Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HELP! Squealing front wheel.

My front wheel has developed a high pitched squeal at very low speeds ie when setting off or stopping.

I had the bike on the stand last night and here is what I've worked out so far:

1) It's definitely not the brakes
2) It only happens when the QR is tight (ie I can almost make it disappear if I set the QR looser but not really an option)
3) There doesn't appear to be any play in the wheel when the QR is tight, or at all for that matter
4) It only happens at very low speed
5) Although it is clearly the wheel it almost sounds as if the noise is coming from the juncture of headtube and fork?

The wheel is otherwise good, no grinding, spins freely and although it is very slightly out of true there isn't anything else wrong with it that I can tell.

Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have at look at the hub and see if there is a rubber seal at either end, if there is stick a screwdriver behind it and spray in some GT85. Used to be quite common on low to mid range wheels.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:

Have at look at the hub and see if there is a rubber seal at either end, if there is stick a screwdriver behind it and spray in some GT85. Used to be quite common on low to mid range wheels.

As long as you only prise off/out the seal using the screwdriver... DO NOT stick the screwdriver into the hub!  1

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

Redmeat - check the wheel by means of a visual inspection, and see if the squeal sounds when a particulat spoke is in the vacinity of the ground. Then look at the rim/ spoke area and see if a squirrel, hamster or mouse is attached. If so, remove it and administer first aid.

Good luck and blue skies!

Cantab replied to Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes
Comrade wrote:

Redmeat - check the wheel by means of a visual inspection, and see if the squeal sounds when a particulat spoke is in the vacinity of the ground. Then look at the rim/ spoke area and see if a squirrel, hamster or mouse is attached. If so, remove it and administer first aid.

Good luck and blue skies!

That's twice you've made me chuckle at the breakfast table this morning... thank you for brightening the start to my day!  21

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would imagine that your bearings will be drier than an Arabs sandal. Get the hub serviced.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

make and model of wheel or hub ?

redmeat replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

make and model of wheel or hub ?

Campag Scirrocco 35.

Latest Comments