***RAFFLE: Bike/Pedals/Wheels/Groupset

by Cmiller3   April 3, 2014  

Hi everyone! Recently a member of my high school and community suffered from a cycling accident. While on a routine ride, he was hit from behind by an unknown vehicle, resulting in a hit-and-run. He suffered minor injuries and was hospitalized for a while, but his bike was completely destroyed. Thank god he was wearing a helmet; he was only left with a broken arm and rib. A few of his friends came together a while ago in hopes of raising some money to fund a custom bicycle project to surprise our friend when he gets out of the hospital! With the help of generous donors and a few local bike shops, we are raffling off bike components including groupsets, wheels, frames and apparel. We would really love to surprise our friend when he is done recovering from the incident with a brand new custom bike, so please help us out! Any donations are welcome as well!!!
As mentioned, a few of his friends have gathered the following for the raffle (all brand new donations from generous donors):

• 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro frameset (stock set-up black size 55cm)
• 2014 Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 Pedals
• 2014 Campagnolo Chorus groupset
• 2014 Campagnolo Athena groupset
• 2014 HED Ardennes wheelset
• 2014 Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset
• 2013 Giro Prolight SLX racing shoes (black) size 42.5
• SKINS C400 compression bibshorts size S
• Skins C400 compression jersey size S
The way this raffle will work is very simple. You can buy as many tickets as you want per item. (You can also win more than one item!) When you purchase a ticket, please specify which item you are putting your bid towards. For example, if you purchased one ticket for the 2014 Shimano Dura-ace 9000 pedals, please include (somewhere) “Ticket for dura ace pedals.” The prices are as follows:
• $25 = 1 ticket
• $50 = 3 tickets
• $100 = 10 tickets
• $250 = 30 tickets
• $500 = 100 tickets
• SPECIFIC NUMBER OF TICKETS WILL BE CALCULATED SEPARATELY, JUST ASK 
We will be selecting a winner On June 1st 2014, each item is raffled off separately. Please note, all proceeds will go directly toward funding the bike project for the victim! We accept payment by paypal ONLY.

PLEASE EMAIL ME FIRST WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
• Your name
• Amount you will be donating / number of tickets you wish to purchase
• Phone number or alternative contact information for updates
WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE TRANSACTION DETAILS!
[EMAIL US AT eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%63%6d%69%6c%6c%65%72%2e%6b%69%77%61%6e%69%73%40%67%6d%61%69%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%63%6d%69%6c%6c%65%72%2e%6b%69%77%61%6e%69%73%40%67%6d%61%69%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b'))]
Thanks for reading all of this, please share this with friends and family to help promote safe cycling and prevent more hit-and-runs! We appreciate all the efforts to help bring back another rider onto the road!

17 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Something not right here

posted by jason.timothy.jones [303 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 12:32

1 Like

jason.timothy.jones wrote:
Something not right here

Yep, like the op being a member for less than 12 hours and their first post being give me money ....

No thanks keep your "prizes"

posted by chiv30 [973 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 12:42

2 Likes

Is the friend a recently deposed Nigerian Prince by any chance?

Dapper Giles's picture

posted by Dapper Giles [66 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 13:25

4 Likes

Dapper Giles wrote:
Is the friend a recently deposed Nigerian Prince by any chance?

Ha! Beat me to it - first thing that crossed my mind.

Mods. Do you want to remove this thread (or at least suspend it until it can be verified)?

ColT's picture

posted by ColT [243 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 13:42

2 Likes

Ha. That reminds me - I have inherited a Aurumania Gold Bike Crystal Edition from the grandson of the late beloved King Naballah-ballahballah the 2nd that has been safely stored in a lock-up in Abuja awaiting your ownerships. If you e-mail me on this not worky email addresses with your details for all your monies, I will give you and hand deliver it at your conveniences!

