Home

Looking to get a GPS for my bike and wondering whether I should go for a Garmin 800 or 810. I definitely want the maps, so that rules out the 500 series, but can't see why the 810 is so much more expensive than the 800? I know it has Bluetooth, but I assume there must be more to it than that to justify the quite significant increase in price?

I will be looking to get the Performance pack, so will be using it with HRM and cadence sensors, but I won't be using power sensors. It will be for road use only.

Any help much appreciated.

4 comments

Shep73 [211 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The 810 can share where you are so family can track your ride, handy if you're a mtber I suppose, I am but I am happy to stick with the 800 for now. If I was you I would look for the 810 without maps and see if it is cheaper and use the link below to get free maps. They have a better look to them than the ones Garmin use. I only use the Garmin supplied one for the mtb and then I switch over to open maps for the road. Obviously you will need to buy a micro sd card as well.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

ashfanman [128 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The 810 can share where you are so family can track your ride, handy if you're a mtber I suppose, I am but I am happy to stick with the 800 for now. If I was you I would look for the 810 without maps and see if it is cheaper and use the link below to get free maps.

Thanks. I am a MTB'er (although I spend an increasing amount of time on-road nowadays), but I'm not looking for a GPS to use off-road. I don't mind stopping every now and then to check a map when riding off-road, but hate having to keep stopping at junctions on-road to make sure I don't get lost.

As for the live tracking, I already have that covered with my phone, which I always take with me on a ride. You're right about the maps though - I was planning on just getting the Performance pack, which comes with cadence/HRM sensors, and then using open source mapping.

Right, so I guess I'll go for the 800. Thanks again.

Shep73 [211 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

If you put a planned route on it, it will put a coloured line on the map, so you just need to keep your pointer on it. Garmin Connect is good as well.

levermonkey [681 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I use an 800 as I ride with my phone switched off. So having the 810 would have been of no benefit to me.

Also the phone I take out with me is not a smart phone. Part of the joy of cycling to me is to be out of touch, to stop the world, to leave the rat race for a few of hours.