on the smaller size so be generous.

chrisp1973 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a couple of bits from Galibier Velo, a long sleeve training top and some 3/4 bibs, very good and well priced.

I have to say I'm very impressed with a pair of Altura Pro Gel bibs I bought recently, they're very comfortable over long distance and I suspect they'll become my Sportive bibs of choice.

Finally I have some rather expensive Nalini bibs and jersey and whilst they look very nice they're expensive and only as good as the cheaper stuff!

Pages

Latest Comments