Home

Recently I have experienced an unnerving increase in the amount of times a car passes me, drops down a gear and accelerates hard away leaving a plume of horrible fumes from their exhaust. Not restricted to but certainly Audi's, BMW, pretend sports cars types all have done this recently.
Its as if they follow a car based website (like this is for cyclists) and have read a post on how to legally p!ss of cyclists and generally get up their noses.
All of a sudden, every ride I go on this happens.

Anyone else suffer the same and what can we do ?

ta all

17 comments

Avatar
numbercruncher [28 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

To be honest, I think this is more about trying to make a point - 'you've slowed me down, and now I am going to rev my engine so that you notice me and see how quick I can go if you are not in the way', rather than consciously trying to fill our faces with exhaust fumes. It's all part of the 'I'm more important than you' mentality of some drivers, and isn't exclusively used on cyclists either.

Avatar
J Montaño [11 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yup, twice by the owner of a BMW 7 with the personalised plates (nz) BUT SIR, classy.

Avatar
Charles_Hunter [149 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I find if you wave them through when its clear some people say thanks but in general "b1tches be crazy" and you've held them up for INSERT SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME HERE and so they will show their displeasure by the the only means available which is to speed off to the next set of red traffic lights, lowering their mpg in the process. They are truely the apex of all humankind and be worshipped so.

Avatar
spin sugar [48 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Seeing similar situation at lights/ASLs (unless they're packed out with cyclists making it impossible). Lights change approaching, car starts encroaching on ASL space then blasts off. Pretty much negating the benefit of having an ASL in the first place. Some people are just dicks but if you feel it's something more maybe get in touch with your local cycling organisation (e.g. LCC branch if in London) and discuss/report it and they can feed it into the work/lobbying/educating they're doing.

Avatar
The _Kaner [770 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'd agree in most cases with Number Cruncher's response....the cyclist doesn't necessarily have to have held up the driver though...
it's more a case of 'I can, so I will...'...they tend to do the same with drivers of 'lesser' vehicles too...
In Irelend we also tend to have what I call 'RBS'...Random Braking Syndrome...
seemingly inane/nonsensical braking patterns...straight road, no traffic...better use my brakes, etc...and jerky random steering wheel motions...they're the worst type of drivers to contend with especially on rural roads
...compounded with the Gardai (still) turning a blind eye to 'L' plated drivers with no qualified driver accompanying them...
There does not appear to be any 'roadcraft' surrounding driving ability these days...if you can afford the car & petrol..then you're 'sorted'...
It is all rather wearisome...(sic)
 37

Avatar
mrmo [2075 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

when driving, and sorry if this offends I tend to accelerate fairly hard past cyclists.

reason, I tend to slow down, hang back wait for a safe gap then swing very wide to get past, that I am very much on the "wrong" side of the road I don't want to be there for any longer than necessary means I will accelerate fair quickly.

Avatar
giff77 [1251 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

when driving, and sorry if this offends I tend to accelerate fairly hard past cyclists.

reason, I tend to slow down, hang back wait for a safe gap then swing very wide to get past, that I am very much on the "wrong" side of the road I don't want to be there for any longer than necessary means I will accelerate fair quickly.

I can live with that. And have no issue with any other drivers doing so. What I do have issue with is those who drop down a gear and accelerate harshly whilst passing you and giving you a gnat's ass of a space in doing so to simply make a point. I question why HGVs, emergency vehicles can pass me whilst accelerating smoothly and giving plenty of room to do so and the hot hatch Beemer/Audi brigade find it impossible to do so.

Avatar
userfriendly [562 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

I question why HGVs, emergency vehicles can pass me whilst accelerating smoothly and giving plenty of room to do so and the hot hatch Beemer/Audi brigade find it impossible to do so.

Well, some people were born without brains. Doesn't stop them from being given a driving licence.

Avatar
paulrbarnard [182 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Probably kick down on their auto boxes when they accelerate away. I would doubt they would go to the trouble of trying to piss you off by down shifting themselves.

Avatar
philtregear [114 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

i try to find the nearest/ next point i can pull in, stop or slow down and wave them past. invariably this is met with a courteous wave or honk on the horn. i hope this inculcates care and respect from car drivers and their passengers towards other cyclists. i behave similarly carefully towards horses, pushchairs etc. live and let live.

Avatar
philtregear [114 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

i try to find the nearest/ next point i can pull in, stop or slow down and wave them past. invariably this is met with a courteous wave or honk on the horn. i hope this inculcates care and respect from car drivers and their passengers towards other cyclists. i behave similarly carefully towards horses, pushchairs etc. live and let live.