As said above, seems be a posting that has red flag all over it.

posted by Ghostie [92 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 13:52

4 Likes

Hi, I'd just like to clarify: if you don't wish to participate nobody here is forcing you to. but slandering something a group of students put together is quite immature, especially for a good cause. If you want more information feel free to email me any questions, but please do not spread ignorance!

posted by Cmiller3 [1 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 20:51

3 Likes

Surely with all the parts you have collect to raffle of, you could just make a bike from them and surprise him that way.

Also, I know Road.cc reaches worldwide, but the majority of users are based here in the UK, so sending money to someone in another country is going to look strange, especially when the user has only just joined the forum.

Also, as your post is just a plain copy and paste, you email address does not work with whatever code you had it in.

You are going to be better of trying to raffle them locally and raising money that way, rather than taking to all the bike forums around the world,.

One other thing that you haven't thought about, say I bought tickets for the frame, groupset and wheels, then I ended up winning one or more of them. Do you know what that is going to cost to post to the UK, it will be expensive. Who covers that?

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9163 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 21:18

4 Likes

Some questions...

Does the 'victim' have a name?, you say a group of students, but offer no links or history, when will this be provided? how can you prove this is legitimate? how many other forums have you posted this to? do you have the appropriate local permissions/certificates/licences to run an international raffle? do you really think that we are all so credulous?

I await your answers, to mine and the other questions

3rd April 2014 - 21:43

2 Likes

Cmiller3 wrote:
Hi, I'd just like to clarify: if you don't wish to participate nobody here is forcing you to. but slandering something a group of students put together is quite immature, especially for a good cause. If you want more information feel free to email me any questions, but please do not spread ignorance!

why cant you just post all the relevant details here? If I sent you an email asking for money without evidence of legitimacy, how would you react?

Also how are we/I spreading ignorance

3rd April 2014 - 21:46

1 Like

First the chemtrails guy and now this. What treasures will tomorrow bring I wonder?

joemmo's picture

posted by joemmo [989 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 22:09

1 Like

Awesome competition. I have sent him $2000 and I expect to get at least one win Day Dreaming

posted by edster99 [250 posts]
3rd April 2014 - 22:11

3 Likes

Cmiller3 wrote:
Hi, I'd just like to clarify...

Go on then. Please provide full details of the said victim along with any other information to validate your raffle, as requested by others but which you have so far chosen to ignore.

When you've done that, can you send me about $1,000 as a form of guarantee. I'll return it after I see evidence and the results of the raffle. Honest, guv'.

Seriously, though - how do you expect your post not to be taken without a degree of scepticism if you provide nothing to prove it's genuine?

ColT's picture

posted by ColT [243 posts]
4th April 2014 - 2:41

2 Likes

Aren't we a few days late for April Fool's Day? Good effort though! Laughing

In the perhaps unlikely event that the incident more generally is legit, this was my thinking too...

Gkam84 wrote:
Surely with all the parts you have collect to raffle of, you could just make a bike from them and surprise him that way?

posted by parksey [339 posts]
4th April 2014 - 7:07

2 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
Also, as your post is just a plain copy and paste, you email address does not work with whatever code you had it in.

Yep - looks like it's just copied from a web page (perhaps the OPs, doesn't make much difference). Decodes to

eval(unescape('document.write('cmiller.kiwanis@gmail.com');'))

..so consistent, but still not much help.

fukawitribe's picture

posted by fukawitribe [711 posts]
4th April 2014 - 7:46

2 Likes

I'm guessing the shops that donated all this new kit would like some free publicity, could you name them please?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice...

posted by notfastenough [3590 posts]
9th April 2014 - 15:35

1 Like

What's a $? Looks like the mark of the Death-Eaters.

I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1578 posts]
10th April 2014 - 11:28

2 Likes

Cmiller3 wrote:

Surely you'd be better off posting the information rather than getting 100 emails from different people all asking the same thing, and having to write 100 answers?

So to help kick things off, how many tickets for each part are you going to issue? I want to know the odds of winning, i am very lucky and win all the competitions i enter, even some i didn't enter too, but its good to know in advance what odds i'm going to get on my $100 investment!

posted by md6 [170 posts]
10th April 2014 - 15:29

2 Likes