Avatar
Quince [382 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
numbercruncher wrote:

To be honest, I think this is more about trying to make a point - 'you've slowed me down, and now I am going to rev my engine so that you notice me and see how quick I can go if you are not in the way', rather than consciously trying to fill our faces with exhaust fumes. It's all part of the 'I'm more important than you' mentality of some drivers, and isn't exclusively used on cyclists either.

This sums up my thoughts very precisely and elegantly.

So I'll rephrase my thoughts as it being a mentality of "Vroom! Vroom! I'm Mr. Fast! Look at all this power I have under my foot, stupid weakling!". And if it's the kind of cars you say, then I would think the owner might be annoyed that they'd paid so much money to 'have a better car than everyone else' (and therefore be superior), only to have to obey the needs of someone who not even IN a car.

If you think about the amount of extra money it costs to buy a recognisably expensive car (and the amount of effort/stress they may have had to go through to obtain it), it must be quite annoying to realise that it offers you practically no real world benefits at all. On UK roads at least.

Perhaps the weight of all the wasted money/life/effort hurts all the more when you're stuck behind someone with visibly better legs.

This is all unscientific thought experiment, but I imagine that I would be pretty pissed off if I'd spend half my savings on the content of a highly-photoshopped, aspirational, idealistic advert about speed, freedom, and luxury - only to find out I was still trapped on the same roads with the same people and the same laws as before. The adverts always seem to suggest when you buy a car, you get a savannah, a mountain, and several members of the opposite sex free with it. Reality generally doesn't match up.

Avatar
levermonkey [664 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

It's not just car drivers who appear to be 'having a laugh'.

How often are you cycling along and you see up ahead a bus at a bus stop? There are no passengers getting on or off.
Scenario 1. The bus is indicating right to pull away from the stop. I doesn't move. Do you a) overtake the bus only to have it set off at high speed making you look like an inconsiderate tosser who believes that you are more important than other road users, or b) you slow down and stop because the bus doesn't move and then the driver accelerates hard leaving you in a sooty cloud of exhaust fumes.
Scenario 2. Is exactly the same as scenario 1 but the bus is either signalling left or is not signalling at all.

I'm sure they're looking in their mirrors smirking.

Or am I ascribing to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

Avatar
matthewn5 [776 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the 'wave them past when it's safe'. Works for me. It's motorbikes I find that flash past specially fast, to prove a point, wound out to 10,000rpm.

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1198 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Quince wrote:

So I'll rephrase my thoughts as it being a mentality of "Vroom! Vroom! I'm Mr. Fast! Look at all this power I have under my foot, stupid weakling!". And if it's the kind of cars you say, then I would think the owner might be annoyed that they'd paid so much money to 'have a better car than everyone else' (and therefore be superior), only to have to obey the needs of someone who not even IN a car.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the rich-kids in performance cars who do the 'vroom vroom' thing at every set of traffic lights, only to have to screech to a halt again 100 yards up the road at the next set of lights. You can almost smell the frustration!

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1198 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
levermonkey wrote:

It's not just car drivers who appear to be 'having a laugh'.

How often are you cycling along and you see up ahead a bus at a bus stop? There are no passengers getting on or off.
Scenario 1. The bus is indicating right to pull away from the stop. I doesn't move. Do you a) overtake the bus only to have it set off at high speed making you look like an inconsiderate tosser who believes that you are more important than other road users, or b) you slow down and stop because the bus doesn't move and then the driver accelerates hard leaving you in a sooty cloud of exhaust fumes.
Scenario 2. Is exactly the same as scenario 1 but the bus is either signalling left or is not signalling at all.

I'm sure they're looking in their mirrors smirking.

Or am I ascribing to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

I think its neither, just normal human imperfection!

Does seem that buses always suddenly decide to change to signalling pulling-out at the exact moment I go to overtake them. And if I don't overtake they just sit there for an eternity with me stuck behind them breathing in particulates. But I don't believe the drivers do this deliberately, its just some sort of Murphy's-law type thing.

(From previous life as a bus-passenger I always feel a bit sorry for bus-drivers. They have to deal with both the great British Motorist when driving AND the great British public when taking fares and dealing with passengers, and sometimes both at the same time. That seems to me to be a potential double-whammy of stress - given which I think they deal with the extra complication of cyclists relatively well, at least I'll say that till I run into a bad one!).

Avatar
Nzlucas [123 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I want to believe in Karma but rarely do I see cyclists coming out on top.....